•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NEAF 2019 VENDOR OBSERVATION

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 M11Mike

M11Mike

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ballston Lake, NY

Posted 06 April 2019 - 06:49 PM

Just returned - seemed to be LESS total vendors (???).  Several "regulars" from the last few years I noticed were NOT there.  And it seemed to me there were a LOT of new faces.  Tells me - lots of folks don't return as it must not be profitable / worthwhile - not cheap to do a show like this - especially if you have a big set up with lost of staff like Celestron, Meade, SkyWatcher, Explore Scientific, WOODLAND (boy were they busy), TeleVue (scratch and dent sale was very busy in the AM).   HighPoint was also busy - but they don't have to travel quite as far as the others.  Wish ASTRONOMICS would attend - I bet they would do well.  :-)  

M11Mike  

• John Kocijanski and Augustus like this

#2 kellyvictoria

kellyvictoria

Ranger 4

• Loc: Florida, 29 degrees N

Posted 06 April 2019 - 07:00 PM

I wonder what the cost is for them (the vendors) to rent their space at NEAF...

• Upstate New Yorker likes this

#3 rowdy388

rowdy388

Gemini

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 06 April 2019 - 07:24 PM

I didn't see New Moon Telescopes or OPT there this year. However I did my part to keep the economy going.

• Codbear likes this

#4 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, AR

Posted 06 April 2019 - 07:28 PM

Wish ASTRONOMICS would attend - I bet they would do well.  :-)  

M11Mike  

I think they used to attend.  I've seen some live videos when they were there, hosted by some of the CN mods.

#5 Codbear

Codbear

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Novato, CA

Posted 06 April 2019 - 08:27 PM

I didn't see New Moon Telescopes or OPT there this year. However I did my part to keep the economy going.

I suspect NMT is working to capacity and beyond...I mean geesh!!! how much time did he have to spend on TOMDEY'S monster?!? lol.gif

• Augustus likes this

#6 John Kocijanski

John Kocijanski

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 April 2019 - 09:41 PM

Just returned - seemed to be LESS total vendors (???).  Several "regulars" from the last few years I noticed were NOT there.  And it seemed to me there were a LOT of new faces.  Tells me - lots of folks don't return as it must not be profitable / worthwhile - not cheap to do a show like this - especially if you have a big set up with lost of staff like Celestron, Meade, SkyWatcher, Explore Scientific, WOODLAND (boy were they busy), TeleVue (scratch and dent sale was very busy in the AM).   HighPoint was also busy - but they don't have to travel quite as far as the others.  Wish ASTRONOMICS would attend - I bet they would do well.  :-)  

M11Mike  

No Stellarvue or Vixen.  Not worth the trip from California?

Edited by John Kocijanski, 07 April 2019 - 08:41 PM.

#7 iwannabswiss

iwannabswiss

Viking 1

• Loc: Charleston SC

Posted 07 April 2019 - 07:03 AM

No Stellarvue or Vixen. No worth the trip from California?

Vic from Stellarvue was planning on attending but got called in for jury duty.
  • John Kocijanski and George N like this

#8 Illinois

Illinois

Gemini

• Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA

Posted 07 April 2019 - 07:09 AM

Set up new Astronomy Show in Chicago would be nice! Chicago is almost center and might get more booths! New York every year is not for everyone and I see most people go to NEAF from east and we don't go there every year! I went NEAF few years ago cost me fly around trip, hotel, rent a car, and food. Now I save my money to buy telescope!

Edited by Illinois, 07 April 2019 - 07:10 AM.

• timmbottoni, Goodchild and Paul Morow like this

#9 M11Mike

M11Mike

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 April 2019 - 07:40 AM

Yep - no OPT, no Stellarvue, no Vixen, no New Moon --- I didn't want to mention names --- but those are the (4) I missed and two years ago I dropped a PILE of $$$ at Vic Maris's table and last year bought my observing chair from Vixen.  I try to spend $$$ when I go as I know that's what keeps many coming back - no $$$ - no show!!!

I "missed" all these guys.  OPT and SV had BEEEG set ups too.

$27 for a one day admission - not cheap.  And booths are very expensive.  They (RAC) have a lot of costs - pay for the speakers, the hall, advertising, etc.  

M11Mike

PS: I was a "show vendor" for 30 years - on the road 30+ weekends a year - and I attended the shows where I made $$$.  Simple as that.  If you're doing something for a living - you need to make a profit.  

• zjc26138 and Illinois like this

#10 M11Mike

M11Mike

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 April 2019 - 09:16 AM

Vic M (S/V) *wasn't* listed in the lavish program handed out at the door (list of vendors/map/their booth locations/etc.) --- so he must have found out about jury duty some time ago.  

Normally small business owners can get OUT of jury duty as their presence in the business is critical for day to day operation of the business.   I got out of J/D at least twice for this reason.   It's not like you're working for a big company where you're presence is not essential for continued operation. 

M11Mike

• peleuba likes this

#11 Upstate New Yorker

Upstate New Yorker

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 April 2019 - 03:22 PM

M11Mike  

Hi, Stellarvue could not go this year because Vic Maris had jury duty.  In an email to owners of Stellarvue scopes, he expressed real regret at not being able to attend.

• John Kocijanski, George N and Joe F Gafford like this

#12 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 07 April 2019 - 05:06 PM

Was Astronomy Technology Today magazine there?  There was a designated booth but it was vacant yesterday when I went by.

Dave Mitsky

#13 Mike Franzyshen

Mike Franzyshen

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Somerset, NJ

Posted 07 April 2019 - 07:01 PM

Here's the pricing, it's not cheap!  I seriously doubt if any of the vendors actually turn a profit from a show like this.  However, the public exposure definitely accounts for something: 

https://rockland-ast...ns/neaf-vendors

Note the OPTIONAL ELECTRICITY OPTION.

I had one vendor express that NEAF is a PAINFUL event to attend and they have NEVER turned a profit once they account for the packing, shipping, booth costs, extra personnel, etc.  However, they expressed they feel pressure to attend, as NEAF is the premier event and to show they're alive and well to their customers!

Edited by Mike Franzyshen, 07 April 2019 - 07:05 PM.

• RobTeeter, George N, Illinois and 2 others like this

#14 kellyvictoria

kellyvictoria

Ranger 4

• Loc: Florida, 29 degrees N

Posted 07 April 2019 - 07:15 PM

Interesting.... thank you.

#15 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, AR

Posted 07 April 2019 - 08:29 PM

If they lose money, they shouldn’t attend any more. Then either the prices will come down or the show will go away.
  • Illinois likes this

#16 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 07 April 2019 - 08:32 PM

Being a regular attendee, this was the largest show in the last 3 years. The booths went pretty far back. I will state that much less internet vendors than usual but more manufactures. I also noticed that the show is gearing toward the high end with $20k mounts and $15k telescopes. Not bad to look at the candy but some serious coin. I’ll go back next year but I’m only 40 minutes away.
  • Pinbout likes this

#17 Eric H

Eric H

Viking 1

• Loc: Washougal, WA

Posted 07 April 2019 - 09:06 PM

That is incredibly cheap. Sorry. My company participates in a yearly tradeshow that costs us over $100k.

• Alan French, George N, NYSky and 2 others like this

#18 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Posted 07 April 2019 - 09:31 PM

That is incredibly cheap. Sorry. My company participates in a yearly tradeshow that costs us over $100k.

I agree that's really cheap

#19 NYSky

NYSky

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: upstate New York

Posted 07 April 2019 - 10:19 PM

I agree.  The technical conferences our university participates in typically costs 5x those amount for booth spaces.

if I were a vendor, I’d be handing out “one time use only” discount coupons good for internet orders up to one year from an email address registered by the booth visitor.  Instead of complaining about  “showrooming”,  make it worthwhile for people to come to the show, visit the booth, and do business with you later.  highpoint sort of does this by allowing a discount code for 1 week after the show.

• George N and Spacefreak1974 like this

#20 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 07 April 2019 - 10:24 PM

Wish ASTRONOMICS would attend -

I agree, they always had a great setup.

i work in the trade show business and I’ve seen the biggest shows, ones that you’d think would continue for years to come, just disappear for different reasons

if You run a show, like RAC, you have to always listen to your vendors and guests. You can never think I know what I’m doing and expect the show to continue to run itself. 

They all die die that way. Everyone.

its all about marketing and continuing to promote the show in relevant ways, and keeping the paying vendors interested.

#21 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 07 April 2019 - 10:25 PM

Let me design your booth grin.gif

https://www.instagra...d=1ddi6f8b7f32c

Edited by Pinbout, 07 April 2019 - 10:26 PM.

#22 pao

pao

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 08 April 2019 - 04:00 AM

Here's the pricing, it's not cheap!  I seriously doubt if any of the vendors actually turn a profit from a show like this.  However, the public exposure definitely accounts for something: 

https://rockland-ast...ns/neaf-vendors

Note the OPTIONAL ELECTRICITY OPTION.

I had one vendor express that NEAF is a PAINFUL event to attend and they have NEVER turned a profit once they account for the packing, shipping, booth costs, extra personnel, etc.  However, they expressed they feel pressure to attend, as NEAF is the premier event and to show they're alive and well to their customers!

Very interesting Mike, thank you

• Mike Franzyshen likes this

#23 pao

pao

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 08 April 2019 - 04:05 AM

I don’t agree. Astronomy companies are very small, sometimes home made, producers. So events like NEAF can be very painful in term of economic balance. 

• Mike Franzyshen, stevenwav and Augustus like this

#24 Upstate New Yorker

Upstate New Yorker

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 April 2019 - 05:55 AM

I think that the event does result in extra profits for companies and in extra revenue for the nonprofits that attend NEAF.  Otherwise they would not go.  The producers interactively explain their products directly to buyers and that has to increase sales, and by producers I also mean outfits like Adirondack Public Observatory and Lowell Observatory.   On the consumer side, there is the heady atmosphere of creativity that NEAF provides almost non-stop.  I think that creative people have a craving for events like these.  It is rarely the case that you can rub shoulders with inventors, scientists, publishers, and a lot of starry eyed people for an entire weekend in early April.  And besides, the weather is almost always sunny and perfect for solar astronomy.

But I think there are two factors that could subtly erode NEAF over time, and they are the spread of light pollution and the shrinking size of the backyard.  To me there is nothing quite like walking out the back door of your home and enjoying a starry night, right in front of you, and just when you need it.  We are losing this, just when amateur telescopes have improved beyond all measure.  This suggests that light pollution zones could be the way to go to eliminate this problem.  Where I grew up, there were so many stars on a clear evening that you had great difficulty picking out the constellations.  No more, when most Americans have rarely seen the Milky Way.       

• doctordub, Augustus and kellyvictoria like this

#25 M11Mike

M11Mike

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 April 2019 - 07:29 AM

It's a lot of money for small operations.  Besides the booth rental - you have hotel and travel costs.  You can't get a room for less than $125 / nite around there.  If you're coming a long way (west coast, etc.) you're looking at very high travel expense.  A show like this can cost a couple thousand dollars even for a 1 or 2 man operation.

I don't believe that the larger telescope manufacturers make $$$ there (Celestron, Meade, etc.) --- but to them this at part of their ADVERTISING budget.   They have to be there to maintain their STATUS.  As industry LEADERS - they simply have to be there.  

However I would BET that vendors like Highpoint Scientific and Woodlland Hills would NOT be there UNLESS they made PROFIT and I bet they do.

And I would also bet TeleVue made profit this year with the return of the deep discounted "scratch & dent" sale.  

Personally while several were "missing" this year - OPT, Stellarvue, Vixen, New Moon, etc.  NEAF is not going away any time soon.  It's the PREMIER amateur astronomy & telescope event on the planet.  RAC knows what they are doing bringing in big name speakers, etc.  They are running a CLASS ACT IMHO and are doing it "RIGHT".  Stellarvue will be back and I wouldn't be surprised to see the others again as well.

M11Mike

PS: HighPoint Scientific DID hand out 10% off coupons - there's no mention of an expiration date on them.   Says on them "DISCOUNTS AS GOOD OR BETTER THAN AT THE SHOW" !!!   I assume they are good in the future???  (will call them today and ask) 

• doctordub, George N, Illinois and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics