•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I thought i had issues... NEAF 2019

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 AntMan1

AntMan1

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NY

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:13 PM

I don't think i have ever met a more dysfunctional group of people in my entire life then at NEAF this year. I though i had some issues lol this place was an armchairs psychiatrist dream come true. Why on earth would you send employees that can't talk more then three word to an event like this? The worst was the rep from one of the biggest focuser brands out here. Could not look you in the eye and talked to the floor when you spoke to him .  I need to exit society and move to the desert i am ******* done with the human race.

Just to be fair it was not all but about 40% of the vendors who don't have any people skills at all. what a bunch of head cases! Done!

• Sol Robbins and agmoonsolns like this

#2 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• Loc: Piccolomini Observatory

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:22 PM

It would not surprise me if the amateur astronomy community had a higher prorportion of introversion and shyness than the general population. Personally speaking, I doubt I'd do well at a crowded noisy venue like I imagine NEAF to be, but I would try to brave it to meet some CNers...
  • Jon Isaacs, Doug Culbertson, George N and 13 others like this

#3 bridgman

bridgman

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mosport, ON, Canada

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:46 PM

I didn't have a chance to attend so can only ask questions - did you find them knowledgeable when you did get words out of them ?

If I had a choice between bright/knowledgable but people-challenged -or- polished but clueless I would lean towards the first group for an amateur astronomer's show, figuring that once they got past being nervous their interest in astronomy would come out to play.

You might have been talking to the company owners... the skill set to make and sell cool products isn't necessarily the same one you need to stand in a brightly lit booth with a crowd of people... I started a small company designing & building graphics cards and still remember how long it took before I was comfortable doing booth duty... but if I didn't do it then the booth was empty.

Edited by bridgman, 09 April 2019 - 11:17 PM.

• Jon Isaacs, George N, psandelle and 4 others like this

#4 TikiTom

TikiTom

Viking 1

• Loc: South Central, WI

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:52 PM

just my opinion, not trying to defend anyone (or not) but most of us amateur astronomers:

sit outside,

all by ourselves,

in the dark,

in a totally quiet area,

for hours at a time,

some all night long,

or in a small quiet, shop or garage answering the occasional phone call.....

then get tossed into a big convention full of people that want to talk & talk & talk,

now give that some thought....

• Jon Isaacs, DeanS, George N and 7 others like this

#5 Traveler

Traveler

Gemini

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:56 PM

I don't think i have ever met a more dysfunctional group of people in my entire life then at NEAF this year. I though i had some issues lol this place was an armchairs psychiatrist dream come true. Why on earth would you send employees that can't talk more then three word to an event like this? The worst was the rep from one of the biggest focuser brands out here. Could not look you in the eye and talked to the floor when you spoke to him .  I need to exit society and move to the desert i am ******* done with the human race.

Just to be fair it was not all but about 40% of the vendors who don't have any people skills at all. what a bunch of head cases! Done!

Nice observation! Reading this gave me a big smile...on my face. You are not alone in thinking about this  ;-)

Edited by Traveler, 09 April 2019 - 11:04 PM.

• AntMan1 likes this

#6 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Apollo

• Loc: MD

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:14 PM

Hahaha employee**s**??  Probably you were talking to the guy that runs the CNC mill, answers the phone, takes orders, does shipping, runs the web site, sweeps the floor, and was bone tired besides....  Oh well...

• George N, Phil Cowell, RedLionNJ and 2 others like this

#7 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:24 PM

Well, it is what it is and NEAF is a great place to see what equipment is out there. These aren't Madison Avenue Marketeers, just technical equipment experts, generally right there, displaying their own concoctions. And... that can be a good thing! PS: Actually, most of the vendors also have decent communication skills. Most of us attend NEAF to examine equipment offerings, not to get stroked by glitzy sales reps.    Tom

What is Madison Avenue mentality?
Madison Avenue mentality. A way of viewing the world according to which people are more concerned about how things appear to others than how they really are – that is, the appearance of doing the right thing matters more than the actual behavior.

• Jon Isaacs, George N, psandelle and 2 others like this

#8 AntMan1

AntMan1

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:28 PM

Look me in the **** eyes if i am handing you eight hundred dollars for a focuser. Wait till the owner hears my rant.....   headcases. 

Edited by AntMan1, 09 April 2019 - 11:29 PM.

#9 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, NY

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:30 PM

poke.gif  My eyes would be rolling if I saw someone buy an eight hundred dollar focuser.

(I don't have that much to spend.)

• Mark Harry, AntMan1 and jim kuhns like this

#10 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:42 PM

I think if you are a AP person and only went to NEAF you've mostly wasted your trip. I attended the Thursday and Friday NEAIC conference then NEAF and learned a great deal, made some friendships and all in all had a very good experience. Meeting and listening to people like John Hayes, Adam Block, and Donald Pettit plus others made the trip well worth it for me. 

Edited by scadvice, 09 April 2019 - 11:43 PM.

• Bob Moore and George N like this

#11 NYSky

NYSky

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: upstate New York

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:48 PM

Q: What’s the difference between an introverted astronomer and an extroverted one?

A: an introverted astronomer looks at his shoes while he’s talking to you.  An extroverted astronomer looks at YOUR shoes.

grin.gif

• Starman1, Jon Isaacs, Vesper818 and 24 others like this

#12 AntMan1

AntMan1

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:51 PM

Q: What’s the difference between an introverted astronomer and an extroverted one?

A: an introverted astronomer looks at his shoes while he’s talking to you.  An extroverted astronomer looks at YOUR shoes.

grin.gif

Thank you for this... I needed it! help.gif

• jim kuhns likes this

#13 bridgman

bridgman

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 April 2019 - 12:06 AM

Hahaha employee**s**??  Probably you were talking to the guy that runs the CNC mill, answers the phone, takes orders, does shipping, runs the web site, sweeps the floor, and was bone tired besides....  Oh well...

Yep. Pity the forum SW only let me like this once...

#14 AntMan1

AntMan1

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 April 2019 - 12:14 AM

poke.gif  My eyes would be rolling if I saw someone buy an eight hundred dollar focuser.

(I don't have that much to spend.)

I felt the same way for a year and a half while i fought with sub par stars. No matter what i did i could not get round stars. Tonight i have round stars for the first time in the money pit of a hobby. Bittersweet moment.

#15 futuneral

futuneral

Apollo

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 10 April 2019 - 12:56 AM

Look me in the **** eyes if i am handing you eight hundred dollars for a focuser. Wait till the owner hears my rant.....   headcases. 

TBH, you have the money, he has the stuff. No one owes you a look in the eye.

• psandelle, gnowellsct, Astrola72 and 1 other like this

#16 bridgman

bridgman

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:07 AM

TBH, you have the money, he has the stuff. No one owes you a look in the eye.

Deleted... I quoted the wrong post and I'm still having trouble making my written response as funny as what I was thinking. Nothing to see here.

Edited by bridgman, 10 April 2019 - 05:04 PM.

#17 Conaxian

Conaxian

Ranger 4

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:37 AM

I understand your point, Antman. I had a supervisor in an automation machine company that was like some of those company reps. He appeared to dislike me for months, but when time came for evaluations and raises, he got me a nice raise, acknowledged my results, thanked me for my effort and was very positive.  When he was lost in thought or concerned about some problem, however, he was rude, obtuse, yet shy and nervous, avoiding contact and generally a pain.  It was just as though he was afraid of me.  I still greeted him in a friendly way whenever.

Anyway, that company sent him to trade shows. The owner knew less about the product line than he did, and well, he's the boss and does what he wants. I had to go as a tech, set up the demos and run them, fix anything that broke.

He got less questions than I did.  I wasn't authorized to discuss prices or mods or repairs with them.  It was a loong weekend. 

Take it easy on the reps, they are just not the people type. Owners should really send salesmen, who are comfortable and enthusiastic with people.

• AntMan1 likes this

#18 Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:41 AM

Wow it sounds like heaven to me. A bunch of high end equipment all in one place, probably a few passionate the night sky and technology and most of them quiet? My kind of place!

• Starman1, Jon Isaacs, csa/montana and 11 others like this

#19 kksmith

kksmith

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Montana

Posted 10 April 2019 - 05:08 AM

Maybe the individual felt a little embarrassed because he sold you an $800 focuser and he knows exactly just how over priced it actually is compared to how much it actually cost to make them. There are some employees that actually feel guilty in those situations - guilt will silence the tongue and it will definitely squelch eye contact.

On second thought, what did you expect at NEAF? Sounds like an anal nerd rich environment to me. Sheldons all over the place.

Ken

Edited by kksmith, 10 April 2019 - 05:18 AM.

• AntMan1 and Earthbound1 like this

#20 cptbobrfh

cptbobrfh

Ranger 4

• Loc: Walden N.Y.

Posted 10 April 2019 - 05:49 AM

I handed the owner the money for a new saddle on my mount,and his employee said30 seconds later,"are you gonna pay for that"? He was supposed to be paying attention,but obviously not. He looked at me when he said this like I was trying to get away without paying. Really? He needed to lighten up and say he was sorry,but he didnt.I was really angry, but quickly moved on.

• kksmith likes this

#21 kksmith

kksmith

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Montana

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:07 AM

Wonder what the loss (theft) rate is for a goat rope like this. 

Ken

#22 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:03 AM

I worked there one year, helping a young guy who built mounts for a few years.  The place is indeed ...well, used to be called shy, or introverted, nowadays, because everything has to have a medical diagnosis, it's called 'Asperger Syndrome'....

but, not only do most of the vendors look at their shoes while talking, so do most of the customers!  And, half the room has IQ's over 175, and total inability to make sentences more than five words long that don't have a calculus equation in them..... and there are 2000 people in the room, it's overwhelming! 

• Jon Isaacs, Vesper818, AntMan1 and 7 others like this

#23 starcanoe

starcanoe

Vanguard

• Loc: Gulf Coast, Panhandle of Florida

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:15 AM

Maybe he averted his vision because he was afraid you'd mess it up....and then he would have to eat ramen noodles for the next month to make up for the financial loss...

• AntMan1 and roscoe like this

#24 chris3c273chris

chris3c273chris

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:21 AM

Look me in the **** eyes if i am handing you eight hundred dollars for a focuser. Wait till the owner hears my rant..... headcases.

Would you pay more so they could hire a sales pro for the booth?
  • davidpitre and psandelle like this

#25 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:23 AM

Well... let's see, let's see... it takes all kinds...

Sociology is a complex topic. And I've always been a people-watcher, notice and try to interpret all kinds of skills and foibles:

>the job applicant, in for an interview... who has superior technical skills and accomplishments, but is obviously nervous and shrinking violet.

>the young Job Applicant who keeps telling me how great he is, but seems technically-weak, even delusional.

>the symposium scientist presenting a paper and terribly uncomfortable, awkward.

>the (rare) presenter who is seamlessly smooth, knowledgeable, engaging, enthusiastic, articulate, personable... mesmerizing!

>the next-in-line at the check-out who leaves ten feet twixt self and the person in front.

>the customer behind who keeps pushing their cart into the person in front.

>the over-polite driver at an intersection, waiving cars thru, although he obviously has the right of way.... (confusing, even dangerous)...

And... then there's this perplexing personality flaw, Antsy... >>>

>the person who gets hoity-toity, juts because he might drop some dough on hobby gear... expecting the vendor to kiss his arse for the privilege of watching him pawing their wares.    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 96 Sales Rep Tip Irate Customer.jpg

• PXR-5, psandelle and roscoe like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics