•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Trading in my chevy for a cadillac ac ac ac: Celestron to Paramount MyT

Celestron equipment imaging mount observatory
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DavidCompton

DavidCompton

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Oklahoma

Posted 05 April 2019 - 04:02 PM

For those interested in my never-ending saga with a Celestron CGX mount, I wanted to share the news that it finally wore me down and broke me.

I have fixed several issues and got it working okay.  But over the weekend I was trying a long image session and several times after a goto, the mount stopped tracking. Like--- sidereal rate turned off. The ASCOM driver still reported that the mount thought it was tracking. I got star trails in my images until I caught it.

I was able to work around it by telling the software to turn off tracking (it still showed tracking was enabled) and turning it back on again. But by then I would have to slew back a few degrees to get my target centered.

I have been considering a move up to a more reliable product for some time. That was the last straw.

As Billy Joel once said...

Anyway, I know it's a higher price point and not a strictly fair comparison. But I expect better pointing, tracking, and reliability from the Paramount MyT.

I'm keeping my Celestron Edge 1100 OTA and I'll put an AT72Ed up top for a guide scope and for wide shots. The total package with cameras will weigh 43 lbs, and for now I will trust the advertised equipment capacity of 50 lbs to have me covered. I hold no cows sacred so if this turns out to be an expensive boondoggle, I'll report back.

But this will be my first higher end mount so please share my happiness and I'll telepathically buy you a cold beverage of your choice. ... There, wasn't that refreshing!

• Erik30, wrnchhead and Cfreerksen like this

#2 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Viking 1

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 05 April 2019 - 04:21 PM

I am also looking to get away from Celestron mounts, an exercise in frustration. Sky Watcher here I come! 

• DavidCompton likes this

#3 Maudy

Maudy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:41 PM

Anyway, I know it's a higher price point and not a strictly fair comparison. But I expect better pointing, tracking, and reliability from the Paramount MyT.

I'm keeping my Celestron Edge 1100 OTA...

For what it is worth, I had comparable issues with slewing, centring, guiding with my CGEMDX. I switched from the CGEMDX to a Myt just over 1 year ago. It is used with a EdgeHD11, LiteCrawler, ASI Camera’s, guider and such. The payload comes to about 45lbs.

The Myt process is different and it took a few months of practise. It was worth it. It all just works for me. The price was hard to do, but I love it and have no regrets. The Myt has not messed up on me. Now, me making mistakes... that another story.

I wish you luck.

Cheers!

#4 macdonjh

macdonjh

Skylab

Posted 06 April 2019 - 08:52 AM

I've never owned a Celestron mount, but a friend (who is now away from the hobby) had a terrible experience with Celestron support.  I hope that has been fixed.  I also hear enough bad experiences reported here to not want to try them.  I like Celestron SCTs, though.

I'm sure you'll love your MyT.  Are you well versed in The SkyX?  Also, do you have differential flexure managed with your piggy-back arrangement?  Another friend of mine never got good photographic results from his C14 until he changed to an off-axis guider.  Differential flexure killed his subs.

#5 CharlesW

CharlesW

Long time member

• ***--
  • Loc: Chula Vista, CA

Posted 06 April 2019 - 10:53 AM

Although your total scope weight is 43 pounds, putting a 72mm scope on top of your C11 might cause you to have to add so much counterweight that you will exceed the MyT’s capacity. An example, I use 120 lbs to balance my CDK 14. When I strapped a 130 on top of it I had to use 60 more lbs, not just the weight of the Stellarvue. To get that 72 stabilized enough to guide you may need to put the C11 in rings, which are going to be about 12 lbs. Aside from all of that, you will love the MyT. Then you’ll start pining for the MX+. 

#6 Dynan

Dynan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 06 April 2019 - 11:18 AM

Billy Joel wants to know what you're going to do with the CGX once you bail on such a nice mount...hmm.gif

(Saw Billy front row back in the 'Christie' days...)

Edited by Dynan, 06 April 2019 - 11:20 AM.

#7 DavidCompton

DavidCompton

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 April 2019 - 02:19 PM

Although your total scope weight is 43 pounds, putting a 72mm scope on top of your C11 might cause you to have to add so much counterweight that you will exceed the MyT’s capacity. An example, I use 120 lbs to balance my CDK 14. When I strapped a 130 on top of it I had to use 60 more lbs, not just the weight of the Stellarvue. To get that 72 stabilized enough to guide you may need to put the C11 in rings, which are going to be about 12 lbs. Aside from all of that, you will love the MyT. Then you’ll start pining for the MX+. 

That’s a really good point and was emphasized by bisque forum answers when I asked about capacity. I have a set of parallax rings on order to bolt to the versa plate directly, so will save the weight of the bottom dovetail. And I’m going to run just the main OTA for a while with an OAG before adding the second scope. That way I hope to notice if things go wrong. 

#8 DavidCompton

DavidCompton

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 April 2019 - 02:24 PM

Billy Joel wants to know what you're going to do with the CGX once you bail on such a nice mount...hmm.gif

(Saw Billy front row back in the 'Christie' days...)

I’m probably going to sell it on eBay with disclaimers. I wouldn’t want to sell to my friends here or on Astromart. I may even label it for parts. But It’s not broken, and the hand controller works fine with it in portable mode. All that runs as advertised and expected.  I just can’t get it to my satisfaction with a fixed install in my dome.  Too many variables. 

How’s he gonna image with a broken back?

at least he can look out his wind-ers.  

• Dynan likes this

#9 tcchittyjr

tcchittyjr

Explorer 1

• Loc: Orlando, FL

Posted 06 April 2019 - 02:29 PM

I bought a MyT 2 years ago and haven't regretted it for a minute. I sold me Sirius EQ-G (and with a LITTLE EXTRA CASH) bought the MyT. It has been rock-solid. As someone above mentioned, though, I haven't! Learning TheSkyX got much easier with LTI Technical Preview (YouTube is your friend in this case) and if my processing skills were 1/3 the ability of the mount, I'd post an image to show you. Enjoy your new mount!

TomC 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, equipment, imaging, mount, observatory

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics