•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Saturn...The Football

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 April 2004 - 03:30 PM

I suppose this is in other threads ad nauseum...but what conditions do I need to see Saturn as other than a football?

Using Celestron Sky Master 15x70s on hefty tripod.

Ever since I bought them it's been heavy cloud cover but last night I got a peek at a very bright Saturn and all it needed was the NFL logo.

Jupiter is showing it's moons nicely deliniated in between cloud banks but I REALLY want to see Saturn better. Usual parking lot light pollution.

Maybe the planet was too bright?

Thanks
Doug

#2 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 12 April 2004 - 03:59 PM

Magnification of 15x and 16x will just barely show a black space between Saturn's rings and the disk. Saturn approaches detail at magnifications around 40x to 80x.

edz

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2004 - 06:54 AM

I can confirm EdZ's claim. At 22x I can just barely see a little black space between the ring and the disk, BUT the over all shape is football-like.

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2004 - 10:05 AM

Oddly, I'm glad to hear that. Thought for a bit the eyes were going south. Thanks.

#5 sftonkin

sftonkin

Messenger

Posted 13 April 2004 - 11:14 AM

I can see the space between the disk and the ansae clearly at x20. I have seen it once at x16 (Fujinons). I was unable to see it in the Helios 15x70.

Btw, I am sure that Kenny J will confirm that it's Mars that looks like a football -- Saturn looks like a rugby ball!
:tonofbricks:

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2004 - 11:35 AM

I'll need to get my regionals in order...

American Football. :bow:

#7 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 13 April 2004 - 04:21 PM

Stephen,

Following that historic innings by Mr. Lara I wouldn't mind betting there are now two or three CRICKET balls fitting the description too :-)

Back to the main point - I think to clearly discern the rings of Saturn , or more specifically the "gap" between the rings and the main sphere, at only 15x requires not only EXCELLENT seeing conditions , but even more excellent optics.

In my opinion , the challenge is very similar in chances of success to that of seeing the 4th trapezium star in Orion.

In both cases , it's good to definitely see these things at around 40x through a scope ( or large binoculars )then at least one "knows" what they are looking for , but therein lies the danger of "imagination" kicking in :-)

I can actually "positively identify" Saturn through my Zeiss 7 x 42s -- but of of course not by virtue of ring separation.

Regards -- Kenny.

#8 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 13 April 2004 - 06:50 PM

I have yet to see the space in my 15X70 Obies. Sometimes I think I see a glimpse of it but that could be wishful seeing.

#9 Gord

Gord

Vendor - ATM Optical Supply

• Vendors

Posted 14 April 2004 - 03:13 PM

In my Burgess 15x70 (on a tripod of course), Saturn is a football shape as everyone describes, and I can see the blackness between the rings and planet.

It's pretty close to what I see in my ST80 @ 16x.

Jupiter is just hinting at the two main cloud bands. Depends on the seeing and how tired my eyes are. Looking at a CRT all day everyday and being in a bored mood at work doesn't help...

I should also note that almost all of these observations have been from inside looking out through plate glass. Outside is likely better.

-Gord

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics