•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

IS PROTOSTAR STILL IN BUSINESS or GO DIRECTLY TO ANTARES?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 09 April 2019 - 06:35 PM

I just checked and the Protostar Website is still up and running. The question is, are they defunct or are they still in business? And if they are in business, are they reliable and safe to deal with and order from? 

Why would the Website still be up if they are no longer in business? Please let me know if anyone has had any recent dealings with Protostar and what was the outcome?

Thanks for you patience and input.

RalphMeisterTigerMan

#2 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 09 April 2019 - 06:39 PM

How patient are you?
  • otocycle likes this

#3 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Soyuz

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 09 April 2019 - 07:58 PM

Agree with coopman above.  Are you having issues ordering stuff?

IMHO - If you can get your stuff someplace else do so.

#4 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Apollo

• Loc: MD

Posted 09 April 2019 - 08:05 PM

Sounds like people are seeing long delays for the stuff they make in-house...  Hit and miss...

https://www.cloudyni...ar-did-it-again

https://www.cloudyni...-service-issues

#5 Tom Dugan

Tom Dugan

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Tidewater Maryland

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:30 AM

I bought several feet of flockboard direct from Protostar in early February and it was delivered in about a week. Your mileage, as always, may vary.

#6 Bunkybayonet

Bunkybayonet

Lift Off

Posted 10 April 2019 - 12:10 PM

I emailed Bryan in February asking him if he was still doing business. He replied that he is still in business and stated that he has caught up with his backlog and able to full fill current orders in a timely manner.

Bill

#7 starcanoe

starcanoe

Vanguard

• Loc: Gulf Coast, Panhandle of Florida

Posted 10 April 2019 - 12:13 PM

LOL

• Jim Waters likes this

#8 Steve Dodds

Steve Dodds

Owner - Nova Optical

• Vendors
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 10 April 2019 - 12:30 PM

If you believe that Iv'e got a bridge to sell you.

#9 GShaffer

GShaffer

Knight of Ni

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bogart, Ga USA

Posted 10 April 2019 - 12:33 PM

Caution URGED.....as in risk your $$ if you want to, I wont be......

#10 pstarr

pstarr

Skylab

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 10 April 2019 - 12:53 PM

It depends on what your definition of in business is.

#11 starcanoe

starcanoe

Vanguard

Posted 10 April 2019 - 01:05 PM

The only way I would order something from them is...I order it (on a credit card)....do my project....when everything ELSE is finished....and they still haven't delivered...I go to plan B...finish the project...cancel the order...and if there is trouble I let the credit card company deal with it.st 

Don't get me wrong....I am one of the most patient folks when it comes to small businesses....one man operations....stuff happens...stuff gets delayed....stuff falls through the cracks....some customers are never happy...actually important life stuff takes priority...yadda yadda yadda...

But from my limited (and not good) experience...and probably reading enough stuff here on CN to fill a day or two....

Protostar has not only burned their customer bridge....they took the bridge apart....piled it up...added thermite...burned that sucker....took the ashes and launched those into orbit ...at a solar system escape velocity....then nuked the site from orbit...twice just to be sure....then paved it over and made a strip mall...then nuked it from orbit again.....rinse and repeat....then got Thanos to snap his fingers just to be sure....then got Meuller to investigate...with a positive bad news results....then got both political parties to agree this was not right....then got cats and dogs to agree to live in harmony...

• Jim Waters and GShaffer like this

#12 GShaffer

GShaffer

Knight of Ni

• Moderators

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:31 PM

If you have a story best tell it quick because like past topics about this business it wont stay open much longer.....

• Jim Waters, airbleeder and iwannabswiss like this

#13 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Apollo

• Loc: MD

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:03 PM

Kinda reminds me of when Cave Optical was slowly going under 45-50 yrs ago.  The guy who ran it was sick or something.  Well intentioned, but couldnt keep up with orders.   (Long before internet or social media.)  Stuff happens...

#14 dhferguson

dhferguson

Vostok 1

• Loc: Pleasanton, CA

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:08 PM

Cheers,

I too ordered from Protostar, in my case flock board and a telescope end cap. Both came promptly. I ordered another telescope end cap a few months later and Bryan promptly emailed me that they were out of stock.

No complaints here.

Happy observing always,

Don

#15 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:10 PM

Hey StarCanoe, do not mince words and stop beating around the bush. What are you really saying? That perhaps Protostar is not exactly on the up and up. That they are not really an honest and reputable manufacturer?

Hmmm...I will have to ponder all that I have read! I may have to re-evaluate my decision about possible patronage with this particular astro dealer.

Signed, couldn't-have-made-it-any-clearer? RalphMeisterTigerMan

#16 GShaffer

GShaffer

Knight of Ni

• Moderators

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:54 PM

Hey StarCanoe, do not mince words and stop beating around the bush. What are you really saying? That perhaps Protostar is not exactly on the up and up. That they are not really an honest and reputable manufacturer?

Hmmm...I will have to ponder all that I have read! I may have to re-evaluate my decision about possible patronage with this particular astro dealer.

Signed, couldn't-have-made-it-any-clearer? RalphMeisterTigerMan

Do a search for Protostar in this forum and the reflectors forum as well probably.....you will quickly understand the concerns :)

#17 starcanoe

starcanoe

Vanguard

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:56 PM

When you send multiple emails to a business...and they NEVER reply...and I'm not talking within about 6 hours (Gen XYZ I'm looking at you)...and there are folks that report NEVER getting XYZ despite be CHARGED for it (not ME but ahem)....well, yeah...not going to those folks EVAR unless they either fess up that some seriously bad stuff was going down. (my serious condolences)...they dropped the ball a gazillion times...or gawd knows what else...

They better have unicorn farts that no body else can sell period....and at a discount for that matter....and I pay when they actually arrive at my door...

PS...buy some JoAnns "black felt ABC"...some spray on adhesive...some posterboard of the appropriate thickness....do some work...and call it a day...

#18 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Skylab

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 22 April 2019 - 03:13 AM

The first time I ordered Flockboard I had it a week later. The second time I ordered it I went through six months of pain and never received anything. Protostar are a complete joke. Avoid them at all costs.

#19 airbleeder

airbleeder

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Powder Springs, Georgia

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:20 AM

Although I had nothing but a good experience with my one order from Protostar, I would have to think twice before I tried my luck with them again. 

#20 Chemisttree

Chemisttree

Explorer 1

• Loc: San Antonio, TX

Posted 01 May 2019 - 10:09 PM

I’m a two time winner with Protostar.  Great service!

I feel so special....

C-

• airbleeder likes this

#21 SchrödingersCat

SchrödingersCat

Messenger

Posted 12 May 2019 - 11:05 AM

I have a tube newt project that has been on hiatus due to the lack of what I deem a suitable spider. I prefer three straight vanes.

I have had issues in the past with Protostar where a delivery was not made in a reasonable time. I had used paypal and that imposes it's own set of time constraints with respect to buyer protection. On a lark, I placed an order with Protostar using a CC.

I had issues during the checkout process (which could have been caused by my old computer which has had various web navigation issues). Protostar reached out to me a short time later via email and followed up with a call. I received my spider and secondary holder a week later.

I'll admit that I had my doubts about how this would turn out but am ecstatic to see that Protostar got this one right and thought that it's worth sharing with the community.

• eros312 likes this

#22 Lister85

Lister85

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 October 2019 - 02:46 PM

FWIW: I ordered flockboard from Protostar on Friday. I got a tracking number within a few hours, and received my flockboard yesterday. The only thing I'm waiting on now is to install it.

I know it's completely anecdotal, but my first purchase with Protostar was as good as any I've made with Amazon.

• eros312 and airbleeder like this

#23 Steve Dodds

Steve Dodds

Owner - Nova Optical

• Vendors
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 01 October 2019 - 04:05 PM

Maybe Protostar has gotten better, over the last few years there have been horror stories.

• Lister85 likes this

#24 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 01 October 2019 - 04:17 PM

Maybe Protostar has gotten better, over the last few years there have been horror stories.

This is my understanding:

Bryan Greer has a real job, I believe he's an engineer. Protostar is an after hours show. Spiders and such he makes himself as time permits.

A few years ago he got way behind in his builds and finally stopped taking orders until he was able to get caught up.

Jon

• Lister85 likes this

#25 FocusTech

FocusTech

Lift Off

Posted 02 October 2019 - 07:58 AM

For what it's worth, I've recently placed 2 orders with protostar, one for flockboard and one for adhesive backed flock paper. On both occasions I received my orders in about a week.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics