•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Rocky Mountain Star Stare (RMSS) 2019

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 juram

juram

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado Springs, CO

Posted 02 April 2019 - 10:08 PM

Registration for the 2019 Rocky Mountain Star Stare is now open.  June 26-30 2019. To find out more about the Colorado Springs Astronomical Society premier star party, visit the website at http://rmss.org/

We have a great lineup of speakers, events for the whole family, and incredibly dark skies for outstanding observing.  But best of all, we always host a great bunch of folks!

We hope to see you there!

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo-Jun-14-10-42-05-AM.jpg

• jwestervelt likes this

#2 jwestervelt

jwestervelt

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Posted 02 April 2019 - 10:18 PM

Thanks for this.  It might make for a good escape from the summer heat.

• tdeclue likes this

#3 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 03 April 2019 - 09:40 AM

I have it on my calendar. (^8

John Love

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

• juram and tdeclue like this

#4 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Soyuz

• ****-
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado, US

Posted 04 April 2019 - 07:24 PM

I'm in! Only missed one year since 1991.

Joe

• tdeclue likes this

#5 juram

juram

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:28 PM

If you are interested in learning more about RMSS, here's a YouTube video produced by members of the Colorado Springs Astronomical Society:

https://www.youtube....=X-bXLEQs0EY&t=

Edited by juram, 14 April 2019 - 07:36 PM.

#6 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Soyuz

• ****-

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:31 PM

I'll try to get last year's RMSS on my YouTube star parties page, bad internet connections these days. Meanwhile here are the videos of the past RMSS events from 1991 onward. 

Joe 

#7 juram

juram

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 April 2019 - 02:07 PM

I'll try to get last year's RMSS on my YouTube star parties page, bad internet connections these days. Meanwhile here are the videos of the past RMSS events from 1991 onward. 

Joe 

Thanks Joe.  See you in June!

#8 tdeclue

tdeclue

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:35 AM

Jim - Thanks for bringing some attention to this national level star party.  What's so nice about RMSS is that the views during the day are as spectacular as the ultra dark night starcape views.  We still have plenty of room and about a month remaining before registration costs jump up to the late rate.  

#9 Matt Russell

Matt Russell

Messenger

• -----

Posted 23 April 2019 - 12:03 PM

Can't wait until this years Star Stare!  It's going to be as awesome as always, if not better!

#10 hlritter

hlritter

Sputnik

• Loc: Toledo, OH, and Sun City, FL, USA

Posted 23 April 2019 - 04:02 PM

I'm going to be attending RMSS this year with one son and one brother, staying in an RV. We're going to have several telescopes and at least one of them will be unwieldy to set up and take down every night and day. This brings up two questions.

First, do the organizers and past attendees regard it as generally safe to leave big scopes set up the whole time, under a cover or a tent during the day? I suspect the answer is Yes, but I'd like to hear from someone who knows.

Second, does anyone have a recommendation for a pavilion-style tent spacious enough to accommodate several telescopes, be able to be taken partially down for observing, and be able to be closed up entirely when observing's done as protection against sun, wind, dirt, tumbleweeds and what have you? It would probably need to be floorless in order to be easy to move aside (and not to be damaged by tripods), or if not floorless, able to have the sides lowered for observing.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Howard

#11 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Soyuz

• ****-

Posted 23 April 2019 - 09:12 PM

It is usually safe to leave scopes out. They usually have waterproof tarps or special made coats over them plus they are anchored down because of the wind. Good idea to strip the scope of eyepieces for safe keeping and Telrad type devices or finder scopes as they may interfere in putting a cover over them. The large pavilion type tops may problems with the wind during the daylight hours. There is a lot of kite flying to testify to that. Also be sure that these large setups don't interfere with the other scope setups at night. 

Joe

Edited by Joe F Gafford, 23 April 2019 - 09:14 PM.

#12 juram

juram

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 April 2019 - 12:06 AM

Howard -- glad to hear you are planning to attend RMSS this year.  You'll have a great time and meet a lot of great people.

Regarding leaving your telescope set up during the day, you'll have no problems with that.  You'll see that nearly everyone leaves their scopes set up during the entire event.  The event is held on our club's private property, and other than a handful of local landowners using the road adjacent to the property, you very likely won't see any non-attendees during the event.  

You will definitely want to keep your telescopes covered during the day.  Most people use standard scope covers, but I've seen large tarps and even trash bags used to protect the equipment from rain or dust.  Beware that when it rains during the day, it often is accompanied by wind, so using a sun shade or some similar item may not completely keep the rain off of your equipment.  Your best bet is to have something to cover the telescopes or mounts individually as the best choice for keeping the rain and dust out.

If you check out the RMSS website, go to the Gallery section for photos to see what folks use to protect their equipment from the sun, rain and dust.

We're looking forward to meeting you in June! 

#13 Matt Russell

Matt Russell

Messenger

• -----

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:10 PM

Just a reminder that early registration ends on Sunday, May 19th.  After that, rates do increase.

Howard, I have attended RMSS for the last 20 years and I leave my scope(s) out the entire time, but pull off all eyepieces and/or accessories.  I do cover the scope up with a standard scope/mount cover.  As Jim mentioned, it can get a bit windy during the day.  This is a really good crowd and haven't seen any sort of shenanigans ever happen, but that doesn't mean it can't. 

#14 harbinjer

harbinjer

Ranger 4

• Loc: Southeastern Minnesota

Posted 27 May 2019 - 11:30 PM

Hi everyone! I'll be there for the first time this year. I have at least two friends coming from my astronomy club. Regarding the wind: do people with RV's use awnings, or keep them closed in general? I was in the Black Hills two years ago and someone kindly mentioned that several awnings had been ripped off RV's due to sudden gusts of wind, so I didn't use ours. Also for staking down tents, what is the soil like? Will "regular" tent stakes work ok?  Are there mosquitos to watch out for?  Any other environmental factors to consider? 

#15 tdeclue

tdeclue

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 May 2019 - 09:47 AM

Yes we do sometimes get wind gusts that can damage RV awnings, usually in the afternoon.  They have also been know to knock over a DOB scope too.  Most RV'ers still use their awnings, but roll them up/put them away when they leave their site.  

The soil tends to be sandy near the surface.  I've used a tent and pop-up canopy at the site since we bought the property in 2008 and haven't had a problem with standard steel wire stakes but they do occasionally pull out from wind gusts.  Just have to keep an eye on 'em.    Hope this helps, Tom DeClue

RMSS Director

• harbinjer likes this

#16 JOEinCO

JOEinCO

Messenger

• Loc: Colorado Front Range

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:59 AM

Anyone else out there planning on attending this year?

#17 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 01 June 2019 - 11:21 AM

I am watching weather trends and if it looks like it may  be clear I may make a last minute dash up there.  I am severely "Dark Deprived". 

John

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

• Joe F Gafford likes this

#18 tdeclue

tdeclue

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:18 PM

JOEinCo, we have about 320 people registered at this time.  So YES there are plenty out there planning to attend!

#19 paul

paul

Messenger

• Loc: pa

Posted 02 June 2019 - 09:56 PM

Hello,

I would love to come to this starparty however I won;t know for sure I can make it till around the 24th.

I saw the post about entries. Is it possible to show up at the gate?? I will be tent camping.

Thanks

Paul

#20 tdeclue

tdeclue

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:53 AM

Hi Paul,

Yes it is okay to register upon arrival.  However, you should check the rmss.org website before departing to make sure we haven't exceeded our maximums.  Right now, based on trends we will be close.

Thanks for asking.   Tom

• paul likes this

#21 JOEinCO

JOEinCO

Messenger

• Loc: Colorado Front Range

Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:33 PM

Anyone else out there planning on attending this year?

JOEinCO, we have about 320 people registered at this time.  So YES there are plenty out there planning to attend!

Let me rephrase:

Anyone else out there in the CN universe planning on attending this year?

#22 Davesterx

Davesterx

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:16 PM

Let me rephrase:

Anyone else out there in the CN universe planning on attending this year?

Joe, I don't think I understand what you're asking. Several people have responded that they are attending. I'm attending. There are a lot more of those 320 people that are attending that are on CN but didn't reply to your e-mail. So, I had thought that your question was answered but to answer it again, the answer to your question is YES!

I'm planning on taking my 14" Dob and maybe my new Stellarvue 70MM imaging rig. I still have some work to do on some of my observing challenges but every RMSS I attend I end up getting busy doing other fun observing with the rest of the folks in attendance.

Dave

#23 paul

paul

Messenger

• Loc: pa

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:49 AM

Hi
How did the preregistration go?
Still hoping I can make it
Thanks
Paul

#24 harbinjer

harbinjer

Ranger 4

• Loc: Southeastern Minnesota

Posted 19 June 2019 - 12:05 PM

What is the bug situation at RMSS? Are there mosquitos or other flying pests?  Are there any cactuses on the property that you have to watch out for?  Lastly I didn't see a policy about human powered bicycles; are they allowed, and if so, do people bring them?

#25 tdeclue

tdeclue

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 June 2019 - 12:25 PM

Paul and 'harbinjer',

RMSS will be full but we won't turn anyone down that wants to register on-site.  We've fully mowed all the fields last weekend, and with the additional campsites we created at our work weekend in May, we think the site will easily handle the numbers that plan to attend, ~350.  

Regarding bugs and insect pests.  We have very few insects, however, we still recommend attendees use insect repellant.  There can be some mosquitos and other biting insects, but the dry, high altitude environment minimizes these insects.

Regarding cactus, there are a few very small button cactus and prickly pear that you will want to be on the lookout for.  You should always wear good shoes, and I would discourage wearing any type of open sandals. 

Regarding human powered bicycles, they're a good option. A few people bring them to get around.  

Hope this helps,

Tom DeClue

Director, RMSS 2019

• paul and harbinjer like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics