•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

GPS Rollover Problems!

• Please log in to reply
375 replies to this topic

#176 rj1970

rj1970

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 May 2019 - 04:32 PM

Hi Ruud,

The way I understood in the info from Celestron it should have been good now but I'm double-checking.  You don't happen to have NexRemote up and running do you?

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.NexStarSite.com

Ruud,

Right click on the NexRemote installer and select Troubleshoot compatibility and use the Win7 selections. Once installed you shouldn't have any problems running it. 

@Michael_Swanson I have NexRemote up and running now, thanks to the suggestion of @mclewis1 (thank you!). What would you like me to do next?

Edited by rj1970, 27 May 2019 - 04:33 PM.

#177 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 27 May 2019 - 10:13 PM

@Michael_Swanson I have NexRemote up and running now, thanks to the suggestion of @mclewis1 (thank you!). What would you like me to do next?

Please contact me via the email link about 2/3s of the way down the home page of my website:

https://www.nexstarsite.com/

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
https://www.nexstarsite.com

#178 Callisto9993

Callisto9993

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento

Posted 29 May 2019 - 10:53 AM

Probably best if you just standby for now, you are not going to be able to fix it. We have determined that there is a combination of hardware on the second generation of NexStar GPS that is affected by the rollover problem but the date is mangled in different ways...

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

Standing by: I have only seen fixes for the version 4 and +, I have the 2.2.

Am I missing it somewhere???

Callisto9993

#179 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 29 May 2019 - 12:08 PM

Callisto9993

V2.2 is not upgradeable or flashable.  You'll need a V4 HC or better.

• Michael_Swanson and emflocater like this

#180 emflocater

emflocater

Apollo

• Loc: Clarkson, N.Y.

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:10 PM

+1 junomike

Cheers

Don

#181 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:30 PM

Callisto9993

As Mike (junomike) stated, the version 2.2 hand control is not upgradeable.  You will either need to purchase a version 4 or NexStar+ hand control, use NexRemote (an updated version with the GPS fix is on the way) or turn off GPS in the hand control menu and manually enter the date and time (it is possible to turn it on, get a GPS link which will provide correct location and time, then turn it off and manually enter the date).

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

• emflocater and Callisto9993 like this

#182 Orion68

Orion68

Vostok 1

Posted 30 May 2019 - 12:50 AM

So glad the information is here about the date problem. I have an older NS 11 GPS with the level North feature and did not realize there was a problem until tonight when it was looking for Vega instead of Capella during alignment. Took me a while to figure out the problem was the date.

I may be way off base here, but wouldn't this work until a permanent fix is available:

Select GPS align and while satellites are linking the HC gives you the opportunity to change any of the items. You can scroll through all of the options for time, date, latitude, etc. When you come to the date, you can press UNDO and enter your own date. Then press enter to accept all of the other parameters and all of the information should be correct. From that point a 2 star align should work. This method doesn't require turning off the GPS, but just simply changing the date provided by the GPS.

My apologies if I'm missing something and thanks for any feedback.

#183 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 30 May 2019 - 01:02 AM

So glad the information is here about the date problem. I have an older NS 11 GPS with the level North feature and did not realize there was a problem until tonight when it was looking for Vega instead of Capella during alignment. Took me a while to figure out the problem was the date.

I may be way off base here, but wouldn't this work until a permanent fix is available:

Select GPS align and while satellites are linking the HC gives you the opportunity to change any of the items. You can scroll through all of the options for time, date, latitude, etc. When you come to the date, you can press UNDO and enter your own date. Then press enter to accept all of the other parameters and all of the information should be correct. From that point a 2 star align should work. This method doesn't require turning off the GPS, but just simply changing the date provided by the GPS.

My apologies if I'm missing something and thanks for any feedback.

If you get the alignment started before the GPS links in the background, yes, that can work.  But, if anything causes the HC to query the GPS again throughout the night (for example, if you execute View Time-Site in the menu), your date will be off and you will get to perform the alignment again.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

#184 Orion68

Orion68

Vostok 1

Posted 30 May 2019 - 02:04 AM

If you get the alignment started before the GPS links in the background, yes, that can work.  But, if anything causes the HC to query the GPS again throughout the night (for example, if you execute View Time-Site in the menu), your date will be off and you will get to perform the alignment again.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

Got it, thanks much for the explanation, very helpful.

In reading the other posts, looks like a permanent fix for me is a new hand controller. My current HC says... on row 1: 2.2  4.6  4.6    row 2 says: 2.2   2.2 

So, am assuming my HC is 2.2 and not upgradeable to fix this issue. Not sure what the 4.6 refers to, maybe the MC? Is it true there is no fix for my HC?

Thanks again.

#185 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:45 AM

Yes, The 2.2 number is the hand controller firmware level and the 4.6 4.6 numbers are the firmware levels for the two motor controllers (one for each axis - Alt and Az) on the internal motor controller board.

#186 Orion68

Orion68

Vostok 1

Posted 30 May 2019 - 10:11 AM

Yes, The 2.2 number is the hand controller firmware level and the 4.6 4.6 numbers are the firmware levels for the two motor controllers (one for each axis - Alt and Az) on the internal motor controller board.

Ok, thanks for the information Mark, very appreciated. Looks like a new HC is in my future.

#187 astrovoyeur

astrovoyeur

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston

Posted 30 May 2019 - 10:52 AM

Ok, thanks for the information Mark, very appreciated. Looks like a new HC is in my future.

I've bought several of these version 5s and they work great.  Its super simple to upgrade the firmware with celestron's CFM.   They take the same serial cable as the v4 and probably your v2.     https://www.ebay.com...872.m2749.l2649

#188 Orion68

Orion68

Vostok 1

Posted 30 May 2019 - 12:13 PM

I've bought several of these version 5s and they work great.  Its super simple to upgrade the firmware with celestron's CFM.   They take the same serial cable as the v4 and probably your v2.     https://www.ebay.com...872.m2749.l2649

Good to know and a less than half the price of a new HC. Hate to expose my ignorance, but what is the Celestron CFM you mentioned? Is that short for Celestron Firmware Manager?

Thanks for the link!

#189 Orion68

Orion68

Vostok 1

Posted 30 May 2019 - 12:38 PM

Sorry if this has been reported previously, if so I missed it.

Is this the CFM version with the fix for the GPS rollover?  CFM_2.7.9135zip 5/22/2019

#190 astrovoyeur

astrovoyeur

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston

Posted 30 May 2019 - 01:15 PM

Sorry if this has been reported previously, if so I missed it.

Is this the CFM version with the fix for the GPS rollover?  CFM_2.7.9135zip 5/22/2019

CFM_2.7.9135zip  5/22/2019  is the current version of the Celestron Firmware Manager used to install whatever firmware is current for the attached HC.   Once CFM is running on your computer it will connect to Celestron and download the most current firmware for your HC which is 5.31.9102 and then install it to the HC.

#191 Orion68

Orion68

Vostok 1

Posted 30 May 2019 - 02:41 PM

CFM_2.7.9135zip  5/22/2019  is the current version of the Celestron Firmware Manager used to install whatever firmware is current for the attached HC.   Once CFM is running on your computer it will connect to Celestron and download the most current firmware for your HC which is 5.31.9102 and then install it to the HC.

Sounds good. Thanks.

Just found a posting on Stargazers Lounge that says 5.31.9102 does fix the date rollover problem. Am sure many of you already know this, but maybe a few slow pokes like me are still getting up to speed.

Edited by Orion68, 30 May 2019 - 03:10 PM.

• Callisto9993 likes this

#192 AstroDier

AstroDier

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 May 2019 - 07:54 PM

Hey Everyone,

I found your site when I started looking for answers to the GPS issue with my 2001 NexStar GPS11.  First I'd like to say thanks to everyone here for all the work they've put in finding a solution to this issue.  This post (and Michael's NexStar Resource Site) have been a treasure trove of information and I would have been completely lost if I hadn't found you.  I'll try and be brief with my question.  About a month ago I noticed the GPS issue (work has kept me away from the scope for over 6 months).  I originally had the  /"J" 5 return on the date (MC v 4.06, HC v 1.6).  I read every post in this thread and acquired a NexStar+ HC, downloaded CFM and loaded the latest update to the HC (5.31.9102).  I was excited to get the scope out today hoping it would solve my problem, but no such luck.  It looks like I have the same issue as Ruud (post #171), I got 12/28/95 when I linked up to the satellites.  My question is should I wait until the August 17th update or is there something else I should do before then.  BTW, I have NextRemote up and running on my computer.

Thanks!

Ron

#193 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 01 June 2019 - 12:19 AM

Hi Ron,

I've been working with Ruud and Celestron off-line in regards to this problem on NexStar 8/9.25/11 GPS mounts with the NexStar+ hand control.  Celestron will need to further modify the NexStar+ firmware to work with those mounts returning a date with a year of 95.  Stay tuned.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

#194 AstroDier

AstroDier

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 June 2019 - 08:39 AM

Thanks Michael!  I do have another quick question for you.  I took the scope out last night and I definitely have the "not responding"  and sluggish direction control issues with my NexStar+ hand control.  Should I switch to the older control version for the hand control from your site or will this create issues for solving the GPS issue?

Again, thank you for everything you are doing!!!

Ron

#195 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 02 June 2019 - 06:22 PM

The older version at my website does NOT have a fix for the GPS issue. But then again, for your specific mount the new version does fix the GPS issue either :-(

Current status is that Celestron is aware of both issues and intends to fix them.  Specifically, those two issues are:

- The GPS problem of the NexStar+ hand control (HC) returning a year of "95" on some NexStar 8/9.25/11 GPS mounts.  They are pretty close to fixing that one, although it could still be a few weeks before it is released.

- The intermittent "no response" and sluggish arrow buttons issue when using a NexStar+ HC on some NexStar 8/9.25/11 GPS mounts.  They have not begun any actual work on this other than acknowledging the problem.  I can't tell you when that will be fixed, only that they intend to fix it.

So Ron, in your particular case there are three options that come to mind while you await a fix for both of those issues.

First, go back to your old HC, turn off GPS in the HC menu and manually enter the date (note that each night you can turn on GPS, get a correct location and time, then turn off GPS and manually enter the date).

Second, load the older firmware from my website onto the NexStar+ HC, turn off GPS in the HC menu and manually enter the date (note that each night you can turn on GPS, get a correct location and time, then turn off GPS and manually enter the date).

Third, use the new NexRemote (just released to beta testing on http://teamcelestron.com) in place of the physical HC.  This adds the complication of needing a PC out at the scope, but it does fix the GPS rollover issue for the NexStar 8/9.25/11 GPS mounts and doesn't have the "no response" issue.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

#196 Sky King

Sky King

Sputnik

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 02 June 2019 - 10:45 PM

Hi, Found this thread and tried to trouble shoot an AVX, Starsense and CN16. Updated with CFM today and now I'm getting the right time, but 10/17/99. I switched to manual and put in the correct date and left it on manual. (Source now says RTC internal.) If I set it back on GPS it updates to wrong date again. Is mount usable if I follow these steps each time? Will getting a newer model Starsync completely resolve the problem?  Thanks 

Edited by Sky King, 02 June 2019 - 10:48 PM.

#197 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 02 June 2019 - 10:54 PM

Hi, Found this thread and tried to trouble shoot an AVX, Starsense and CN16. Updated with CFM today and now I'm getting the right time, but 10/17/99. I switched to manual and put in the correct date and left it on manual. (Source now says RTC internal.) If I set it back on GPS it updates to wrong date again. Is mount usable if I follow these steps each time? Will getting a newer model Starsync completely resolve the problem?  Thanks 

Hi,

The StarSense firmware upgrade required to fix the problem has not yet been released.  It is still being tested by users at http://teamcelestron.com

The firmware upgrade will completely fix the problem once released, no need to purchase a new SkySync GPS module.

Yes, the mount is usable if you turn the GPS off and manually set the date/time.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

#198 Sky King

Sky King

Sputnik

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 02 June 2019 - 11:13 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. After reading more it appears that the AVX has a internal battery to retain the date and time. (RTC). So setting it may not be much of a chore. 

#199 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 02 June 2019 - 11:33 PM

Actually, if you don't travel with the scope, you can resort to using the RTC (internal "real time clock") and disconnect the CN16 for now.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

#200 Callisto9993

Callisto9993

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento

Posted 05 June 2019 - 01:49 PM

As Mike (junomike) stated, the version 2.2 hand control is not upgradeable.  You will either need to purchase a version 4 or NexStar+ hand control, use NexRemote (an updated version with the GPS fix is on the way) or turn off GPS in the hand control menu and manually enter the date and time (it is possible to turn it on, get a GPS link which will provide correct location and time, then turn it off and manually enter the date).

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

One more question on replacing my old v2.2 HC. Should I get a V4 or a +???

Any important differences???

BTW, did the "turning off GPS" technique and it worked like a charm! Thanks to all of you!

Jesse Delaney

Sacramento, CA

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics