•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NEAF 2019 VENDOR OBSERVATION

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#51 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:23 AM

Wanted to be there but we just weren't ready... and it's a long-a** haul from Seattle. Too bad there aren't alternating shows E and W coast. The booth cost seems reasonable.

you always have CES. ha ha ha

hey Celestron shows up.

• Augustus likes this

#52 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:25 AM

I wish the system was such that if you were called for jury duty that the choice wasn't just go or not go (for hopefully a good reason)..but you could also opt for "yeah, I'll do my duty but CANT do date X...but try me again next month".

It may depend on the location and jury you're called for, but I know my wife was able to say, "I can't make it this time, but call me again in the future." 

Clear skies, Alan

• pao and Augustus like this

#53 jmarchet

jmarchet

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 10 April 2019 - 12:03 PM

PS: HighPoint Scientific DID hand out 10% off coupons - there's no mention of an expiration date on them.   Says on them "DISCOUNTS AS GOOD OR BETTER THAN AT THE SHOW" !!!   I assume they are good in the future???  (will call them today and ask) 

If those HighPoint 10% off coupons expire anytime soon, might anyone who attended NEAF have any coupons that would otherwise go wasted/unused?  I could sure use one :)   Thanks, JM 

• Spacefreak1974 likes this

#54 Mike Franzyshen

Mike Franzyshen

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Somerset, NJ

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:05 AM

The booth space is actually pretty reasonable. Even smaller vendors could probably come up with the money for that. The real cost is the cost to ship equipment there (and back if it can't be sold), display materials plus flight and hotel accommodations for staff. Those costs can easily be 10x what the booth itself costs. 

Keep in mind there are other costs related to NEAF we often don't think of.  The vendors are encouraged to "warehouse" their hardware (prior to the show) at the NEAF approved warehouse... about $150.00 - $200.00 per pallet/per day.  That's a lot of money for these smaller astro resellers/vendors who work on thin margins (typically 5-15%).  In addition, many of the vendor who show up at NEAF don't have ANYTHING to sell.  They're there for the exposure alone.

• pao likes this

#55 DennisK

DennisK

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Willowick, OH

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:15 AM

If those HighPoint 10% off coupons expire anytime soon, might anyone who attended NEAF have any coupons that would otherwise go wasted/unused?  I could sure use one smile.gif   Thanks, JM 

Those were not flat 10% coupons.  I only got 5% with mine, maybe it depends on what you buy.  And according to one of the High Point reps, the coupons are good through this weekend only.

• NYSky and jmarchet like this

#56 NYSky

NYSky

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: upstate New York

Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:43 PM

Those were not flat 10% coupons.  I only got 5% with mine, maybe it depends on what you buy.  And according to one of the High Point reps, the coupons are good through this weekend only.

Yep, I also only got 5% off something I ordered from Highpoint this week.  Bummer.

#57 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 14 April 2019 - 03:22 PM

Late on Sunday I asked for one - but was told exactly that - the percentage you get depends on the product -- and for the one I wanted, a Coronado 60mm Double-stack unit - the discount from the coupon would be zero.....

Still, it was better than nothing!

#58 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 April 2019 - 03:26 PM

Having missed last year's NEAF the one missing vendor that stood out the most was Don Yier. I am hoping that all is well with Mr. Yier. Does anyone know how he is?

I went to NEAF this year with a guy who knows Don and lives in the same town. He said "Remember, the man is in his 90's..... and while there is no one issue, his health is declining. That's why he has his antique stuff auctioned thru a dealer now."

Also, he lost much of the antique stuff he usually brings to NEAF in the fire that took his old "factory" and showroom.

Edited by George N, 15 April 2019 - 10:36 AM.

#59 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 April 2019 - 03:32 PM

I suspect NMT is working to capacity and beyond...I mean geesh!!! how much time did he have to spend on TOMDEY'S monster?!? lol.gif

I had hoped that NMT would return this year -- but Ryan's usual pattern in the past has been to set up at only every 2nd or 3rd year at NEAF.

What some friends who know him well have said, and based upon his FaceBook posts, leads me to believe that he's working 60 hours per week to keep up with orders. Therefore, taking his wife and young daughter, and packing and driving to NEAF - lose him 3 -- probably 4 days of shop time.

#60 Swanny

Swanny

Ranger 4

• Loc: AZ

Posted 14 April 2019 - 05:02 PM

Astro is a cottage industry mostly. With margins that a down year really hurts. I hope we all understand that. And maybe some choose to alternate years for financial reasons or see little benefit in going if nothing new is being released.

From an attendee standpoint, for many of us it is a cash outlay we could use elsewhere. Coming from AZ it is another day of vacation traveling, hotels, etc. I would like to go some day but the AIC is out in San Jose and that is more to my liking travel wise.
  • George N and pao like this

#61 Cliff C

Cliff C

Mariner 2

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:37 AM

George,

Thanks for the reply concerning Don Yier. I would never had guessed that he was that old. The 8mm Brandon that I purchased from he and his wife at NEAF in the late 90's will remain a cherished item in my eyepiece case always. I will remember to think of him often.

Thanks again,

Cliff

• George N likes this

#62 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:48 AM

Astro is a cottage industry mostly. With margins that a down year really hurts. I hope we all understand that. And maybe some choose to alternate years for financial reasons or see little benefit in going if nothing new is being released.

From an attendee standpoint, for many of us it is a cash outlay we could use elsewhere. Coming from AZ it is another day of vacation traveling, hotels, etc. I would like to go some day but the AIC is out in San Jose and that is more to my liking travel wise.

While this thread is about 'vendors' -- and buying stuff..... NEAF is about more than that!

For various reasons I had to spend about half my time this year sitting in presentations. If you really enjoy high-quality "lectures" from folks like the "New Horizons guy", the Commander of Apollo 7, a current Space Station Astronaut (and maybe future moon mission - who is an 'amateur astronomer' and imager), etc, -  NEAF is the place to be!

There were other presentations by people like Chris Go, and Al Nagler -- and a series of "pro/am" classroom-venue presentations for those who like to 'gather data'.

Not to mention the opportunity to 'mix & mingle' with people you otherwise will see maybe once a year at your fav big star party.

Edited by George N, 15 April 2019 - 10:53 AM.

• doctordub, charotarguy, Brianfromsyr and 1 other like this

#63 Swanny

Swanny

Ranger 4

• Loc: AZ

Posted 17 April 2019 - 05:55 AM

Yeah. But those presentations will mostly be available at AIC. Which is the main reason I would attend.

#64 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:38 AM

Yeah. But those presentations will mostly be available at AIC. Which is the main reason I would attend.

AIC? Advanced Imaging Conference? Here is a list of speakers on their website for 2017 (latest year covered there): http://www.aicccd.com/Speakers.html

These very fine folks are similar to (and in a lot of cases the same as) the presenters at NEAIC -- but not NEAF. In deed AIC and NEAIC seem similar enough that I would expect most people would opt for attending the one with the least travel cost for them if learning imaging was their prime focus.

However, NEAF presentations are different - often featuring world-class professional astronomers and astronauts, space industry executives, etc. People like Neil deGrasse Tyson, Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku, the NASA Director of Human Space Flight, Alan Stern, NASA Principal Investigator New Horizons Pluto and Ultima Thule fly by, Carolyn Shoemaker co-discoverer of Comet Shoemaker–Levy 9, and many more over the years. Yes there are "imagers" and well-known amateur astronomers too. A typical session in the 'pro-am' conference would cover something like how to insure precision in photometric data (exo-planets, variable stars) given by an Astronomy Professor from Rochester University. This is all very different from the usual 'imaging conference' fare.

One of the things I like about NEAIC/NEAF -- they combine all of this into one 4-day experience - not to mention a chance to observe the sun with one of the world's best collections of solar equipment.

Edited by George N, 17 April 2019 - 08:39 AM.

#65 GlobularLover

GlobularLover

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 April 2019 - 01:19 PM

Keep in mind there are other costs related to NEAF we often don't think of.  The vendors are encouraged to "warehouse" their hardware (prior to the show) at the NEAF approved warehouse... about $150.00 - $200.00 per pallet/per day.  That's a lot of money for these smaller astro resellers/vendors who work on thin margins (typically 5-15%).  In addition, many of the vendor who show up at NEAF don't have ANYTHING to sell.  They're there for the exposure alone.

Just to be clear, NEAF/RAC doesn't make $1 off this arrangement.  The vendors themselves asked for it to send more material and properly have the stuff there on-time.  A few years ago someone's stuff ended up in Cleveland and the amount of money lost from not having your stuff pales in comparision to 1 or 2 days of storage costs.

RCC does not allow stuff to arrive early because the Field House is still in use for accredited events and sports.  The only way to insure there isn't a problem is to have your pallets arrive Wednesday or Thursday, ready for Friday set-up.  Try and cut it too close (Friday) to avoid warehousing and you either are rush-rush or you may be tracking your stuff over the Midwest as NEAF opens.

Edited by GlobularLover, 28 April 2019 - 01:20 PM.

• Augustus likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics