•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Any ex-refractor guys here?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#51 MJB87

MJB87

Apollo

• Loc: Talbot County, MD

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:50 AM

The question reminds me of the one about cars: which do you prefer, a sports car or a pickup truck.  The fact is they are different and each suited to its own task.

Fortunately, I have both: an f/6.3 5" refractor for imaging of dim big things (think nebula) and an f/15 12" Cassegrain for capturing small but bright things (think planet).

I initially started with visual and a big SCT but found that less than ideal when I transitioned to imaging, so I shifted for a few years to a refractor. That has worked great for DSOs.  Imaging is so much easier with a refractor than an big SCT.

However, I miss watching moons transit Jupiter, showing the rings of Saturn to visitors, etc. So I've returned to having a big reflector, now mounted side by side with my refractor.  Best of both worlds.

MJB

• Jon Isaacs, rcg and memento like this

#52 JimOfOakCreek

JimOfOakCreek

Ranger 4

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:29 PM

I have both, a nice 4” APO and an 8” SCT. I enjoy them both. The refractor has better contrast on planetary work and cleaner split on doubles. The SCT does considerably better on revealing DSOs. 

Both are very portable and a nice combination to have.

• Scott Beith and Spikey131 like this

#53 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 29 April 2019 - 12:07 AM

For visual, I "upgraded" from a 120mm ED refractor to a 180mm Maksutov. I wanted to keep my mount when I considered my upgrade path. That basically eliminated the 6" ED refractor, though the 140mm f7 refractor remained an option. Price was decisive. At that point the 140mm was over $3000. I picked up a Maksutov on sale, complete with minimal packing and special battering courtesy of Amazon and UPS, for about a third of the price.

It was an upgrade, as the optics are excellent, and 60mm additional aperture is hard to argue with. The Mak has some refractor characteristics, as well. Collimation is at most a "do it once and forget about it" job. With proper insulation it becomes a "set up and go" scope.

• elwaine likes this

#54 elwaine

elwaine

Vanguard

• Loc: Jupiter

Posted 29 April 2019 - 10:01 AM

I've been all over the place. Started with an 8" SCT. Had mirror's as large as 12.5" (in an RCOS Ritchie-Chretien), and several A-P refractors as large as 5". Now that I'm nearly as old as Bilbo Baggins, I really enjoy the two small scopes I own: a 92mm refractor and a 180mm Mak.

For me, as an ideal travel package, it's hard to beat a 92mm refractor on a small, light weight GoTo mount (the SkyWatcher AZ-GTi) supported on a carbon fiber tripod, using Sky Safari on a smart phone to control the mount. 

But when at home, I prefer the 180mm Mak.

Edited by elwaine, 29 April 2019 - 10:02 AM.

• Scott Beith, John O'Grady and bbqediguana like this

#55 rcg

rcg

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SE Missouri

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:28 PM

I like a refractor for wide field, hope to get a 10" CC for planetary and small field. Had an 8" Mak but cooling was an issue. Where I live 10" will probably about max out my sky conditions. Have a 110 for my idea of grab and go.

Edited by rcg, 30 April 2019 - 08:29 PM.

#56 Dynan

Dynan

Vanguard

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 03 May 2019 - 05:13 PM

Almost ready to go. Putting in the new Dec motor tonight. One addition to the Moonlite V2 controller cable (right angle adapter) and we're off to First Light Land... I hope.

ES ED127CF 2.jpg

• Scott Beith and BKBrown like this

#57 Dynan

Dynan

Vanguard

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 03 May 2019 - 05:21 PM

(Con't)

Of course, this guy is always ready to go... Just need a re-wiring session to eliminate cord drag/hang.

C11 ORIG PIER.jpg

I expanded the cover so I can leave the entire setup together, instead of just the mount.

So I guess I'm a hybrid Refractor Guy...

• Scott Beith and BKBrown like this

#58 Arcticpaddler

Arcticpaddler

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Minnesota, USA

Posted 03 May 2019 - 07:12 PM

I started with a small (60mm) refractor in the 1970s.  My main scope now is an 8-inch SCT, but I also have a 4-inch refractor.  Different tools for different purposes.  I hunt galaxies with the SCT, and view wide field objects like the North American or Rossette Nebulas with the refractor.

I also own (and use) five pairs of Nordic skis, four sleeping bags, and numerous guns and fishing rods.

Edited by Arcticpaddler, 03 May 2019 - 07:13 PM.

• Scott Beith likes this

#59 Spikey131

Spikey131

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 May 2019 - 08:41 PM

I started with a small (60mm) refractor in the 1970s.  My main scope now is an 8-inch SCT, but I also have a 4-inch refractor.  Different tools for different purposes.  I hunt galaxies with the SCT, and view wide field objects like the North American or Rossette Nebulas with the refractor.

I also own (and use) five pairs of Nordic skis, four sleeping bags, and numerous guns and fishing rods.

I also have a C8 and a 4” refractor.  They complement each other fabulously, as do yours.

I also enjoy 2 canoes, several fly rods and thousands of flies.  These do not contribute directly to my appreciation of the heavens, but they keep me busy during the day in places where the skies are dark.

• Scott Beith and Arcticpaddler like this

#60 Arcticpaddler

Arcticpaddler

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Minnesota, USA

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:50 PM

I also have a C8 and a 4” refractor.  They complement each other fabulously, as do yours.

I also enjoy 2 canoes, several fly rods and thousands of flies.  These do not contribute directly to my appreciation of the heavens, but they keep me busy during the day in places where the skies are dark.

Haha!  I forgot to add my two canoes, as well.  Gotta have hobbies!

• rcg likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics