•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My original Meade ETX 90 needs work

Meade
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 twjs

twjs

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NWNJ

Posted 09 April 2019 - 08:21 AM

As stated it's the original OTA and base. The internal drive is shot and the corrector has moved from it's original placement due to the  sticky bit losing it's stickiness. Meade won't rebuild it due to it's age but will give me $150 towards the new ETX 90. However I'm not impressed AT ALL with Meades plastic products these days. So can anyone recommend a guy or gal that can refurb this sucker? 

TIA

#2 KarlL

KarlL

Apollo

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 09 April 2019 - 09:31 AM

Sell it as-is & buy a used unit. They are plentiful.

#3 JohnnyBGood

JohnnyBGood

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Panama City Beach, FL

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:57 AM

When you say the corrector has moved I assume you mean the baffle that is stuck to the shiny spot. That part is pretty easy to fix, and if you do a search for "ETX 90 baffle fix" you should find some directions. My advice is that when epoxying the baffle back into place use incredibly tiny drops on the baffle. Otherwise you end up like me (and I thoughjt my drops *were* small!) and having glue ooze out from under the thing all over the mirror spot and panicking and frantically trying to pull the baffle back off and cleaning up the epoxy with alcohol before it sets and ruins your mirror. Mercifully it all cleaned up and no harm seems to have been done to the mirror spot, or at least not enough that I can tell any difference using the scope.

Repairing the drive is beyond me, I'm afraid. Fortunately, it's not hard to de-fork the scope and use it on a conventional EQ mount, so that's always one back up option if you want to keep the lovable little scope.

#4 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:34 AM

It's the Lord's way of telling you time for a 90 to 100 mm apo or even a c8. Go forth and prosper.
  • bbqediguana likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Meade

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics