•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

GPS Rollover Problems!

• Please log in to reply
364 replies to this topic

#301 Hamon

Hamon

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 August 2019 - 04:47 AM

I recently purchased a second hand Celestron CPC 8 and I’m having unusual issues with the GPS system.

It has the NexStar * HC with version NXS 4.18 software

MC: 5.14 5.14

When the GPS is turned on the HC says “CPC ready” just about instantly. I did leave the power supply hooked up to the scope for 48 hours recently with the HC disconnected.

When I go into scope setup it shows the time 30 mins behind e.g scope shows 18:17:22 when local time is actually 18:47. Also the date shows 01/01/00.

The longitude/latitude is also incorrect but only out by a small amount but enough.

Scope shows 138”50”16 East & 35’10’20 South 

My location in South Australia is 138”83”64 East & 35.17.44 South 

what is most confusing is that when I attempt to correct the Lat/Long manually I am unable to change the number 50 (in the 138”50”16) to 83. It jumps back as if I’m inputting a wrong value. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Hamon, 17 August 2019 - 04:50 AM.

#302 astrovoyeur

astrovoyeur

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston

Posted 17 August 2019 - 07:54 AM

I recently purchased a second hand Celestron CPC 8 and I’m having unusual issues with the GPS system.

When the GPS is turned on the HC says “CPC ready” just about instantly. I did leave the power supply hooked up to the scope for 48 hours recently with the HC disconnected.

When I go into scope setup it shows the time 30 mins behind e.g scope shows 18:17:22 when local time is actually 18:47. Also the date shows 01/01/00.

The longitude/latitude is also incorrect but only out by a small amount but enough.

what is most confusing is that when I attempt to correct the Lat/Long manually I am unable to change the number 50 (in the 138”50”16) to 83. It jumps back as if I’m inputting a wrong value. 

Sounds like the GPS is turned off.. Go into your menu and I believe under Utilities there is an option to turn on/off the GPS.

Even though it says its ready it doesn't mean it has a satellite lock.   You can generally tell if the GPS is working when you do a star alignment and it doesn't ask you for date and time.

If the GPS is on but still not getting a satellite link you may need to enter your time, date and location manually.

Lat/Long are entered as Degrees and minutes .   Minutes only go up to 60, so I'm not sure where you are getting 83 unless its decimal degrees, in which case just multiple .83 x 60 = ~50 to get the minute equivalent.   Keep in mind you don't need to be any more accurate than a few minutes.         

Edited by astrovoyeur, 17 August 2019 - 07:57 AM.

#303 emflocater

emflocater

Apollo

• Loc: Clarkson, N.Y.

Posted 17 August 2019 - 07:58 AM

I believe your hand controller (HC) version should be updated to NXS 4.22 which may solve any GPS Rollover issues. Check HERE

Cheers

Don

Edited by emflocater, 17 August 2019 - 08:05 AM.

#304 Hamon

Hamon

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:25 PM

Thank you for the reply’s.

the coordinates were in fact decimal degrees which I didn’t think about. My GPS is finding the correct coordinates.

I’m waiting for a clear night to see that what I have learned here makes a difference.

i was aware of the need to update the firmware to NXS 4.22 but still not 100% sure that I can just update my HC or if I should buy the latest HC set.

thoughts?

#305 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 17 August 2019 - 11:52 PM

Thank you for the reply’s.

the coordinates were in fact decimal degrees which I didn’t think about. My GPS is finding the correct coordinates.

I’m waiting for a clear night to see that what I have learned here makes a difference.

i was aware of the need to update the firmware to NXS 4.22 but still not 100% sure that I can just update my HC or if I should buy the latest HC set.

thoughts?

Hi,

You do not need a new hand control but you do need to update the firmware to 4.22. On this page of my website:
https://www.nexstars...om/Firmware.htm
refer to the article 'How to Upgrade Hand Control Firmware - Version 4 Hand Control' for details.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide"
https://www.NexStarSite.com

#306 DanielT

DanielT

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 18 August 2019 - 01:18 PM

Hello Michael,

Just yesterday, August 17,  my CPC 9.25 started displaying 3/13/1996 as the date and the time was incorrect. 

Back in April, I started this thread with my scope displaying 1999.  Then, with your help, Celestron updated firmware which I loaded and my GPS worked correctly. 

Just yesterday my GPS started displaying the wrong date again (23 years, 5 months and six days off).  I noticed your web page (https://www.nexstars...GPSRollover.htm )makes reference to AUG 17 and OCT 16.  Did the date of AUG 17 cause another error in my GPS?  Will the date of OCT 16 correct this error?  I have a Nextstar Plus controller, I ran CFM today to make sure all updates were in place, the hand control version is NXS 5.31.9102.

Let me know if you think this will correct itself on OCT 16.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Daniel T

#307 astrovoyeur

astrovoyeur

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 August 2019 - 07:33 PM

My v5.31.9102 Nexstar + is doing the same plus one with the 3/14/96 date but time and location are correct.  

I believe Oct 16 the v5 HC will start getting the date correct again.  

My v4 Nexstar is NOT exhibiting any bad behavior at this time.  

Edited by astrovoyeur, 18 August 2019 - 07:38 PM.

#308 DanielT

DanielT

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2019 - 08:14 PM

Hello Explorer One,

I did figure out the time issue, After I did another update from CFM I had to reset to the time to the proper time zone.  So my time is good, but the year is off.  Today it gives me 3/14/1996.  So, hopefully the OCT 6 calendar will fix this problem, still makes no sense to me why it would work for a while then not?

Thank You.

Sincerely,

Daniel T

#309 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 18 August 2019 - 10:20 PM

Okay, so Daniel and astrovoyeur have confirmed that as feared, some of the CPC mounts that were fixed with the new NexStar+ firmware are again displaying bad dates as of Aug 17, 2019.  We do expect them to be fine again on Oct 16th and they should be good from that point forward.  

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.nexstarsite.com

• markb likes this

#310 DanielT

DanielT

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2019 - 11:28 PM

Thank you Michael!

I will send an update on October 17.

Sincerely,

Daniel T

#311 Digital Don

Digital Don

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Manteno, IL

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:58 PM

Okay, so Daniel and astrovoyeur have confirmed that as feared, some of the CPC mounts that were fixed with the new NexStar+ firmware are again displaying bad dates as of Aug 17, 2019.  We do expect them to be fine again on Oct 16th and they should be good from that point forward.  

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

Unfortunately, I can also confirm that the date is incorrect in my CPC 1100 as of today (August 23) with the hand control displaying '03/19/96'.  I reverted to my previous solution of going into SET TIME/DATE and correcting the date after waking the scope frim hibernation.  Everything functions properly after that.

Michael, you are saying this issue will resolve itself on October 16, correct?  

Any idea why only some mounts are affected?

Thanks,

Don usa.gif

#312 Digital Don

Digital Don

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:53 PM

I also noticed this on Celestron's web site:   http://software.cele...ion_History.pdf

NexStar+ Hand Control

Version #    release date 

5.30.9200    8/2019

Updates

Patch: account for additional modules, including those that failed after April 6th. Bug Fix: patch in 9104, could fail on August 17th for some modules.

My current NXS version is 5.31.1902 so the above version seems 'earlier' even though the release date is this month.

Is this relevant to our current situation?

Thanks!

Don usa.gif

Edited by Digital Don, 24 August 2019 - 12:05 AM.

#313 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 25 August 2019 - 12:45 AM

Hi Don,

You have the newest version. Yes, everything will go back to normal on October 16th.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
  • bsavoie likes this

#314 Digital Don

Digital Don

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 26 August 2019 - 01:03 AM

Hi Don,

You have the newest version. Yes, everything will go back to normal on October 16th.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

Thanks Mike!

I'll just be patient until then!

Don :usa:

#315 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 26 August 2019 - 01:03 AM

UPDATE

On Aug 19th, Celestron released the updated StarSense hand control firmware.  They also posted an update for the NexStar+ firmware which they report will fix the issue that appeared on Aug 16 - if one of you affected by that issue can give that a try and let us know here, that would be good.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

• Nissaire likes this

#316 Nissaire

Nissaire

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 26 August 2019 - 12:06 PM

I have a CPC 1100 initially affected by this issue. See post #159 in this thread. The previous firmware update for my Nexstar+ HC resolved the issue.

Went out to a dark site to observe last night. Immediately noticed the date reported by the GPS was wrong: the year was '96. I figured the same issue was just repeating itself, and used the aforementioned workaround to observe (power up scope, use "View time-site" to let GPS link, turn off GPS, begin alignment by inputting correct date/time manually). Was glad I still had this workaround in mind...

Today, I came to this thread expecting to find some posts about this development. I was happy to find out a new firmware was already available. Just applied it to the HC. It now shows as HC version NXS 5.31.9200.

I'll report back when I take it out to a dark site next time.

Edited by Nissaire, 26 August 2019 - 12:07 PM.

#317 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 26 August 2019 - 04:41 PM

Thank you Nissaire - perhaps you might have a chance to set it up outside prior to going to a dark site so that you will know in advance.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

#318 astrovoyeur

astrovoyeur

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:06 PM

I upgraded my nexstar plus to 5.31.9200 and it appears the date is being reported correctly now.     

Plus it looks like that wasn't the only thing fixed. 

#319 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:06 PM

GREAT - so we can now put this issue to rest.

Anyone coming to this topic due to their GPS-equipped scope reporting an incorrect date should read this webpage:

https://www.nexstars...GPSRollover.htm

Moderators - I would recommend UNPINNING this message.  Then I can create a new message with a single post which we can pin and lock.  There are now 13 pages in this string and we have already seen a lot of confusion by people only making it through the first couple of pages.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

Edited by Michael_Swanson, 27 August 2019 - 01:30 AM.

• mclewis1 likes this

#320 Digital Don

Digital Don

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:23 PM

I just updated to  5.31.9200 and can confirm that the date is now correct.

Thanks Mike and everyone else who's been so helpful!

Don :usa: 

#321 astrovoyeur

astrovoyeur

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 August 2019 - 06:25 AM

GREAT - so we can now put this issue to rest.

Anyone coming to this topic due to their GPS-equipped scope reporting an incorrect date should read this webpage:

https://www.nexstars...GPSRollover.htm

Moderators - I would recommend UNPINNING this message.  Then I can create a new message with a single post which we can pin and lock.  There are now 13 pages in this string and we have already seen a lot of confusion by people only making it through the first couple of pages.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

I'm not so sure.  It seems the final approach time is really long now upwards of 30 seconds or more.    Actually I don't ever recall my cpc800 taking so long on its final approach, perhaps 5-10 sec worst case in the past.   Now its painfully slow.  

I may try to return to earlier version and deal with date until Oct 17.   Id rather screw with date once per setup verses the slow final approach with every go to. 

Edited by astrovoyeur, 27 August 2019 - 06:29 AM.

#322 emflocater

emflocater

Apollo

Posted 27 August 2019 - 09:23 AM

I'm not so sure.  It seems the final approach time is really long now upwards of 30 seconds or more.    Actually I don't ever recall my cpc800 taking so long on its final approach, perhaps 5-10 sec worst case in the past.   Now its painfully slow.  

I may try to return to earlier version and deal with date until Oct 17.   Id rather screw with date once per setup verses the slow final approach with every go to. 

Hi astrovoyeur. Did this final approach issue happen after you updated your firmware? If so...strange. Have you tried to re-update the firmware and see if that would get rid of the final approach time length. Could be an anomaly so might not hurt to re-update the firmware.

Cheers

Don

#323 astrovoyeur

astrovoyeur

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 August 2019 - 10:44 AM

It wasn't doing it prior to the 5.31.9200 update or I would have definitely noticed.  

I've got a number of nexstar+ HC I can try.  But I'm pretty sure the update didn't have any glitches. 

I recall reading a few months ago about the 5.31.9102  update having been re-tuned to reduce the approach speed from 30 sec down to 5 sec.  I assumed it was for other mounts as my mount never took longer that 5 or so seconds doing its final approach.    Now my mount is taking 30 sec or more  

#324 emflocater

emflocater

Apollo

Posted 27 August 2019 - 02:07 PM

It wasn't doing it prior to the 5.31.9200 update or I would have definitely noticed.  

I've got a number of nexstar+ HC I can try.  But I'm pretty sure the update didn't have any glitches. 

I recall reading a few months ago about the 5.31.9102  update having been re-tuned to reduce the approach speed from 30 sec down to 5 sec.  I assumed it was for other mounts as my mount never took longer that 5 or so seconds doing its final approach.    Now my mount is taking 30 sec or more  

Thanks for the info.

Cheers

Don

#325 rj1970

rj1970

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 August 2019 - 04:22 PM

I just updated to  5.31.9200 and can confirm that the date is now correct.

Thanks Mike and everyone else who's been so helpful!

Don usa.gif

Plus one! And a huge Thank You to Mike!

Kind regards,

Ruud.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics