•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Todd Gross: Observing on a "Cloudy Night?"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 mloffland

mloffland

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 30 May 2006 - 01:29 PM

Observing on a "Cloudy Night?" by: Todd Gross

#2 Astraforce Paul

Astraforce Paul

Vanguard

Posted 30 May 2006 - 01:48 PM

Intriguing and informative article.

It's great to have Todd back reporting in the astro world!

#3 Clive Gibbons

Clive Gibbons

Mostly Harmless

Posted 31 May 2006 - 01:31 PM

Talkin' about observing thru thin clouds... it used to happen to me fairly often while guiding deepsky astrophotos (back in the '80s, when we used film and wasted a good part of our lives "manual guiding" :grin:).

I'd be staring into the guider eyepiece for the longest time, completely oblivious that the sky overhead had developed a thin blanket of wispy cirrus. It would go unnoticed, since the sky background at 400x looks pretty dark. Coming up for air after 20 or thirty minutes, I'd look up and go, "Ahhhhhhhh fudge*"

*-not the actual utterance.

:foreheadslap:

#4 JayKSC

JayKSC

Vanguard

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:30 PM

Awesome write-up.

If I may add a note of my own, if you check satellite imagery around sunset or after dark, the visible images won't be available: they rely on the sun's reflecting off off the earth surface to generate the image. Many satellite providers online automatically swtich to infrared at night.

If you want to see a "visible" image at night, try shortwave infrared. A good source is theTropical Prediction Center satellite page for us East Coasters and those in the Central US. Select from the "Northwest Atlantic" for the Eastern Continental US or "Gulf of Mexico" if you live around the Gulf. :)

One other note on clouds... check the water vapor imagery (IRWV). IRWV shows atmospheric moisture. If you notice a lot of moisture coming your way (usually indicated by white), you can bet on increased chance for cloud formation.

Clear skies (or cirrus laden if you HAVE to have clouds! ;)).

- Jay
KSC FL

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics