•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

shaming tailgaiters leaving NEAF

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#51 Cajundaddy

Cajundaddy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cucamonga CA

Posted 14 April 2019 - 12:19 PM

I'm sorry, but yes, pulling over is THE SAFEST THING to do, but...... there is a significant sub-message to this thread that says that a person OBEYING THE LAW is ABSOLUTELY PART OF the problem, that those of us who merely drive 5 miles an hour over the posted speed should get the h-e-double ll out of the way of anybody who drank too much coffee or left for work late or had an argument with their spouse or whatever or just wants to play with their fancy roadster. 

It is not MY speed limit..... there are signs along the side of the road that post it for ALL of the road's users.  I certainly didn't choose those numbers. 

FIFY Roscoe.

This is the point many keep making and you keep avoiding.  Of course no one has suggested that you run your car into a ditch.  No one is suggesting that you are breaking any laws by obstructing faster traffic in the US while driving the speed limit, although it is against the law in many other countries. The safest thing to do is to always let faster traffic pass when possible. 

We do not know the circumstances of the tailgating driver behind and obstructing faster traffic, while absolutely legal in the US puts us at potentially greater risk.  There is zero upside and a potentially serious downside to maintaining the posted speed while obstructing faster traffic behind us.  Maybe the tailgater is just out hooning around, maybe their water broke and they are having a baby, maybe they are on PCP, maybe they just robbed a gas station.  We don't know why they are driving so fast.  Wisdom suggests that it is always safer to let them go and survive the drive, than to hold firmly to our position, obey all traffic speed laws and be absolutely right.  Dead right.

waytogo.gif

Edited by Cajundaddy, 14 April 2019 - 03:54 PM.

• Phil Cowell, JNDiller and roscoe like this

#52 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:36 PM

FIFY Roscoe.

This is the point many keep making and you keep avoiding.  Of course no one has suggested that you run your car into a ditch.  No one is suggesting that you are breaking any laws by obstructing faster traffic in the US while driving the speed limit, although it is against the law in many other countries. The safest thing to do is to always let faster traffic pass when possible. 

We do not know the circumstances of the tailgating driver behind and obstructing faster traffic, while absolutely legal in the US puts us at potentially greater risk.  There is zero upside and a potentially serious downside to maintaining the posted speed while obstructing faster traffic behind us.  Maybe the tailgater is just out hooning around, maybe their water broke and they are having a baby, maybe they are on PCP, maybe they just robbed a gas station.  We don't know why they are driving so fast.  Wisdom suggests that it is always safer to let them go and survive the drive, than to hold firmly to our position, obey all traffic speed laws and be absolutely right.  Dead right.

waytogo.gif

I salute you sir, here’s to more drivers like yourself. If the outside lane is used to pass then move back in then traffic would flow much smoother. 

• JNDiller and Cajundaddy like this

#53 Swanny

Swanny

Ranger 4

• Loc: AZ

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:29 AM

I travel the country for biz so I get to experience the realm of US driving.  The differences are not that great between good and bad driving on expressways.  Usually courtesy is the difference.  Getting out of the left/passing lane when it passing is a good idea.  And I don’t mean passing going 1-2mph over the person on the right but actually passing.   Just do society a favor and move over.  You are still ‘right’ in your mind as you will still be going around the limit.  People that are so stubborn holding their personal constitution in the left lane are overwhelmingly the problem county wide.  In regards to unsafe driving, traffic flow, etc.  It is about the most passive aggressive thing you can do.  I mean, every driver out there passed their driving test.  We don’t need some stubborn, passive aggressive, self serving citizen to try and ‘enforce’ the limit/law to strangers.  Because you are often violating the law parking in the left lane in many states yourself.  Just move over so everyone can enjoy their day the best they can.

• Phil Cowell, JNDiller and roscoe like this

#54 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:58 AM

Good grief someone must've been unhappy with the show this year. Almost rear ended me twice between RCC and 287 south going back to NJ.

Part of this may be related to the location, the time, and NEAF itself.

The 'last holdouts' - maybe 50% or more of the attendees, plus some of the Exhibitors, are all crowded into the main theater for the closing remarks, "main presentation", raffle drawing - and everyone is exhausted.

At the end the guards quickly funnel everyone directly out into the parking lot (no returning to the other spaces - "keep moving!!" ) - meaning tired and groggy people hauling heavy bags are all dumped into a parking lot at the same time. Everyone wants to get on the road - but the layout of the roads at Rockland Community College are confusing - and the Campus Police are waiting to "get ya". Late Sunday afternoon is a high traffic time, and 'bumper to bumper' vehicle spacing is typical for the area.

When I left (with a friend driving) -- when we finally got to the Campus exit gate the fellow in front of us (NEAF? Or student?) was stopped occupying BOTH left and right exit lanes - with no turn indicator. "Which way is he going? Why is he waiting?"  Of course he went the opposite to what we figured.

#55 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:57 AM

NEAF is a little confusing when you first get there. I parked in one of the lower lots the first day and brought in a scope to a manufacturer for a warranty issue. When I went to bring the case back to the car so I wouldn't have to carry it around I could not find my rental car!  After a full half hour of looking and not finding it I realize that coming out of the building it exited by the upper parking not the lower. They look the same.ohlord.gif  

#56 Ron-Fr

Ron-Fr

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Way too close to Paris, France

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:01 PM

that rule about being in the left lane only for passing is quite common in Europe. It is not just an autobahn rule, but all over. 

But it is not part of the American way of doing things.  I've seen it posted as such as a few places in America, but not generally.

Alex

Being a French person who sometimes drives in the US, this is what really strikes me on American roads. This, and the fact that in the US speed limits seem to be purely optional.

#57 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 20 April 2019 - 04:56 PM

Being a French person who sometimes drives in the US, this is what really strikes me on American roads. This, and the fact that in the US speed limits seem to be purely optional.

Growing up in the U.K. and moving to the States in ‘87 it was a change for me. Flash your lights in Europe and folks move over. In the states you get to identify their IQ.

#58 nicoyenny

nicoyenny

Viking 1

Posted 21 April 2019 - 06:00 PM

Flashing your lights generally offers zero results around here, people don’t look at their rearview mirrors anymore, they are too distracted texting...

• Phil Cowell and Ron-Fr like this

#59 buddy ny

buddy ny

Viking 1

• Loc: USA N.Carolina

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:40 AM

Read this whole thread
::::chuckling as I read:::
Did this trip in a car 1 time only...weather permitting .. Never again
Strap your TV-85 on your back & blast up to NEAF
On your Motorcycles.
I've done it from L.I. NY
To upstate Rockland // Sufferen area many a time
All the traffic I saw was in my rear view mirror.
God made as many stars as he did horrible driver's
It's a great ride as well
Adrenalin & Astronomy.

All kidding aside.
I'd lose my mind sitting behind the folks who are on the Valium maintenance programm

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics