•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mounting 65mm guidescope on 190mm Mak-Newt

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vanc0051

vanc0051

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Minneapolis

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:01 PM

Hello-

I want to start autoguiding and was considering mounting my AT65EDQ (6 lbs) as a guidescope on my 190 Mak-Newt (29 lbs with accessories) while using an EQ6-R Pro Mount (44 lbs weight capacity).

What would be the best way to mount this 65mm refractor as a guidescope?  

Any equipment suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Will

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:01 PM

That's a fairly heavy guidescope.  One thing you do _not_ want to do is use the finder shoe.

Are there two threaded holes on top of the scope rings?  The basic idea is to bolt a long something to those, then fasten two rings for the guidescope to the long something.  The twp mounting points, widely spaced, make for a rigid system.

This guy has everything you could want.  Pricey, but quality.  There are no doubt cheaper alternatives.  Here's just a bit of his stuff, not everything you'll need.

https://www.admacces...-dovetail-ring/

Edited by bobzeq25, 09 April 2019 - 11:03 PM.

• vanc0051 likes this

#3 Eric Seavey

Eric Seavey

Viking 1

• Loc: Irvine, California

Posted 10 April 2019 - 01:07 AM

I am wondering why you are using such a nice imaging scope as a guide scope.  I've been using the cheap Astromania 50mm with great success with my Mak-Newt.

#4 rkayakr

rkayakr

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 10 April 2019 - 10:31 AM

Here is my SV60 om my MN190. I added a top dovetail bar which is a good idea for stiffness anyway. The scope is carried by adjustable rings on dovetail shoes. If I did it again I'd skip the 3 point adjustments. They are not needed with modern, sensitive guide cameras and they can cause drift if not continually tightened.

SV60MountS.jpg

• bobzeq25 and vanc0051 like this

#5 vanc0051

vanc0051

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Minneapolis

Posted 10 April 2019 - 11:55 AM

I am wondering why you are using such a nice imaging scope as a guide scope.  I've been using the cheap Astromania 50mm with great success with my Mak-Newt.

I thought of using my Mak-Newt as a primary imaging scope.  However, if I needed wider field images, I could possibly switch the roles of both scopes thus making the Mak-Newt the guidescope and the AT65EDQ the imaging scope.

• elmiko likes this

#6 Eric Seavey

Eric Seavey

Viking 1

• Loc: Irvine, California

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:15 PM

I thought of using my Mak-Newt as a primary imaging scope.  However, if I needed wider field images, I could possibly switch the roles of both scopes thus making the Mak-Newt the guidescope and the AT65EDQ the imaging scope.

I see, I have a friend who does that with a Celestron C8 and a refractor with decent success.  I am not sure what is easier, switching cameras, refocusing both and changing PHD settings or what I do is just swapping imaging scopes and the cameras, refocus, and plop the autoguider system on the imaging scope and no PHD 2 recalibration needed.

I actually use the autoguider system for the polar alignment in Sharpcap, and use it to find bright stars during the 3-star alignment.

Edited by Eric Seavey, 10 April 2019 - 06:16 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics