•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone use the Explore Scientific N208 CF Newtonian ?

EAA equipment observing reflector
  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:11 AM

CCD-Freak - Curious, what are the fundamental differences/improvements of the ES8CF?  Thanks!

The prototype I have uses an upgraded spider and the rest is pretty much the same as the production model. The paint scheme uses white end rings and mounting rings which I think looks pretty "snazzy" against the carbon fiber tube.  When I image I use the finder mount to hold a focus motor so I use an extra mounting ring to mount a finder.  The focuser looks to be slightly different as well.

ES8-AP900 at CBSP_02.JPG

John Love

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

Edited by CCD-Freak, 12 April 2019 - 09:12 AM.

• wcoastsands likes this

#27 wcoastsands

wcoastsands

Vostok 1

• Loc: San Luis Obispo, CA, USA

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:41 PM

I found this article comparing 5 different coma correctors to be really informative. I stumbled across it when I first started looking into them, and I find I keep going back to it.

http://www.astrofotoblog.eu/?p=856

#28 Davesterx

Davesterx

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:32 PM

John, I'm very interesting in hearing about your results and then finding out if ES has made any announcements about availability and price. I'm looking to buy an 8-10" CF tube newt and as I'm seeing there might be some new ones coming out I'm going to hold off and see what's new. I'd love to get one before RMSS!

Dave

• CCD-Freak likes this

#29 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Boston

Posted 12 April 2019 - 04:44 PM

The prototype I have uses an upgraded spider and the rest is pretty much the same as the production model. The paint scheme uses white end rings and mounting rings which I think looks pretty "snazzy" against the carbon fiber tube.  When I image I use the finder mount to hold a focus motor so I use an extra mounting ring to mount a finder.  The focuser looks to be slightly different as well.

attachicon.gif ES8-AP900 at CBSP_02.JPG

John Love

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

John

Would you please clarify what you mean by prototype. I took you to mean the precursor to the production model that's now available commercially. Are you instead referring to a prototype for a new commercial model that will be released at some point in the future?

In post 20, you mention it has F3.8, while the NES8-CF specs indicate F3.9 so it seemed there might be an update in the works to be released at F3.8.

Gary

#30 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 April 2019 - 05:54 PM

John

Would you please clarify what you mean by prototype. I took you to mean the precursor to the production model that's now available commercially. Are you instead referring to a prototype for a new commercial model that will be released at some point in the future?

In post 20, you mention it has F3.8, while the NES8-CF specs indicate F3.9 so it seemed there might be an update in the works to be released at F3.8.

Gary

My ES N8CF is a prototype of the version currently selling now.  It is 208 mm F3.8 but the production version ended up F3.9.  I got it from a friend who tested it for ES as they were developing the product and he installed the upgraded spider.   I am curious if there will be a new version in the future.  I would love to have a 10".

ES8-AP900 at CBSP_09.JPG

John Love

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

• wcoastsands likes this

#31 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 April 2019 - 05:57 PM

My ES N8CF is a prototype of the version currently selling now.  It is 208 mm F3.8 but the production version ended up F3.9.  I got it from a friend who tested it for ES as they were developing the product and he installed the upgraded spider.   I am curious if there will be a new version in the future.  I would love to have a 10".

attachicon.gif ES8-AP900 at CBSP_09.JPG

John Love

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

Thanks John. I had planned on buying a 10" TS scope, which specs out a bit better than this one, but the weight and length seems too much for my iOptron AZ Pro mount. 

#32 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 April 2019 - 06:00 PM

attachicon.gif ES8-AP900 at CBSP_09.JPG

John Love

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

John...also, what mount do you have in the photo? It looks like a permanent pier mount. If you're leaving the scope on the mount year round, which shroud are you using...?

thanks

Gary

#33 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 April 2019 - 06:09 PM

John...also, what mount do you have in the photo? It looks like a permanent pier mount. If you're leaving the scope on the mount year round, which shroud are you using...?

thanks

Gary

I have an Astro Physic AP900GTO on a portable pier.  When I go out for long imaging trips my SkyBox has a roof I can put on if needed and I put an Astro Systems cover over it as well.  I don't leave it out all the time but if I did I would use the Tele Gizmos 365 cover.  I hear they are the best.

ES8-AP900 at CBSP_07.JPG

SB-8x12-01-sm.jpg

SkyBox with ES 127ED on an AP900GTO on an old C14 HD tripod.

John Love

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

Edited by CCD-Freak, 12 April 2019 - 06:34 PM.

• GaryShaw and wcoastsands like this

#34 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 April 2019 - 11:39 PM

Very nice digs for you and the scopes John.

Somehow, I think you’ve been doing this for a while now. 

Cheers,

Gary

• CCD-Freak likes this

#35 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:43 AM

Very nice digs for you and the scopes John.

Somehow, I think you’ve been doing this for a while now. 

Cheers,

Gary

Thanks....My setup has been evolving over the years and since I finally got to retire I have more time to go out (weather permitting).  I am a self proclaimed "Dark Sky Junkie" so I like to be able to go out to a dark site and stay for multiple nights.  The SkyBox and the Moonlight Manor have made my life in the boondocks way more comfortable. (^8    I am heading to western New Mexico in a couple of weeks.

SkyBox and Moonlight Manor at TSP.JPG

Edited by CCD-Freak, 14 April 2019 - 08:45 AM.

• jpbutler and wcoastsands like this

#36 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:38 PM

Thanks....My setup has been evolving over the years and since I finally got to retire I have more time to go out (weather permitting).  I am a self proclaimed "Dark Sky Junkie" so I like to be able to go out to a dark site and stay for multiple nights.  The SkyBox and the Moonlight Manor have made my life in the boondocks way more comfortable. (^8    I am heading to western New Mexico in a couple of weeks.

attachicon.gif SkyBox and Moonlight Manor at TSP.JPG

John...one last question: how long does it take to set up or break down the skybox? I presume the parts store mainly in the truck. 

Safe travels to NM!

G

• CCD-Freak likes this

#37 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:09 PM

John...one last question: how long does it take to set up or break down the skybox? I presume the parts store mainly in the truck. 

Safe travels to NM!

G

It takes me about 30 minutes working at an easy pace to assemble the SkyBox.  Yes the parts travel in the back of my pickup. Since it blocks wind and stray light it is the difference many nights between imaging or going to bed.  

Venus over Fort Griffin.JPG

John Love

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

• wcoastsands likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EAA, equipment, observing, reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics