•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

shaming tailgaiters leaving NEAF

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 gillmj24

gillmj24

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: PA

Posted 08 April 2019 - 01:04 PM

Good grief someone must've been unhappy with the show this year. Almost rear ended me twice between RCC and 287 south going back to NJ.

Yes I have license plate but most likely inappropriate to post it gaah.gif

#2 Cajundaddy

Cajundaddy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cucamonga CA

Posted 08 April 2019 - 01:24 PM

Simple rules for tailgaters:

1. Always drive in the slower lanes unless you are actively passing someone else.  Leave the left lane open for passing by others.  On single lane roads, use turnouts often to allow faster traffic to pass.

2. Never let them get under your skin.  Keep your eyes ahead and if there is a passing opportunity, let them go.

3. Never tap the brakes, brake check them, or otherwise incite road rage.

4. When a passing opportunity arises, simply back out of the throttle gently, slowly, excruciatingly, 1mph at a time until they go around.  This works 100% of the time.

Crisis averted, now back to a peaceful drive at your own pace.

• doctordub likes this

#3 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:08 PM

I was amazed myself at how a number of New York drivers are extremely aggressive in their driving yesterday as I left NEAF and headed for the airport. I was reminded of our California Los Angeles drivers.bigshock.gif

BTW, I came back on United non-stop from Newark to Sacramento and it was the roughest flight I have been on in 40 years. Came out of the tail bathroom and had to sit strapped in with the stewardess on their bench seat back there because I couldn't safely get back to my regular seat. No one was able to get up for about an hour and a half including the stewardesses. It was a mess in the isles with empty drink containers, snacks and even ice cubes plus spilled drinks everywhere.

Nice ladies, we had fun talking and hanging on to each other as we bounced around on the bench to keep from getting hurt.  They were doing a turn around that night. I felt sorry for them. 

• psandelle, Thomas Marshall and Scott123 like this

#4 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Skylab

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:23 PM

1. Always drive in the slower lanes unless you are actively passing someone else.  Leave the left lane open for passing by others.  On single lane roads, use turnouts often to allow faster traffic to pass.

2. Never let them get under your skin.  Keep your eyes ahead and if there is a passing opportunity, let them go.

3. Never tap the brakes, brake check them, or otherwise incite road rage.

4. When a passing opportunity arises, simply back out of the throttle gently, slowly, excruciatingly, 1mph at a time until they go around.  This works 100% of the time.

Yep... I use #4 when someone is on my bumper but seems reluctant to pass. My drive to work was long meandering hills infested with deer... making tailgating even extra dangerous. If I would have to slam on my brakes... that woman behind would be right up my rear. PS: Yep... here in NY drivers are not cautiously assertive... they are Dangerously Aggressive! Might explain why our auto insurance is so expensive. PS: The richer suburbs seem to attract even more aggressive entitleds.    Tom

• doctordub, Starkid2u and Scott123 like this

#5 gillmj24

gillmj24

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:19 PM

NJ plates for what it's worth. And no room to let them pass between NEAF and the highway on small side streets.

#6 jpbutler

jpbutler

Apollo

• Loc: Edison, NJ

Posted 08 April 2019 - 04:59 PM

welcome to the greater ny city metro area.

The only good thing about drivers here is that they are better than drivers in the Boston area.

Also, Pa drivers drive 10 mph below the speed limit in the left lane and should not be allowed out of state.

Have I missed anyone?

John

• doctordub and psandelle like this

#7 nicoyenny

nicoyenny

Viking 1

Posted 08 April 2019 - 05:03 PM

2. Never let them get under your skin.  Keep your eyes ahead and if there is a passing opportunity, let them go.

3. Never tap the brakes, brake check them, or otherwise incite road rage.

Are you sure you are here in SoCal? :lol:

Rule # 1 doesn't exist, at all, around here !!!!

Rule # 2 rules the road ;)

Rule # 3 ... depends who is behind :D

Rule # 4, the one I use ....

#8 Cajundaddy

Cajundaddy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cucamonga CA

Posted 08 April 2019 - 05:24 PM

Are you sure you are here in SoCal? lol.gif

Rule # 1 doesn't exist, at all, around here !!!!

Rule # 2 rules the road wink.gif

Rule # 3 ... depends who is behind laugh.gif

Rule # 4, the one I use ....

We cannot control what other drivers do.  We can only control what we do and relieve a great deal of anxiety along the way. People are crazy, some are struggling with personal demons, some have guns, some simply don't pay much attention while driving.  Just getting out of the way and letting faster traffic go by is often the simplest solution to preserving our own personal space on the road. 

If you are in the fast lane on a freeway or a single lane mountain road with no one in front of you and a crazed lunatic scraping your rear bumper, you are part of the problem.  Just move over and let them go.  If they drive over their head and find themselves in a ditch, that is their problem.  Just let them go.

Edited by Cajundaddy, 08 April 2019 - 05:37 PM.

• doctordub and jim kuhns like this

#9 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors

Posted 08 April 2019 - 05:38 PM

Years ago I was stationed in Libya. The most common fatal accidents were from head on crashes as they liked to play "chicken" on the one lane roads. I honestly believe at that time the second most fatal accident for a citizen was talking back to the Libyan police!

gramps.gif  

Edited by scadvice, 08 April 2019 - 05:38 PM.

• jpbutler likes this

#10 swalker

swalker

Associate Editor - Sky & Telescope

• Vendors
  • Loc: 42.9225°N, 71.2242°W

Posted 09 April 2019 - 05:57 AM

Welcome to the northeast. I drive to Cambridge MA from near Manchester, NH every day, and I see more and more of these crazy drivers every day. It's particularly vexing when the car space I leave in front of me as a buffer to avoid rear-ending the car in front of me is treated like an invitation for those clowns. I also see 3-4 cars that have all rear ended each other for doing the same thing almost daily, so karma... But but they were notably worse in NJ/NY this weekend.

• doctordub and Scott123 like this

#11 gillmj24

gillmj24

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 09 April 2019 - 08:09 AM

The only good thing about drivers here is that they are better than drivers in the Boston area.

Also, Pa drivers drive 10 mph below the speed limit in the left lane and should not be allowed out of state.

Have I missed anyone?

John

Take a pic next time since I have never seen this lol.gif PA people are used to only state police being allowed to use radar so very few speeding tickets on the highways. Not sure if I was supposed to let that secret out.....

Edited by gillmj24, 09 April 2019 - 08:10 AM.

• doctordub likes this

#12 Brianfromsyr

Brianfromsyr

Mariner 2

• Loc: Syracuse, New York

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:16 PM

I am from Upstate N.Y. and I am always nervous about driving around Suffern.
Never seen so many people zip past me in 30 mph zones when I am driving over 30 myself.
They seem like they have to pull in front of me so close that they almost take the paint off of my bumper.
So it might be more appropriate to call out City drivers than N.Y. drivers.
I work for the NYS Thruway and put huge miles in everyday and I hate driving near the big city.

#13 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 09 April 2019 - 03:55 PM

And on Saturday there are so many pedestrians on the side of the road on their way to services.

Alex
  • RedLionNJ likes this

#14 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors

Posted 09 April 2019 - 04:13 PM

They also have some of the deepest potholes around the Newark AP highways I've ever seen. I guess most don't notice them because at the speed they are going the tire just stays in the air. lol.gif

I wonder what they are doing with all that road toll money they charged me?

#15 droe

droe

Viking 1

• Loc: Fenton, Mi

Posted 09 April 2019 - 04:36 PM

If they were coming from NEAF, I would have assumed they bought some new equipment and were trying to get home before the clouds rolled in.

• aaube, charotarguy, Brianfromsyr and 1 other like this

#16 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:04 PM

And on Saturday there are so many pedestrians on the side of the road on their way to services.

Alex

Their religion (Hasidic Judaism) prevents them from driving on the weekend from Friday sunset. You will also see a lot of hitchhikers.

#17 kksmith

kksmith

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Montana

Posted 10 April 2019 - 05:27 AM

Exactly why I love Montana. Get on I-15 heading south from Great Falls to Helena - usually half mile to a mile between you and the vehicle in front of you or behind you. Lucky if you see 50 vehicles in that 85 mile stretch. Ahhhhh - Montana!

Ken

• GilATM, mich_al, Brianfromsyr and 1 other like this

#18 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:08 AM

Their religion (Hasidic Judaism) prevents them from driving on the weekend from Friday sunset. You will also see a lot of hitchhikers.

Oh yeah, one can tell from the dress. But why is hitchhiking okay. Is the restriction about motor vehicle or driving?

Alex

#19 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:09 AM

Oh yeah, one can tell from the dress. But why is hitchhiking okay. Is the restriction about motor vehicle or driving?

Alex

I think the restriction is doing the work of driving. Letting someone else drive is OK.

• Cajundaddy and Scott123 like this

#20 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:20 AM

The temple should hire a non believer to run a bus to the service.

Alex
  • mich_al, RedLionNJ and Scott123 like this

#21 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 10 April 2019 - 05:30 PM

I expected something about wearing gaiters with tails.

Clear skies, Alan

#22 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:42 PM

Have I missed anyone?

John

In upstate There is plenty of road to make those who crawl in the outside lane suffer. Pass and dropping to 5 MPH tends to make the point after a couple of miles. Right lanes is there if they want to dither. One interesting observation, open sun roof, extend straw from a vente camel macchiato.. Bernoulli’s principle leaves a deliciously sticky aerosol. Not talking about folks that can’t get out of the way, but those who get their jollies by holding others up. Agree on the PA plates in the outside lane 10 mph below the speed limit and the brain in the trunk.

Edited by Phil Cowell, 10 April 2019 - 06:49 PM.

#23 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:55 PM

Take a pic next time since I have never seen this lol.gif PA people are used to only state police being allowed to use radar so very few speeding tickets on the highways. Not sure if I was supposed to let that secret out.....

It’s when they leave PA the neurological malfunction takes place. 

#24 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Vostok 1

• Loc: Otisco ny.

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:18 AM

im from upstate . yes there are agresssive driving... but what shocked me most... the GARBAGE.. RVEN IN PEOPLES YARDS. along the roads and in Suffern . im glad i dont live there.. on another side note heard a group telling how dark it was in rhe burbs of nyc and nj....i guess they have never been upstate. or utah. new mexico .. lol
  • Phil Cowell likes this

#25 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:07 AM

Not just in the NY burbs...my wife stubbornly drives the posted speed limit.  She doesn't move aside, she doesn't tap her brakes, all she does is, as she says 'drive legally'  It makes people crazy...she has actually been bumped a couple of times..... other drivers regularly roar past her and practically scrape her front bumper pulling back in, she just drives serenely along.  It IS the speed limit, after all.  She stoutly maintains that driving at the legal posted speed is never part of the problem, and while being the slowest vehicle on the interstate - even in the right lane - can be frightening sometimes, she will never get a speeding ticket!

But that said, I have often tried to explain to my family (we live rural) that out here, folks leave space, but more urban drivers are not actually driving aggressively, they just automatically drive 6 feet apart at 70 MPH, because that's how the driving works in town, so they're actually doing their normal thing... 

• kksmith and Scott123 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics