•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

150mm f/5

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ann Arbor

Posted 07 April 2019 - 03:18 PM

Anyone use these small newts for grab and go? The high point scientific version is so inexpensive (can get almost four of them for the price of an 80mm app)! What do you guys mount it on?

Edited by AlienRatDog, 07 April 2019 - 03:19 PM.

#2 KerryR

KerryR

Soyuz

• Loc: Mid-West Coast, Michigan

Posted 07 April 2019 - 04:17 PM

I have a 6" f5- an old Vixen (with the sled focuser). It's large enough and heavy enough that it doesn't quite work as a grab and go, which I define as "out the door, mounted, ideally with ep's and maybe small charts, in one trip, easily, emphasizing 'easily' ". While I -can- get this rig out the door in one trip, it's not quite easy enough to qualify, IMO. It's workable, I think, but threshold. It's less about the weight and much more about the bulk. I generally set this scope up in two trips- it's just way easier.

I mount the scope on a heavy duty Manfrotto tripod with Porta II head. The Porta II head is just barely up to the task.

The ES First Light 150 is attractive. The First Light 114, I've read here on CN, has too small a secondary and works closer to 90mm, which is pretty significant. I'd be a little worried about the 150 suffering the same defect.

Edited by KerryR, 07 April 2019 - 04:21 PM.

#3 RadioAstronomer

RadioAstronomer

Mariner 2

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 07 April 2019 - 04:20 PM

I have the Celestron Omni 6" f/5 version of this scope and hardly use it due to coma. At f/5 coma is an issue for me. 

#4 Tyson M

Tyson M

Soyuz

• Loc: 53 degrees North

Posted 07 April 2019 - 04:26 PM

I have the Celestron Omni 6" f/5 version of this scope and hardly use it due to coma. At f/5 coma is an issue for me. 

The TPO 6" F6 should be better in that regard for grab and go visual use. Still relatively inexpensive.

#5 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ann Arbor

Posted 07 April 2019 - 04:29 PM

If the bulk adds up too much, I’d probably be more inclined to take out the XT6. I was thinking for a tripod mounted scope in the winter when I have a few minutes to bounce between some clouds before going to sleep. Maybe in the regard, an 80mm Apo may still be the best fit

#6 KerryR

KerryR

Soyuz

• Loc: Mid-West Coast, Michigan

Posted 07 April 2019 - 04:45 PM

If the bulk adds up too much, I’d probably be more inclined to take out the XT6. I was thinking for a tripod mounted scope in the winter when I have a few minutes to bounce between some clouds before going to sleep. Maybe in the regard, an 80mm Apo may still be the best fit

I don't ever use my 6" f5 for that application- it's just not easy enough, and really needs some time to cool, even for low powers if I want pin-point stars, especially going from the warm house into freezing temps.

For this application, I usually go with a small fast refractor on a light mount. I actually have an XT4.5 on the way that I'm hoping will work well in this capacity, and be a welcome break from eyepiece edge astigmatism.

#7 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 07 April 2019 - 04:57 PM

Paracorr is a must for most people.  A LX70 would hold it fine.

#8 Kashmir

Kashmir

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: England UK

Posted 07 April 2019 - 05:36 PM

I have OO UK 150mm F5 newt 1/10 PV it is a delightful scope and perfect for grab n go being lightweight and not too bulky, cooldown with the fan on about 15 minutes average. It depends on your idea of grab n go as well as this is different for many people. So mine goes on AYOII and a Berlebach UNI18 , all of which goes in the car neatly enough. Set up about 10 minutes then a few minutes more if using nexus or Argo.

Lovely scope, very versatile and it replaced a 4 inch APO and have never regretted it.    

• izar187 likes this

#9 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 07 April 2019 - 10:49 PM

I have an Orion Starblast 6. The one sided base is a little awkward, and I've been planning for years to add short legs so I can sit on a stool.

It counts as grab n go, but not super easy. A Celestron 130 is much lighter. Coma is not so bad, but I do see it half the nights and get a little annoyed by it sometimes.

I agree that a 6" f8 is better. The only reason to get the f5 is to fit through Pleiades. I would get a 8x50 RACI for that. 6" f5 is OK at everything but good at nothing. You will have way more fun with a red dot finder and 50mm finder and full length scope.

Thread other reason to get a 6" f5 is to fit it in the trunk. And I second that it still needs 30 minutes to cool.

#10 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 07 April 2019 - 10:53 PM

Get a refractor on a tripod with a crank arm head. Then you can sit comfortably at one height. Crank up to view zenith, and down to view horizon.

#11 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:51 PM

desertsky dsv-1

med_gallery_106859_3508_188279.jpg

• izar187 and 25585 like this

#12 belgrade

belgrade

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Far North SA, TX

Posted 08 April 2019 - 05:30 PM

I also have the Omni XLT150 and love it. Built like a tank but lightweight! Very pleasing to the eye and quite usable on Vixen’s Porta II. Easy to collimate and yes, of course there’s coma, big it sort of comes with territory... I don’t find it intrusive to the point of being a serious problem detrimental to its use. But we all differ... I bought it last Black Friday for a hair over $200! Strongly recommended.
  • CollinofAlabama, izar187 and Conaxian like this

#13 Ohmless

Ohmless

Ranger 4

• Loc: Flint, Michigan USA

Posted 08 April 2019 - 09:30 PM

mine is on a cg4, but I recommend something lighter like a twilight 2 mount for it.

#14 izar187

izar187

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: 43N

Posted 09 April 2019 - 07:06 AM

Anyone use these small newts for grab and go? The high point scientific version is so inexpensive (can get almost four of them for the price of an 80mm app)! What do you guys mount it on?

Yes, for years.

Folks definition of grab and go does vary.

Mine goes on a pipe mount.

Mount and ota are outside in vehicle most of the year, always ready.

So the grab part is done, as the scope is stored out at ambient.

#15 izar187

izar187

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:02 AM

My something older 6" f/5 weighs about 10 pounds. 

150 mm out resolves 80mm pretty soundly.

The work around for coma in a modest sized f/5 newt is either use only very well corrected wide fov ep's... or coma correction... or reasonably well corrected  ep's of less then 70 degree fov, so coma is just less intrusive.

As you have an XT6, an alternate 6" newt may not make sense, as acclamation might be a bit better... or might not.

The suggestion for a 130 f/5 has some merit here... but then you already have a 120ED

One the better ways to use any short tube newt, is on a table top mount, that you carry out to an already set in place platform top observing station out on the property. One that's securely set in the ground, pre-set at the right height for you. IME.

Even better if you can keep the ota stored closer to ambient, under a drape in the corner of garage, porch, breezeway etc. Then acclimation is far less. IME 

I really like my 6" f/5. It is far and away my favorite 3, 4, 5, or 6 inch scope. I'll not surrender it anytime soon.

Resolution and magnification tolerances are good to 6", so better than anything smaller. Compact, light weight, wide field.

But it's not an f/8.

End ramble.

• auriga, Kashmir and Conaxian like this

#16 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 13 April 2019 - 08:56 AM

SW/dealers in the US might sell a bundle deal of a 150P DS and AZ4 mount & tripod?

#17 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• Loc: Canal Fulton, OH

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:48 AM

SW/dealers in the US might sell a bundle deal of a 150P DS and AZ4 mount & tripod?

I basically had to "roll my own".  Sadly, looking to sell it, as I'm going into imaging.  I seriously don't understand why something like a SW150DPS + AZ4 combo isn't offered.

I started with an Orion (US) Starblast 6, put it on an existing AZ-4 mount+tripod.  Then, fellow CN'er Tom Kiehl and I mounted a 2" dual-speed GSO focuser in place of the standard 1.25".  Makes a HUGE difference on planetary observing.

Clear Skies,

Phil

Attached Thumbnails

• SB6-1.jpg

• zjc26138 and Conaxian like this

#18 Conaxian

Conaxian

Ranger 4

• Loc: Smalltown, South western Ohio

Posted 15 April 2019 - 03:07 PM

I have a GSO 6" F/4 astrograph used for visual. It is short, light, and came with a 2 spd focuser. I mount it on a Twilight 1 alt/az.  The included rings and dovetail made it almost impossible to balance and were quite heavy.  I opted to attach a 14" dovetail without the rings to save weight.  The coma is minimalized with a GSO corrector.  I use a RDF so I have the (very nice) 8X50 finder as a backup option in case I decide to use it.  I also reversed the focuser and mounted the finder shoe on the other side to work better with my mount.

I had it out for a quick session. The views were very bright, stars were pinpoints and I kept seeing all these satellites crossing the view. It was early evening  and they were flying through the view from all angles. I've never seen so many satellites in one session.  I can't report on its performance since I was messing with the corrector and never actually got to go after anything. It was pretty cold and windy.

I can say the field was flattened nicely and the starfields looked super-rich with hundreds of background stars shown brightly.

So far I like it. I had better like it because the CC and collimating tools added quite a toll to the price.  They are also fun to use, so what the heck.

• izar187 likes this

#19 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 15 April 2019 - 03:22 PM

I also made my mount for another 6in f5

med_gallery_106859_3508_52086.jpeg

• izar187, Traveler, Max T and 2 others like this

#20 izar187

izar187

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 15 April 2019 - 04:16 PM

I basically had to "roll my own".  Sadly, looking to sell it, as I'm going into imaging.  I seriously don't understand why something like a SW150DPS + AZ4 combo isn't offered.

I started with an Orion (US) Starblast 6, put it on an existing AZ-4 mount+tripod.  Then, fellow CN'er Tom Kiehl and I mounted a 2" dual-speed GSO focuser in place of the standard 1.25".  Makes a HUGE difference on planetary observing.

Clear Skies,

Phil

"Sadly, looking to sell it, as I'm going..."

Wait, don't do it! 

• 25585 likes this

#21 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:13 AM

"Sadly, looking to sell it, as I'm going..."

Wait, don't do it! 

+1

#22 auriga

auriga

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:13 PM

My something older 6" f/5 weighs about 10 pounds. 

150 mm out resolves 80mm pretty soundly.

The work around for coma in a modest sized f/5 newt is either use only very well corrected wide fov ep's... or coma correction... or reasonably well corrected  ep's of less then 70 degree fov, so coma is just less intrusive.

As you have an XT6, an alternate 6" newt may not make sense, as acclamation might be a bit better... or might not.

The suggestion for a 130 f/5 has some merit here... but then you already have a 120ED

One the better ways to use any short tube newt, is on a table top mount, that you carry out to an already set in place platform top observing station out on the property. One that's securely set in the ground, pre-set at the right height for you. IME.

Even better if you can keep the ota stored closer to ambient, under a drape in the corner of garage, porch, breezeway etc. Then acclimation is far less. IME 

I really like my 6" f/5. It is far and away my favorite 3, 4, 5, or 6 inch scope. I'll not surrender it anytime soon.

Resolution and magnification tolerances are good to 6", so better than anything smaller. Compact, light weight, wide field.

But it's not an f/8.

End ramble.

I agree entirely with this. I have a great 6"f5 made by a fine maker in in Minneapolis (anyone remember the name?} after college in 1957. it has had a very good mirror,  reworked by Richard Wesling the famous maker in Cincinnati. It  Is a superb scope and with a Parracorr shows no coma even with

Televise ethos eyepieces, and his far superior to a 4.Astroblast or hey 72mm refractor from astronomic's good as that is. The additional aperture really helps. The telescope is quite light, even with a 2 inch focuser. Highly recommended, as a grab and go, if you adjust the tripod legs to a suitable height; mine is on a rolling cart for ease of getting in and out of the garage. In any event, good luck with your choice.

Bill Meyers

• izar187 and Conaxian like this

#23 auriga

auriga

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:15 PM

I have a GSO 6" F/4 astrograph used for visual. It is short, light, and came with a 2 spd focuser. I mount it on a Twilight 1 alt/az.  The included rings and dovetail made it almost impossible to balance and were quite heavy.  I opted to attach a 14" dovetail without the rings to save weight.  The coma is minimalized with a GSO corrector.  I use a RDF so I have the (very nice) 8X50 finder as a backup option in case I decide to use it.  I also reversed the focuser and mounted the finder shoe on the other side to work better with my mount.

I had it out for a quick session. The views were very bright, stars were pinpoints and I kept seeing all these satellites crossing the view. It was early evening  and they were flying through the view from all angles. I've never seen so many satellites in one session.  I can't report on its performance since I was messing with the corrector and never actually got to go after anything. It was pretty cold and windy.

I can say the field was flattened nicely and the starfields looked super-rich with hundreds of background stars shown brightly.

So far I like it. I had better like it because the CC and collimating tools added quite a toll to the price.  They are also fun to use, so what the heck.

Who are you in southwestern Ohio? I am in Cincinnati. Maybe we can get in touch.

Bill Meyers

#24 GUS.K

GUS.K

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Katoomba, NSW, Australia.

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:41 PM

Picked up a Celestron omni XLT 6 inch F5 for $150( actually direct swap for a motorised focuser unit I was selling for that price). It came with the 1.25 inch focuser, so I replaced it and the diagonal mirror as well as installed a handle on it(much easier to carry). The coma doesn't bother me, I do have a coma corrector, but don't use it on this scope. Use mainly my Nagler & ethos eyepieces. Have larger scopes up to 18 inch, but like this one for the wide field views and ease and simplicity of use.As a side note, while testing it out in its new configuration, was able to spot quasar 3C 273(mag 12.9) and a 13.5 mag comparison star nearby, 2.4 billion light years with a 6 in scope, not bad.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0304 (2).jpg
  • IMG_0313 (2).jpg
  • IMG_0314 (3).jpg

Edited by GUS.K, 18 April 2019 - 07:51 PM.

• Lewis Cason likes this

#25 izar187

izar187

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:48 PM

As a side note, while testing it out in its new configuration, was able to spot quasar 3C 273(mag 12.9) and a 13.5 mag comparison star nearby, 2.4 billion light years with a 6 in scope, not bad.

I have in mine also.

It is clearly non stellar.

A curious and humbling target.

• GUS.K likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics