•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Missing NEAF and pouting

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jupiter122

jupiter122

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Sudbury, MA

Posted 06 April 2019 - 01:12 PM

Was planning to go to NEAF and then wound up needing to travel to assist my elderly and ailing father-in-law.  Happy to be helping but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't pouting. I am about to spring for some nice gear and that makes it doubly disappointing!

Have fun everyone

Tim

#2 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 06 April 2019 - 01:14 PM

To bad they don't broadcast from it like they have done in the past.

#3 jupiter122

jupiter122

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Sudbury, MA

Posted 06 April 2019 - 01:40 PM

Apparently some of the talks are being streamed live on YouTube

#4 Gregory2012

Gregory2012

Ranger 4

• Loc: Gig Harbor,WA.

Posted 06 April 2019 - 01:52 PM

I wish they would hold a similar conference on the west coast. There doesn't seem to be anything on that scale ever happening here.

Have fun out there,

Gregory Gig Harbor, WA.

• vdog likes this

#5 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 07 April 2019 - 10:17 AM

Moved to Astronomy Shows & Conferences for better fit.

#6 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 07 April 2019 - 02:14 PM

Apparently some of the talks are being streamed live on YouTube

Yeah, they are streaming the presentations. Saw them on their FB page. Pretty cool if you can't be there. Astronomy and S&T has always done a video recap.

#7 CaptKirk

CaptKirk

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 07 April 2019 - 04:37 PM

Me too.

#8 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:18 PM

I wish they would hold a similar conference on the west coast. There doesn't seem to be anything on that scale ever happening here.

Have fun out there,

Gregory Gig Harbor, WA.

I don't think the hobby is big enough to sustain such events twice a year.    Roland, Marge, and the astro-physics team are there; Scott Losmandy is there; Scott Roberts is there; a whole bunch of people are there that you may not recognize but have seen on the net or in an astro-mag.  I don't see them doing it twice.  And with total expenditures in recreational astronomy around $100 to $200 million a year there isn't a lot of margin to send a lot of people hither and yon.  

Many of the vendors that come I think are very happy to break even and just be a part of the scene.  

• George N and hfjacinto like this

#9 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 14 April 2019 - 02:50 PM

…..

Many of the vendors that come I think are very happy to break even and just be a part of the scene.  

A few years ago I heard the iOptron rep say that NEAF is really important to them "because this is one of the few chances we get to discuss the products directly with our customers. We learn a lot from that."

#10 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 14 April 2019 - 02:53 PM

A few years ago I heard the iOptron rep say that NEAF is really important to them "because this is one of the few chances we get to discuss the products directly with our customers. We learn a lot from that."

Don't kid yourself!  They go there to see what Roland has come up with and copy it!  

• George N and Gregory2012 like this

#11 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 14 April 2019 - 02:56 PM

I don't think the hobby is big enough to sustain such events twice a year.    Roland, Marge, and the astro-physics team are there; Scott Losmandy is there; Scott Roberts is there; a whole bunch of people are there that you may not recognize but have seen on the net or in an astro-mag.  I don't see them doing it twice.  And with total expenditures in recreational astronomy around $100 to $200 million a year there isn't a lot of margin to send a lot of people hither and yon.  ….

They 'all' (mostly) do show up at the similar show in London, UK..... despite the fact that some Euro's do fly over to attend NEAF.

There have been attempts to do "NEAF West" and in the Southwest - all failed - because either the vendors didn't show up or the people didn't show up.

NEAF has become the annual "World Trade Show for Astro" - and that is unlikely to change.

• gnowellsct likes this

#12 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 14 April 2019 - 03:07 PM

They 'all' (mostly) do show up at the similar show in London, UK..... despite the fact that some Euro's do fly over to attend NEAF.

There have been attempts to do "NEAF West" and in the Southwest - all failed - because either the vendors didn't show up or the people didn't show up.

NEAF has become the annual "World Trade Show for Astro" - and that is unlikely to change.

Yes once you get a good thing going and become "the place to be" it's hard to launch another one.  The NYSE "big board" still has a capitalization about twice as big as NASDAQ.  When you get to be a place that everyone else goes to because everyone else is there, that is a powerful momentum.  It is what has kept Astromart going even though, unfortunately, the discussion groups there are a fraction of their former selves.  (Which is too bad, I liked not having a few choice words turned into asterisks).  Greg N

• George N likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics