•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

GPS Rollover Problems!

• Please log in to reply
377 replies to this topic

#26 warddl

warddl

Lift Off

• Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:28 PM

I have the CN-16 and I can confirm that it now returns the date as 08/26/99. 

I have now ordered a StarGPS.

#27 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:57 PM

Mike would it be possible to do this as I guess I should try it before I ask (stupid me) anyways... I could keep the CN-16 Connected as normal until it connects and loads the time, date, longitude/latitude into the mount/hand control. Then once that is done go into Utilities and then shut off the GPS. Then I can go back and simply change ONLY the date in the hand control and I should be set for the evening session. 

Seems the GPS does everything right except the date and I thought this might be a work around until Celestron can address the issue permanently.

Cheers

Don

Yes, that is possible.

#28 emflocater

emflocater

Apollo

• Loc: Clarkson, N.Y.

Posted 11 April 2019 - 10:09 PM

Mike would it be possible to do this as I guess I should try it before I ask (stupid me) anyways... I could keep the CN-16 Connected as normal until it connects and loads the time, date, longitude/latitude into the mount/hand control. Then once that is done go into Utilities and then shut off the GPS. Then I can go back and simply change ONLY the date in the hand control and I should be set for the evening session. 

Seems the GPS does everything right except the date and I thought this might be a work around until Celestron can address the issue permanently.

Cheers

Don

Yes, that is possible.

Hi Mike and Folks. I spent about an hour trying some things with the help/idea by Digital Don and Mike Swanson and my curious thoughts.

THERE IS A EASY WORK AROUND!

This should work for those using the Version 4 Hand controller and I would imagine the Nexstar+ as well. I have the version 4 controller with the Celestron CN-16 GPS used on my CG5-ASGT Mount. I can only say it works for me and you Folks can try it as well with your Hand Controller and GPS and report back here.

So here it goes...

Simply just do as you normally do by starting up your hand controller and mount. Now don't try any star alignments yet. Click the MENU button and go to "View Time Site"  and wait until it says LINKED. This means your GPS has linked and plugged in all the values such as Time, Latitude, Longitude, Daylight Savings Time, etc. We know the Date will be the ONLY thing that is wrong and so that is all were going to correct since everything else is good.

Okay...now all you have to do is get out of "View Time Site" by clicking UNDO until we get back to the very beginning when we first started the Hand Controller and Mount.

Click the MENU button and find UTILITIES so we can shut off the GPS. Now shut off GPS.

Click the the UNDO button and than look for "Scope Set Up" "Set Up Time Site" this is where we change the DATE to the date we are using the scope.

Once we change the date click UNDO until we get back to the beginning so we can align the Index Marks and do our Star Alignment as we usually do as well as connect the scope to our Planetarium Software. Your all set to go. Just repeat this each time you use your scope for the night.

I know this may seem like its a long deal...its not. Takes a whole minute to do.

In a nutshell:

Simply use your GPS to connect but click  Menu at the very start before doing anything and go to "View Time Site" until it says Linked

Then Go to Utilities and turn off GPS (since all our Parameters are logged into the Hand Controller/Mount now) 

Then Go to "Scope Set Up/Set Up Time Site" and change Date than click "Undo" until we get to the beginning where you do your usual index marks and skip past putting anything in as far as Site, Time and all because its all been put in by the GPS. Than do your usual Star alignments. 

Try it and you will see its pretty quick and easy.

Cheers

Don

Edited by emflocater, 12 April 2019 - 01:06 AM.

• Callisto9993 likes this

#29 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 12 April 2019 - 12:28 AM

Hi Mike and Folks. I spent about an hour trying some things with the help/idea by Digital Don and Mike Swanson and my curious thoughts.

THERE IS A EASY WORK AROUND!

This should work for those using the Version 4 Hand controller and I would imagine the Nexstar+ as well. I have the version 4 controller with the Celestron CN-16 GPS used on my CG5-ASGT Mount. I can only say it works for me and you Folks can try it as well with your Hand Controller and GPS and report back here.

So here it goes...

Simply just do as you normally do by starting up your hand controller and mount. Now don't try any star alignments yet. Click the MENU button and go to "View Time Site"  and wait until it says LINKED. This means your GPS has linked and plugged in all the values such as Time, Latitude, Longitude, Daylight Savings Time, etc. We know the Date will be the ONLY thing that is wrong and so that is all were going to correct since everything else is good.

Okay...now all you have to do is get out of "View Time Site" by clicking UNDO until we get back to the very beginning when we first started the Hand Controller and Mount.

Click the MENU button and find UTILITIES so we can shut off the GPS. 

Yes, that is what I was alluding to.  Of course since the last time you will have used the scope you turned off GPS, right after powering up and prior to going to View Time-Site to initiate the GPS sync, you must first go back into Utilities and turn on GPS.

And the cycle repeats :-)

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.nexstarsite.com

• emflocater and Callisto9993 like this

#30 emflocater

emflocater

Apollo

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:21 AM

Yep Mike it works! What I will do is make a habit in which when I am done using the scope for the night, I will turn on the GPS so when I fire the scope up again another night, I just change the Date, then shut off the GPS and ready to go again. Nothing but a tiny but easy simple inconvenience change.

Cheers

Don

Edited by emflocater, 12 April 2019 - 01:26 AM.

#31 astrovoyeur

astrovoyeur

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:08 AM

So, all that said, Celestron's HAND CONTROL firmware will be aware of this issue going forward (NexStar+ and StarSense HCs only) and easily be able to deal with it.  Why?  Because the HC will check the date being provided by the GPS module and if that date is earlier than the date of the HC firmware, it will add 1024 weeks.  If it is still earlier, it will add another 1024 (in iterations) until it is a date later than the firmware date.

I like this suggestion.  As an alternative depending on ease of implementation they might have a user setting in GPS configuration for an "Epoch offset" , similar to the current time zone settings.  

#32 Themipster

Themipster

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Central New Jersey

Posted 12 April 2019 - 11:06 AM

As information, I picked up a NexStar 11 GPS at NEAF on the rollover date, HC Version 1.6, MC 4.6 4.6 and it is receiving correct date in GPS today.

Rich

#33 astrovoyeur

astrovoyeur

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 April 2019 - 12:43 PM

As information, I picked up a NexStar 11 GPS at NEAF on the rollover date, HC Version 1.6, MC 4.6 4.6 and it is receiving correct date in GPS today.

Rich

That's consistent with the newer units not exhibiting the problem given their GPS receivers most likely have 13 bit week counters. 

Another possible solution is to simply upgrade the GPS patch to a more modern type.  I'm guessing most telescopes use a low cost RS232 GPS module similar to those found on ebay for $14.  

#34 emflocater

emflocater

Apollo

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:03 PM

That's consistent with the newer units not exhibiting the problem given their GPS receivers most likely have 13 bit week counters. 

Another possible solution is to simply upgrade the GPS patch to a more modern type.  I'm guessing most telescopes use a low cost RS232 GPS module similar to those found on ebay for $14.  

I use one of those low cost GPS Units on my NEQ6 Pro Mount via EQMOD....is there a way to use one of those low cost GPS Units or even the one I use on my NEQ6 Pro mount on my Celestron CG5-ASGT Mount with the Nexstar Version 4 Hand Control?

Just curious. No biggie as I am using my CN-16 GPS Unit now with just changing the Date in the Hand Control and works perfect.

Cheers

Don

#35 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 13 April 2019 - 12:32 AM

Another possible solution is to simply upgrade the GPS patch to a more modern type. I'm guessing most telescopes use a low cost RS232 GPS module similar to those found on ebay for $14.

The NexStar 11 GPS was designed in 2001 and discontinued in 2005. However, its original GPS receiver uses the best option that I described much earlier in this topic - the most recent date calculated is stored in non-volatile memory so it is virtually immune to rollover issues. In 2002 the GPS receiver was changed to a different model and I'm still ascertaining if it has any issues. But reports from all NexStar GPS owners have this far been that the date remains correct.

And the 2012 and newer models from Celestron do not have issues at this time not because the GPS receiver uses 13 bit week values but because it was prepped for the rollover, we think by relying on its firmware build date. If that turns out to be the case, it will be affected several years from now. Celestron will easily be able to compensate for that with hand control firmware.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide"
https://www.NexStarSite.com

Edited by Michael_Swanson, 13 April 2019 - 12:37 AM.

#36 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 13 April 2019 - 12:39 AM

I use one of those low cost GPS Units on my NEQ6 Pro Mount via EQMOD....is there a way to use one of those low cost GPS Units or even the one I use on my NEQ6 Pro mount on my Celestron CG5-ASGT Mount with the Nexstar Version 4 Hand Control?

Just curious. No biggie as I am using my CN-16 GPS Unit now with just changing the Date in the Hand Control and works perfect.
Cheers
Don

Hi Don,

It won't work - Celestron uses its own internal communication protocol.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
  • emflocater likes this

#37 Digital Don

Digital Don

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Manteno, IL

Posted 13 April 2019 - 01:48 AM

In a nutshell:

Simply use your GPS to connect but click  Menu at the very start before doing anything and go to "View Time Site" until it says Linked

Then Go to Utilities and turn off GPS (since all our Parameters are logged into the Hand Controller/Mount now) 

Then Go to "Scope Set Up/Set Up Time Site" and change Date than click "Undo" until we get to the beginning where you do your usual index marks and skip past putting anything in as far as Site, Time and all because its all been put in by the GPS. Than do your usual Star alignments. 

Try it and you will see its pretty quick and easy.

Cheers

Don

That confirms the procedure I described a few posts back.  

I also had the opportunity to test my scope (observatory mounted CPC 1100) using this procedure tonight.  I woke the scope from Hibernation, allowed the GPS to link, changed the date,  and was able to observe a number of objects over the course of several hours without issue.   I did not turn the GPS off.

If I understand it correctly, the only function the GPS preforms is telling the telescope 'where' and 'when' it is so the software can calculate which alignment stars are available.  GPS has no other function that I'm aware of (at least for the CPC scopes) and leaving it on had no effect on observing this evening after I corrected the date.

I did order a couple of used Nexstar+ hand controls from an eBay vendor just so I'll have the ability to update in the future, but thankfully, other than having to manually correct the date the "GPS issue" isn't really much of a problem.

Don usa.gif

• emflocater likes this

#38 astrovoyeur

astrovoyeur

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 April 2019 - 08:02 AM

And the 2012 and newer models from Celestron do not have issues at this time not because the GPS receiver uses 13 bit week values but because it was prepped for the rollover, we think by relying on its firmware build date. If that turns out to be the case, it will be affected several years from now. Celestron will easily be able to compensate for that with hand control firmware.

If this is the case then why does my less than 1 year old Nexstar plus USB HC exhibit the same problem as my old HC.  I figured because all my HC both old and new are affected that the only variable was the GPS itself in so much that the newer GPS units report the correct date via a13 bit week counter. or other means   Everything I've read says most of the GPS chip set manufacturers implement 13bit counters starting 10 years ago. 

#39 ruachsheavens

ruachsheavens

Apollo

• Loc: Northern IL

Posted 13 April 2019 - 08:28 AM

Wow - this thread has been so helpful. Thank you Mike Swanson and everyone else. 

I just want to be sure I understands this - I have a CGE mount (not pro, just regular) with a CN16 GPS. I did conform that the CN16 is displaying the incorrect date and I have a version 4 controller that is updated as far as it can go.IF I want to continue using my GPS, I will need to buy a nexstar plus handcontroller and implement the update the celestron will eventually release. However, if I do not want to continue the CN 16 or if I buy a newer GPS, then I can continue to just use my version 4 hand controller? ( its showing ver 4.21, and the mc is ver 51.4)

thanks again

#40 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 13 April 2019 - 09:05 AM

However, if I do not want to continue the CN 16 or if I buy a newer GPS, then I can continue to just use my version 4 hand controller? ( its showing ver 4.21, and the mc is ver 51.4)

That would be my understanding as well.

#41 emflocater

emflocater

Apollo

Posted 13 April 2019 - 09:44 AM

I still wish Celestron would make that update available with the version 4 hand controller since many folks still use it. I am sure if they can add the firmware code to the Nexstar+ that there should not be that much complication and or change to add and allow it to be installed to the Version 4. I am sure there is enough memory left in the Version 4 to do this.

Come on Celestron you can do this. All Version 4 Hand controller Folks would appreciate it since we been loyal to purchasing and using your equipment and again it was no fault of our own that your equipment was in a way kind of flawed. Why should we have to pay for more equipment to use the equipment we bought from you! Just make the firmware for the Version 4 as well.

Cheers

Don

UPDATE: I did pass this post along to Celestron. Maybe if others with the Version 4 Hand Controller here would email Email: mail@celestronsupport.com and or call 310-803-5955 or 1-800-421-9649 and complain to Celestron they may listen. When I called and spoke with them, Celestron said they base their decisions on the amount of complaints so lets complain. Call the number above and who knows maybe they will listen as they say they do! Please just take some time and do this.

Edited by emflocater, 13 April 2019 - 10:01 AM.

#42 astrovoyeur

astrovoyeur

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 April 2019 - 10:09 AM

I have the CN-16 and I can confirm that it now returns the date as 08/26/99. 

I have now ordered a StarGPS.

Please let us know how it works out. 

#43 emflocater

emflocater

Apollo

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:37 AM

Does anyone know f the Rollover effects the Celestron SkyScout?

Cheers

Don

#44 emflocater

emflocater

Apollo

Posted 14 April 2019 - 05:31 PM

Hi Mike Swanson. I have a question I hope you can answer. With the GPS Rollover on Version 4 hand controller as it now reverts to a date in August xx 1999. With that stated...where I live it is now Daylight Savings Time. 

So...when the time comes and I use my mount say in December-April...that is Standard time meaning we lose 1 hour.

Because the GPS Rollover will be set at August xx 1999 on my Version 4 hand controller I imagine when using my mount in December-April (Standard Time) the GPS will still be in DST meaning 1 hour more than what it should be because August xx is DST in my area. 

Here is my confusion...I went into the Scope Setup and for the heck of it changed it from Daylight Savings Time to Standard time and yet I did not see a change in the Time! It was still the same whether I chose in DST or Standard Time.

I know I can simply change the Time 1 hour ahead or 1 hour behind when I reach that part of the year when using the mount, BUT why does the hand controller in Scope Set-Up bother to want you to choose DST or Standard and yet also ask you to put in the Time (12 or 24 hour) because by manually putting in the time would not the individual most likely put the correct time in being aware of DST and Standard Time in their area?

My point is if the Hand Controller wants you to put the correct time in, why is there an option for DST or Standard Time? Again I experimented changing from DST to Standard and vice versa and then went back to view the Time and there was no change. Can you Mike or anyone enlighten me more on this?

Cheers

Don 

#45 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 15 April 2019 - 06:14 AM

If this is the case then why does my less than 1 year old Nexstar plus USB HC exhibit the same problem as my old HC. I figured because all my HC both old and new are affected that the only variable was the GPS itself in so much that the newer GPS units report the correct date via a13 bit week counter. or other means Everything I've read says most of the GPS chip set manufacturers implement 13bit counters starting 10 years ago.

The GPS receiver in your mount has the rollover problem and Celestron hasn't yet released the NexStar+ firmware that will compensate for it.

And a lot of the small, inexpensive GPS receivers are still to this day using the 10 bit week counter.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

#46 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 15 April 2019 - 06:31 AM

Wow - this thread has been so helpful. Thank you Mike Swanson and everyone else. 

I just want to be sure I understands this - I have a CGE mount (not pro, just regular) with a CN16 GPS. I did conform that the CN16 is displaying the incorrect date and I have a version 4 controller that is updated as far as it can go.IF I want to continue using my GPS, I will need to buy a nexstar plus handcontroller and implement the update the celestron will eventually release. However, if I do not want to continue the CN 16 or if I buy a newer GPS, then I can continue to just use my version 4 hand controller? ( its showing ver 4.21, and the mc is ver 51.4)

thanks again

Unfortunately the CGE and NexStar+ often do not work well together as I note in the third paragraph on this page of my website:

https://www.nexstars...NexStarPlus.htm

So...you can take your chances with the NexStar+ HC or, yes, you can purchase a newer GPS module and continue to use your v4 HC.  My recommendation is the PixSoft StarGPS-NX as it is tiny and PixSoft is very quick on turning around new firmware if it is ever needed:

https://www.nexstars.../StarGPS-NX.htm

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

#47 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 15 April 2019 - 06:32 AM

UPDATE: I did pass this post along to Celestron. Maybe if others with the Version 4 Hand Controller here would email Email: mail@celestronsupport.com and or call 310-803-5955 or 1-800-421-9649 and complain to Celestron they may listen. When I called and spoke with them, Celestron said they base their decisions on the amount of complaints so lets complain. Call the number above and who knows maybe they will listen as they say they do! Please just take some time and do this.

Yes, that was my recommendation several posts ago - management is much more likely to invest the manpower and resources necessary to update the v4 HC if they hear from several customers.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

• emflocater likes this

#48 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 15 April 2019 - 06:35 AM

Does anyone know f the Rollover effects the Celestron SkyScout?

Cheers

Don

We haven't heard from anyone with a SkyScout but if I had to guess, I would say it is likely since it was designed during the era of the affected CPC mounts.

But, then again, the GPS receiver could be a different model altogether if it was integrated onto a single circuit board with the rest of the circuitry.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

• emflocater likes this

#49 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 15 April 2019 - 06:43 AM

Hi Mike Swanson. I have a question I hope you can answer. With the GPS Rollover on Version 4 hand controller as it now reverts to a date in August xx 1999. With that stated...where I live it is now Daylight Savings Time. 

So...when the time comes and I use my mount say in December-April...that is Standard time meaning we lose 1 hour.

Because the GPS Rollover will be set at August xx 1999 on my Version 4 hand controller I imagine when using my mount in December-April (Standard Time) the GPS will still be in DST meaning 1 hour more than what it should be because August xx is DST in my area. 

Here is my confusion...I went into the Scope Setup and for the heck of it changed it from Daylight Savings Time to Standard time and yet I did not see a change in the Time! It was still the same whether I chose in DST or Standard Time.

I know I can simply change the Time 1 hour ahead or 1 hour behind when I reach that part of the year when using the mount, BUT why does the hand controller in Scope Set-Up bother to want you to choose DST or Standard and yet also ask you to put in the Time (12 or 24 hour) because by manually putting in the time would not the individual most likely put the correct time in being aware of DST and Standard Time in their area?

My point is if the Hand Controller wants you to put the correct time in, why is there an option for DST or Standard Time? Again I experimented changing from DST to Standard and vice versa and then went back to view the Time and there was no change. Can you Mike or anyone enlighten me more on this?

Cheers

Don 

Date/Time as used by the alignment, GoTo and sidereal time calculations is always based on Coordinated Universal Time (UTC - the acronym is probably based on French).   The Daylight Saving and Standard Time settings (and time zone) are for:

1) In the case of manually entering date/time, we can enter local time naturally and the HC can calculate UTC from that.  Then when we look at the date/time in View Time-Site, the UTC is converted back to local time.

2) If you have a GPS module, it only provides UTC.  The correct time zone and Daylight Saving/Standard Time setting allows UTC to be converted to local time which can be viewed as you start alignment and later in View Time-Site.

Most likely the change doesn't take effect until the next time the GPS is queried or after alignment is restarted.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

• emflocater likes this

#50 emflocater

emflocater

Apollo

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:17 AM

Date/Time as used by the alignment, GoTo and sidereal time calculations is always based on Coordinated Universal Time (UTC - the acronym is probably based on French).   The Daylight Saving and Standard Time settings (and time zone) are for:

1) In the case of manually entering date/time, we can enter local time naturally and the HC can calculate UTC from that.  Then when we look at the date/time in View Time-Site, the UTC is converted back to local time.

2) If you have a GPS module, it only provides UTC.  The correct time zone and Daylight Saving/Standard Time setting allows UTC to be converted to local time which can be viewed as you start alignment and later in View Time-Site.

Most likely the change doesn't take effect until the next time the GPS is queried or after alignment is restarted.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

Thank you Mike for explaining this. So just to be clear, would I be safe after the GPS has linked to then go turn off the GPS. 

I would than simply change to the correct date in the hand controller and also change to DST or Standard in the hand controller as well if need be (depending if the original GPS first linked has it wrong).

Thus if the DST/Standard does need to be changed in the hand controller, I would ALSO go ahead and change my TIME + or - 1 hour to match the DST/Standard time in my area in the hand controller as well.

I should be good to go then correct? Does this all sound right?

Thank you Mike.

Cheers

Don

Edited by emflocater, 15 April 2019 - 11:17 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics