•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

GPS Rollover Problems!

• Please log in to reply
379 replies to this topic

#151 emflocater

emflocater

Apollo

• Loc: Clarkson, N.Y.

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:17 AM

Thank you Mike Swanson for your prompt replies to all us Folks here on CN with this Rollover issue. Thank you so much as well for the Update that Celestron has now released to the Public the Firmware to fix the NexStar v4 and + hand controller! I will later tonight do the Firmware update procedure and post back the results.

Cheers

Don

#152 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:25 AM

Is it correct that one could simply purchase a new hand controller to fix the issue without an elaborate download?

Nope, they are usually several months (or more) behind as they are manufactured and boxed in China and shipped out to dealers.  Even the ones still in the box coming directly from Celestron are behind.  The update process is a little scary the first time but it isn't really that difficult.  The links I provided above should get you through it.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.NexStarSite.com

#153 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:29 AM

UPDATES

Shortly after I posted about the availability of the new firmware I discovered that the special version 98.22 for just those NexStar 8/9.25/11 GPS mounts currently displaying a date 17.5 years (not 20 years) in the past was not posted on Celestron's server.  I sent them a message to alert them but they have already left for the day.

Also, I neglected to mention that they are working on an update to NexRemote to add the new firmware versions.

And I have update this page of my website (and will continue to update it):

https://www.nexstars...GPSRollover.htm

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

• Stefan042 likes this

#154 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:34 AM

NexRemote gets a little love too? Boy that's good news (even if it is just a little love).

#155 emflocater

emflocater

Apollo

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:27 PM

Hi Mike Swanson. Just wanted to let you and others know I updated the Hand Controller Firmware today GEM 4.22 for my Celestron CG5-ASGT Mount using my NexStar version 4 Hand Controller to get my Celestron CN-16 GPS working with the proper date.

WORKED PERFECT!!

Only thing I had to change was the time zone from Pacific after the Firmware Update to Eastern. 

So far doing a indoor fake alignment using my Planetarium Software CDC, all seems back to normal before this Rollover issue.

Thank you Mike and thank you with 2 Thumbs Up to Celestron for quickly getting on top of this and resolving the Rollover issue!!!!

Cheers

Don

• Michael_Swanson likes this

#156 hobbes

hobbes

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia - Canada

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:46 PM

I'm glad I was able to follow this topic and get updated with the official HC firmware release. Even though it spammed my email inbox. :)

Thank you Michael, and everyone for keeping us all updated. I have patched my HC with the latest 4.22 firmware update, and looking forward to moving on.

• Michael_Swanson likes this

#157 emflocater

emflocater

Apollo

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:31 PM

I sent an email to Celestron thanking them for what their doing on this GPS Rollover Issues......read below.

I want to thank you Celestron and your Tech Team for doing a phenomenal job addressing this GPS Rollover Issue!!

I have a CG5-ASGT Mount with the CN-16 GPS Unit and the NexStar version 4 Hand Controller.

I updated the new Public Released GEM  4.22 Firmware and it resolved the GPS Rollover issue! Worked PERFECT! Shows correct date now!

Thank you, thank you, thank you Celestron. Hats off to your Team!!! Fantastic job!

Kudos to Mike Swanson as well for his devotion and informative shared info to Celestron on the GPS Rollover Issues!

Sincerely
Don Merchant

• Michael_Swanson and miamichillin99 like this

#158 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:41 PM

NXS 98.22 - for those with a version 4 hand control and a NexStar 8/9.25/11 GPS scope currently displaying a date approximately 17.5 years in the past, is now available via HCupdate.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
https://www.nexstarsite.com

• emflocater and miamichillin99 like this

#159 Nissaire

Nissaire

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:41 AM

I have a CPC 1100 affected by this issue, with both a Nexstar* and a Nexstar+ remote. Used the workaround suggested in this thread in the meantime.

Just updated both remotes following Michael's instructions from his web site. Everything went smoothly. Pretty happy about it.

I'll report back when I get a chance to test this outside.

My thanks to Michael and Celestron!

Attached Thumbnails

• Nexstar.jpg
  • Nexstar2.jpg

• emflocater likes this

#160 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:55 AM

Could someone who is in touch with Celestron determine when they will have new hand controllers available that will have software that circumvents this issue without updating? I had been planning to get a new controller anyway and would prefer to address both issues with a new one.

#161 Martin

Martin

Viking 1

• Loc: South Dakota

Posted 24 May 2019 - 03:54 PM

I have a Nexstar 5i and I noticed my gps has the wrong date also. I have CN16 GPS unit. My date is really weird. it says 10/8/15 but the number 1 in the year looks more like a "J" than a 1. I did leave the mount plugged in for over 24 hours to make sure the internal battery was charged. Time, longitude and latitude are correct, just the wrong date. My handset version is the older one. It says 2.2. Anyway, wondering if any other Nexstar 5i owners are seeing the same problem as I am. I did read through may of the posts in this thread. Sounds like I may need to get the newer handset that can be flashed and wait for Celestron to make their fix.

Martin

#162 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:08 PM

Could someone who is in touch with Celestron determine when they will have new hand controllers available that will have software that circumvents this issue without updating? I had been planning to get a new controller anyway and would prefer to address both issues with a new one.

This really won't help you much since vendors may have stock on the shelves for well over a year.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

Edited by Michael_Swanson, 24 May 2019 - 11:16 PM.

#163 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:15 PM

I have a Nexstar 5i and I noticed my gps has the wrong date also. I have CN16 GPS unit. My date is really weird. it says 10/8/15 but the number 1 in the year looks more like a "J" than a 1. I did leave the mount plugged in for over 24 hours to make sure the internal battery was charged. Time, longitude and latitude are correct, just the wrong date. My handset version is the older one. It says 2.2. Anyway, wondering if any other Nexstar 5i owners are seeing the same problem as I am. I did read through may of the posts in this thread. Sounds like I may need to get the newer handset that can be flashed and wait for Celestron to make their fix.

Martin

Hi Martin,

This is a slight variation of the /5 date I report in the NXS 4.22 section on this page:

As you can see there, Celestron has already released the fix. The new firmware for either a version 4 or NexStar+ hand control will fix your problem.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

#164 carver2011

carver2011

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:48 AM

I was about to order a Skysync module for my Evolution 8, but I’m hesitant to after reading about the rollover issue with the GPS mounts. I’m thinking the Skysync may use the same GPS chip as the mounts use and have the same problem with the rollover. Does anyone using Skysync have any issues?
Ed

#165 atnbirdie

atnbirdie

Vostok 1

• Loc: Middletown, MD

Posted 25 May 2019 - 08:08 AM

Pretty sure the problem isn't with GPS modules per se but the interpretation of their signals. Whatever, I have a SkySync and after updating my AVX mount it reports the correct date and location. 

#166 carver2011

carver2011

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:43 AM

atnbirdie, thanks. That’s good to know. It would mean to me, it’s how the mounts are reading the GPS info.
Ed

#167 DanielT

DanielT

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:02 PM

Hello Michael Swanson,

Since I was the guy who started this lengthy thread, I thought I would provide an update.  

I successfully updated my NextStar + hand controller today.  I got to the Celestron Firmware Manager (CFM) through your link.  I connected to the scope via the RS232 cable and installed the 11 updates CFM had to offer.  Once complete I received the following error message:  "GPS Accessory Bridge did not update  

successfully." 

CFM Image

That was a little concerning and after turning on and off the CPC 9.25 scope, it connected to the GPS and gave a correct date but incorrect time.  I manually corrected the time then turned off the scope and waited ten minutes before turning it back on.  On the restart, the GPS connected with proper time and date and has done so consistently since then.  

Thank you very much for all of your efforts in working to get this issue resolved.

Sincerely,

DanielT

#168 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:41 PM

Pretty sure the problem isn't with GPS modules per se but the interpretation of their signals. Whatever, I have a SkySync and after updating my AVX mount it reports the correct date and location.

Hi,

As I note here:
The SkySync modules are not currently affected by the rollover issue.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

#169 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:43 PM

Hi,

The problem is with GPS receivers, not the way the output is interpreted. It is possible to compensate externally for errors produced by the receiver.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

#170 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:47 PM

Hello Michael Swanson,

Since I was the guy who started this lengthy thread, I thought I would provide an update.

I successfully updated my NextStar + hand controller today. I got to the Celestron Firmware Manager (CFM) through your link. I connected to the scope via the RS232 cable and installed the 11 updates CFM had to offer. Once complete I received the following error message: "GPS Accessory Bridge did not update
successfully."

That was a little concerning and after turning on and off the CPC 9.25 scope, it connected to the GPS and gave a correct date but incorrect time. I manually corrected the time then turned off the scope and waited ten minutes before turning it back on. On the restart, the GPS connected with proper time and date and has done so consistently since then.

Thank you very much for all of your efforts in working to get this issue resolved.

Sincerely,

DanielT

Hi Daniel,

I seem to recall the error from CFM about the GPS bridge coming up before and I believe it is unrelated to all our recent GPS excitement.

The time would have been incorrect since loading new hand control firmware sets the time zone to the West Coast.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

#171 rj1970

rj1970

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 May 2019 - 04:00 PM

Hi Martin,

This is a slight variation of the /5 date I report in the NXS 4.22 section on this page:

As you can see there, Celestron has already released the fix. The new firmware for either a version 4 or NexStar+ hand control will fix your problem.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

Hello Michael,

My NexStar GPS 9.25 also reported a /5 date (see post #141). Today I updated using CFM 2.7.9135 to firmware version NXS 5.31.9102. After a power cycle and waiting for a GPS link it reports today's date as 12/21/95. So it seems the fix for /5 dates doesn't work (yet) for my scope. Should I wait until August 17th as you suggested earlier?

Kind regards,

Ruud.

#172 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 27 May 2019 - 06:49 AM

Hello Michael,

My NexStar GPS 9.25 also reported a /5 date (see post #141). Today I updated using CFM 2.7.9135 to firmware version NXS 5.31.9102. After a power cycle and waiting for a GPS link it reports today's date as 12/21/95. So it seems the fix for /5 dates doesn't work (yet) for my scope. Should I wait until August 17th as you suggested earlier?

Kind regards,

Ruud.

Hi Ruud,

The way I understood in the info from Celestron it should have been good now but I'm double-checking.  You don't happen to have NexRemote up and running do you?

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

#173 astrovoyeur

astrovoyeur

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston

Posted 27 May 2019 - 07:55 AM

Is it correct that one could simply purchase a new hand controller to fix the issue without an elaborate download?

Mike it isn't that difficult to update the firmware provided you have the cables. 

https://www.youtube....h?v=znXYgf_l2LA

#174 rj1970

rj1970

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 May 2019 - 12:36 PM

Hi Ruud,

The way I understood in the info from Celestron it should have been good now but I'm double-checking.  You don't happen to have NexRemote up and running do you?

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

Hello Michael,

Thanks for double-checking. I'm sorry, but NexRemote didn't install on my laptop with (64-bit) Windows 10. Is there any other way I can help identify the cause of the issue?

Kind regards,

Ruud.

#175 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 27 May 2019 - 03:18 PM

Ruud,

Right click on the NexRemote installer and select Troubleshoot compatibility and use the Win7 selections. Once installed you shouldn't have any problems running it. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics