•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astrocrumb Filter Slides

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Old Rookie

Old Rookie

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 07 April 2019 - 05:49 PM

My last couple of dobs had filter slides.  When I built this one, a filter slide was an after thought.  Earlier this year, I contacted Roger at Astrocrumb and outlined my specific requirements.  After we exchanged a few emails with drawings, photos and measurements, Roger said he could do it so I ordered the slide along with the Omega Dew Terminator.  Well, I received my filter slide on 4/5/19 and was able to install it this afternoon.  Turns out it fits like a glove.  All I had to do was removed the focuser, replaced those bolts with longer ones and connect the parts.  Easy peasy.

Thanks and a tip of the hat to Roger at Astrocrumb.

Attached Thumbnails

• FilterSlide.jpg

Edited by Old Rookie, 07 April 2019 - 05:53 PM.

• kfiscus and havasman like this

#2 rowdy388

rowdy388

Skylab

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 07 April 2019 - 11:12 PM

Hey! I like the way you attached the slide to the front. Very ergonomic. I don't think I can do that mod

on my New Moon dob but now I'll put my thinking cap on and try to think of a solution. Great job! waytogo.gif 

#3 kfiscus

kfiscus

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:19 PM

Roger is great to work with.  I have his slide frames on my 3 main scopes and transfer the slide carriage between them.

• Old Rookie likes this

#4 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 08 April 2019 - 04:25 PM

My last couple of dobs had filter slides.  When I built this one, a filter slide was an after thought.  Earlier this year, I contacted Roger at Astrocrumb and outlined my specific requirements.  After we exchanged a few emails with drawings, photos and measurements, Roger said he could do it so I ordered the slide along with the Omega Dew Terminator.  Well, I received my filter slide on 4/5/19 and was able to install it this afternoon.  Turns out it fits like a glove.  All I had to do was removed the focuser, replaced those bolts with longer ones and connect the parts.  Easy peasy.

Thanks and a tip of the hat to Roger at Astrocrumb.

Excellent!

Unlike most filter slides, it looks like yours is outside the light path.  Kudos!

#5 Old Rookie

Old Rookie

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 08 April 2019 - 04:58 PM

Excellent!

Unlike most filter slides, it looks like yours is outside the light path.  Kudos!

Thanks.  The inner ring diameter is 14" with a 12" mirror so I had plenty to play with.  Mounting the slide as I did, (the only way I could) keeps the slide in the shadow of the top ring.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics