•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

IS PROTOSTAR STILL IN BUSINESS or GO DIRECTLY TO ANTARES?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#26 astrobeast

astrobeast

Mariner 2

• Loc: Milford, CT

Posted 03 October 2019 - 05:10 PM

Does anyone know of another source for 3-vane spiders. All the others I've found are 4-vane.

Thanks

#27 elrod

elrod

Sputnik

• Loc: Florida west coast

Posted 17 January 2020 - 07:15 PM

Noooooo! Not ever, just Nooooo...........

• jtsenghas likes this

#28 MitchAlsup

MitchAlsup

Skylab

• -----

Posted 17 January 2020 - 09:12 PM

Does anyone know of another source for 3-vane spiders. All the others I've found are 4-vane.

>- 3 vane spiders cannot eliminate the radial rocking vibration that

>-< 4-vane spiders can, but

>< 4 vane spiders cannot either.

#29 danmdak

danmdak

Messenger

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 19 January 2020 - 10:36 AM

Just ordered from them maybe 2 months ago. Item delivered less than a week after placing the online order.

• Pinbout likes this

#30 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 19 January 2020 - 06:13 PM

Try Antares Optics or Terry Ostahowski for secondary mirrors.

• Calypte and Augustus like this

#31 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 April 2020 - 09:15 AM

I just ordered some flock board from Proto Star, and it was delivered yesterday.  I didn't ask about secondary mirrors.

#32 SchrödingersCat

SchrödingersCat

Messenger

Posted 11 April 2020 - 09:19 AM

I placed another order for flocking last week and received it within days.

#33 grzesznypl

grzesznypl

Messenger

• Loc: Jackson Heights, NY ... for now

Posted 11 April 2020 - 01:17 PM

Seems that Protostar problems is the thing of the past. I order from them May 20 last year and had a very positive experience and most reviews I read from past year are very positive as well. Unfortunately that negative stigma (Jon gave explanation in post #24 ) is still attached to it, and it will take some time to get rid of it. I would order from them again and would recommend but it is me and base on my experience.

Come on guys, we all do mistakes and we all get second chance.

• careysub likes this

#34 GShaffer

GShaffer

Knight of Ni

• Administrators
  • Loc: Winder, Ga USA

Posted 11 April 2020 - 01:33 PM

Nothing to date has indicated that the issues with Protostar  do not still depend on what you actually order......were I needing flockboard I would probably consider an order but fortunately I make my own when needed.  Protostar would be well served by updating their website to indicate what is actually available in a reasonable time frame and certainly stop accepting orders and $$ for what is not available.

• Mike I. Jones and Augustus like this

#35 Steve Dodds

Steve Dodds

Owner - Nova Optical

• Vendors
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 11 April 2020 - 02:23 PM

After years of not shipping anything and not returning emails or refunds, I would need to see years of good service before I would take a chance.

• CyberCat and Augustus like this

#36 SchrödingersCat

SchrödingersCat

Messenger

Posted 11 April 2020 - 02:57 PM

If you use a credit card the only thing you risk is a bit of your time. Considering that they offer unique products not available elsewhere it was a chance I was willing to take.

Edited by SchrödingersCat, 11 April 2020 - 02:57 PM.

#37 a__l

a__l

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 11 April 2020 - 05:38 PM

Try Antares Optics or Terry Ostahowski for secondary mirrors.

Terry now does not undertake the manufacture of small mirrors. The exception is quartz.

#38 Macguyver909

Macguyver909

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: North West,WI

Posted 11 April 2020 - 08:45 PM

I have ordered flock-board from them recently and the experience was positive. Shipped quickly. 

#39 seryddwr

seryddwr

Innocent Bystander

• Loc: Arrakis

Posted 12 April 2020 - 01:14 AM

After years of not shipping anything and not returning emails or refunds, I would need to see years of good service before I would take a chance.

+ 1

• CyberCat likes this

#40 steve t

steve t

Viking 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 15 April 2020 - 02:46 PM

FWIW, the following is a summary of my recent experience with Protostar from a couple of months ago. 

(Disclaimer: I have no connection with or interest in Protostar) 

- Called Protostar and left a message regarding a replacement part for an old spider assembly.

- Bryan returned my call within a couple of hours and we had a nice discussion. He described updates made to the design, materials and manufacturing processes to the spider/diagonal mount assemblies.

- I placed an order for two new style spider/diagonal assemblies that afternoon.

- My order arrived within a week.

- Had a small problem with the length of the 1/4 - 20 shaft, that connects the spider to the diagonal mount, being a little too short to be a drop-in replacement for the old style Protostar assembly.

- Called Bryan and again he returned my call within an hour.

- I had the replacement parts two days later.

Overall I've been very pleased with Protostar's customer service and the new updated spider/diagonal assemblies.

Steve T

Edited by steve t, 15 April 2020 - 02:48 PM.

• careysub and BradFran like this

#41 Muleskinner115

Muleskinner115

Vostok 1

Posted 16 April 2020 - 09:32 AM

I am using one of the new Protostar assemblies and it is fantastic. Collimation is a breeze.  I can’t say enough good about their product!

Tim

#42 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 April 2020 - 01:39 PM

I also ordered flock board and received my shipment in a few days.  I posted to some of the other Proto Star threads, but missed this one.

I'm glad they are still making their secondary mirror holders.  I like their flexible shaft design, too.

While trading e-mails with Brian (a bit of caution on my part, since I hadn't seen any posts since the tough times started a couple of years ago), I found out they don't offer the BlackLite OTA tubes anymore.  Sad to hear, they were great.  According to Brian, it cost as much to ship them as it did to sell them.  

#43 astrobeast

astrobeast

Mariner 2

• Loc: Milford, CT

Posted 19 April 2020 - 07:41 AM

I ordered a 3-vane spider and secondary holder about a month and a half ago. The order was acknowledged promptly and the item delivered shortly thereafter (don't recall exactly how long but a time frame anyone would find completely acceptable). So thumbs up on this end.

R

#44 crixt

crixt

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: St. Pete, FL

Posted 18 June 2020 - 07:45 PM

I recently got a 4 vane spider and secondary drop in for an XT10. Zero issues. Previously ordered a flocked tube liner for the XT10 (it’s an actual tube that slides in) and flock-board for a refractor project. Zero issues on every transaction. I just ask for an estimated delivery time and it’s always been on time. YMMV. 

#45 Steve Dodds

Steve Dodds

Owner - Nova Optical

• Vendors
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 18 June 2020 - 07:57 PM

I recently got a 4 vane spider and secondary drop in for an XT10. Zero issues. Previously ordered a flocked tube liner for the XT10 (it’s an actual tube that slides in) and flock-board for a refractor project. Zero issues on every transaction. I just ask for an estimated delivery time and it’s always been on time. YMMV. 

That is a completely different story than what I have been seeing for the last 4-5 years,.  I'm going to need to see a couple more years of good service before I risk it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics