•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Proxima Centauri

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 03 April 2019 - 09:14 PM

I’ve never considered looking for our closest star to the sun, so I tracked it down last night.

I used Sky Safari 6 with the extended star database at the eyepiece of the 32”. There were some neat little asterisms in the field around Proxima Cent that made orientating very easy. Funny thing was, I couldn’t confirm it were SS6 was indicating. At magnitude 11, it’s a fairly bright star versus the rest of the star field. I could identify a star around that magnitude almost one arc minute north west of the plotted location. I was certain what I was seeing was Proxima Cent, but confused by the incorrect plotting.

Then it dawned on me. I had Sky Safari set for Epoch 2000, so what I was actually seeing was Proxima Centauri’s position 19 years advanced from the location plotted in SS6.

• Inkswitch, Kunama, herschelobjects and 9 others like this

#2 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 04 April 2019 - 01:06 AM

Great catch Allan.  Hope you guys are getting lots of clear viewing up there.  At this stage I still hope to be there for Saturday evening.

#3 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 04 April 2019 - 05:02 PM

Matt, we’ve had four great nights out of four. The next two nights look just as good. We are looking forward to you getting here.

• Kunama and Tyson M like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics