•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Rocky Mountain Star Stare (RMSS) 2019

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#26 Matt Russell

Matt Russell

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:49 AM

What is the bug situation at RMSS? Are there mosquitos or other flying pests?  Are there any cactuses on the property that you have to watch out for?  Lastly I didn't see a policy about human powered bicycles; are they allowed, and if so, do people bring them?

Harbinger,

As a cabin owner in northern MN who lives in CO, I have yet to see any mosquitoes that can be mistaken for bats, as  you can in MN.  :)  I would bring some insect repellent just in case.  Citronella candles are a no-go at Star Stare.  First, we do not allow open flames and second, the odor can attract bears.

Matt

• harbinjer and txmnjim like this

#27 Matt Russell

Matt Russell

Messenger

• -----

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:58 AM

Let me rephrase:

Anyone else out there in the CN universe planning on attending this year?

You bet Joe!  There are a lot of folks here on CN that are attending, including me!

#28 Ron359

Ron359

Apollo

• Loc: -105 +39

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:29 PM

Where is this Reveille wildfire in relation to the SS site? At 9.5 miles north of Gardner,  It has got to be pretty close.  At 158 acres, its nothing to ignore....   

https://inciweb.nwcg.../incident/6381/

#29 tdeclue

tdeclue

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:49 PM

Hi Ron, I was down at the site on both Saturday and Sunday to mow the fields.  I could see some smoke from the smoldering reveille fire about 6 miles away to the Northeast of the site on Saturday.  We had some rains Saturday and when I returned on Sunday I couldn't see any smoke.  The fire site is about two thousand feet higher on the West side of Greenhorn mountain.  The forest service has made the conscience decision to let it burn out because of the rugged terrain it's located in and the low fire danger.  Apparently it was started by lightning  It's been smoldering for about 3 weeks and there's more rain expected this weekend which should help keep it down.  We're not ignoring it, but unless there's a major change in conditions It shouldn't be a threat to our area.  Hope this helps,  Tom 

Edited by tdeclue, 21 June 2019 - 08:01 PM.

• Joe F Gafford and Ron359 like this

#30 JOEinCO

JOEinCO

Messenger

• Loc: Colorado Front Range

Posted 23 June 2019 - 08:21 AM

Let me rephrase:

Anyone else out there in the CN universe planning on attending this year?

Joe, I don't think I understand what you're asking.....

It's a fairly simple, straightforward question (or so I thought). lol.gif ..... I was just trying to drum up some pre-Star Stare conversation and see if some CN folks were going. I'll be there. waytogo.gif 

Now if we could all just do some collective Non-Cloud Dance. The forecast looks terrible (and I'm a positive thinker!).

#31 tdeclue

tdeclue

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 June 2019 - 12:20 PM

Joe,

I don't know what weather forecast you're looking at but the National Wx forecast and the Dark Sky weather site looks very promising for RMSS.  

Here are web-links I rely on and their Wx summaries: 

https://forecast.wea...8#.XQ-waC2ZPGI 

Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 52. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
Thursday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 52. West southwest wind 5 to 15 mph.
Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 53. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west after midnight.

Here's what the DarkSky weather forecast site is saying for RMSS:

https://darksky.net/...105.20/us12/en 

Wednesday: Mostly cloudy during the day and then partly cloudy after dark
Thursday: Clear all day and night until midnight after which it will become partly cloudy
Friday: Clear all day and night until 2am then cloudy

Saturday: Clear most of the day and then Partly cloudy after about 6pm.  

So I'm seeing at least 2 and maybe 3 great nights of observing.  Of course getting the weather forecast spot on for the small geographical microclimates in the mountain regions of Colorado can be a challenge, particularly the later days in the forecast, but the forecast this week is very encouraging for most looking at this data.  Tom

ps. a weather dance for no clouds never hurts. ;^) 

Edited by tdeclue, 23 June 2019 - 12:21 PM.

#32 JOEinCO

JOEinCO

Messenger

Posted 23 June 2019 - 02:33 PM

I like your models much more than what I saw at ClearOutside's site! Told you I was a positive thinker! Worked AGAIN.... cool.gif

• tdeclue likes this

#33 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 27 June 2019 - 01:37 AM

Any reports from the RMSS ??

#34 tdeclue

tdeclue

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 June 2019 - 11:01 AM

David please check the RMSS Facebook page for status 

Thanks.  Tom

#35 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 27 June 2019 - 11:36 AM

But then.... for those that don't do Facebook....

• JNDiller likes this

#36 JOEinCO

JOEinCO

Messenger

Posted 28 June 2019 - 04:15 PM

Two amazing clear nights so far. Overnight lows in the high 50’s. Great crew running it; these Colorado Springs club guys are great!
  • paul, CCD-Freak and txmnjim like this

#37 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 28 June 2019 - 05:15 PM

Wish it had worked out so I could have gone this year.

John Love

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

#38 Matt Russell

Matt Russell

Messenger

• -----

Posted 30 June 2019 - 06:32 PM

4 for 4 nights of awesome observing.  Thanks all for coming.  What a great event.

• txmnjim likes this

#39 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Soyuz

• ****-
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado, US

Posted 30 June 2019 - 10:45 PM

Wednesday and Thursday nights excellent until the Moon came up. Friday and Saturday nights partly cloudy with enough spaces to observe with for your lists. Better event in years weather-wise, even though it was hot and dusty in the day.  I imaged 4 objects during this event. Last year: 0 objects during RMSS and Okie-Tex due to weather. M92. Also there may be ice available next year as there is electricity onsite. Charging stations for cellphones and other small stuff inside the building, Lead-acid batteries outside of the building.

Wednesday at noon. By sundown, the spaces filled up more than usual for the first day. The CSAS area. Click to enlarge.

RMSS_2019_Panorama2a.jpg

Joe

• CCD-Freak and juram like this

#40 Davesterx

Davesterx

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 01 July 2019 - 04:51 PM

Wednesday and Thursday nights excellent until the Moon came up. Friday and Saturday nights partly cloudy with enough spaces to observe with for your lists. Better event in years weather-wise, even though it was hot and dusty in the day.  I imaged 4 objects during this event. Last year: 0 objects during RMSS and Okie-Tex due to weather. M92. Also there may be ice available next year as there is electricity onsite. Charging stations for cellphones and other small stuff inside the building, Lead-acid batteries outside of the building.

Wednesday at noon. By sundown, the spaces filled up more than usual for the first day. The CSAS area. Click to enlarge.

attachicon.gif RMSS_2019_Panorama2a.jpg

Joe

Actually, Saturday night looked terrible so hardly anyone set up their scopes but it turned out to be one of the best nights after 10 PM or so. I was doing an Astronomy Merit Badge program for the Boy Scouts that had served us pancakes and eggs for breakfast so I did that and then just worked on my observing lists sharing views with anyone that wanted a look through my 14" dob until I wore down at around 2 AM. Just about everyone that came by my scope was from the Denver Astronomical Society so a shout out to DAS! I ended the night with a group looking through Bob's (A CS ASTRO club member) 20" dob at Stephens Quintet and Neptune.

RMSS is a great family friendly event and I really loved the offering of yoga, playing of musical instruments with people singing along and dancing, kids activities, a photography 101, and the talks and the availability of food on site for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The newly added ability to charge electronic devices was nice too. There are a few things I'd like to see RMSS do better but even so it was still the best star party I've attended so far!

Dave W.

• JOEinCO likes this

#41 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Soyuz

• ****-
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado, US

Posted 05 July 2019 - 08:39 PM

This year's kids' kites. Made and assembled there. Click to enlarge.

Kites1b_web.jpg

Joe

• txmnjim likes this

#42 mogur

mogur

Gemini

• Loc: WI

Posted 16 July 2019 - 07:54 PM

Next year for sure as I'm going to be moving to Colorado! laugh.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics