I currently own an Orion 10" Intelliscope reflector (FL=1200 mm). What I would like to do is the following:
- Install a concrete pier in my backyard.
- Install a motorized/goto mount on to the pier.
- Install my current 10" reflector on the mount. This backyard is in Northeast Ohio so aperture is important with the light pollution present.
- Leave the scope mounted outside under a shed that can be rolled away.
I plan to use the telescope for both visual and EAA, but not any sophisticated imaging. The benefit of the pier will be super-fast setups - walk out, power-up, quick alignment, and observe. I'd like to be able to perform EAA in the winter from inside my house (probably using the ZWO-ASI cameras) as well using the INDI mount support.
As a result, I'm looking for recommendations on mounts. Right now I am thinking an alt-az mount for ease of use and not having to fiddle with the reflector's positioning. Preferably, the mount's specification would include:
- Hold a scope around 28 lbs (the intelliscope optical tube is 27 lbs plus the camera)
- Motorized and goto
- Good tracking is enough - visual and EAA
- INDI compatible
- Ability to buy the head only (no tripod needed)
Some mounts I've found:
- iOptron AZ Mount Pro - can hold 33 lbs; is my scope too close to the limit?
- Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G
- Sirius Pro AZ/German Eq
- Skywatcher AZ-EQ5
The iOptron is the only one I've been able to find available to purchase as just a head.
Thanks for any and all advice or recommendations!
Edited by OhioKraken, 02 April 2019 - 01:50 PM.