•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NexStar Evo 6 (with wedge) for EAA

SCT observing mount equipment EAA dso eq ccd
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nvastro

nvastro

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Illinois, USA

Posted 01 April 2019 - 01:46 AM

Hi all,
I want to share my experience with the new Celestron Evo EQ Wedge with my NexStar Evo 6 for EAA.  Tonight was my first night out with this wedge.  First of all, the build quality is top notch!  Heavy and very stable with very little vibration.  Polar alignment was straight forward(I did a drift alignment to an accuracy of about 5 minutes in both azimuth and altitude).  So it was very accurate.  I also used my MallinCam Jr Pro EX Color to do the polar alignment procedure to monitor the alignment stars.  There seems to be a dislike of Eq wedges among many amateur astronomers.  I know I had a bad experience with a wedge for my old Meade LX90 many years ago.  But the build quality of the wedge makes a world of difference.  I am somewhat surprised at how stable this Celestron wedge is!  Since I had a good polar alignment, I was able to go to 2 minute exposures unguided(yes I said unguided!) with the MallinCam Jr Pro using the NexStar Evo 6(yes this is an awesome telescope too, with great tracking accuracy).  I used a 0.5x focal reducer to bring the 6 inch Evo down to about F5.4(about 820mm focal length) at approx. 2.1 arcsec/pixel resolution.  I'm so happy I bought the Celestron wedge since it helps me in several ways(more sky coverage before clearance issues with the mount arise, no more cord wrap issues,  more accurate goto's,  better tracking).  Here's a pic of my setup.  Enjoy!

[attachment=1238224:NexStarEvo6.jpg]

• Stargazer3236, cmooney91 and Dana Mason like this

#2 chilldaddy

chilldaddy

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Norman, OK

Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:56 PM

nvastro,

This is interesting to hear.  I'd considered a wedge but heard so many negative comments that I backed off.  Aside from build quality, is there anything else that makes this different?  Are the adjustments easier than previous wedges?

Thanks,

Greg

• nvastro likes this

#3 nvastro

nvastro

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Illinois, USA

Posted 02 April 2019 - 11:06 PM

nvastro,

This is interesting to hear.  I'd considered a wedge but heard so many negative comments that I backed off.  Aside from build quality, is there anything else that makes this different?  Are the adjustments easier than previous wedges?

Thanks,

Greg

Hi Greg,

I hope you're doing well.  I was put off as well initially, but I bought the wedge anyway.  I'm pleasantly surprised at the functionality.  The Az and Alt adjustment knobs are very large, easy to turn, and smooth.  The ergonomics are great from what I can tell.  Because I had a bad experience with an Meade LX90 wedge, as I mentioned before, I was skeptical at first.  From what I can tell from focusing my Evo 6, there is not much vibration, just the same amount as it has in Alt-Az Mode.  Very stable.  All in all, I'm very happy with this wedge and it was a great purchase.  Now I can take longer exposures and possibly auto guide the Evo mount if I wanted smile.gif

Clear Skies,

Navid

• chilldaddy likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics