•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I thought i had issues... NEAF 2019

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#26 epee

epee

Gemini

• Loc: Suh-van-nuh, Jaw-juh

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:23 AM

Look me in the **** eyes if i am handing you eight hundred dollars for a focuser. Wait till the owner hears my rant.....   headcases. 

If you were handing me $800 I'd look at the money.

**** your eyes!wink.gif lol.gif

Edited by epee, 10 April 2019 - 08:24 AM.

• Mark Harry, George N, psandelle and 4 others like this

#27 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 10 April 2019 - 10:06 AM

And, following in Tom's thoughts, I have found that 3/4 of the time, the louder a person talks, the less they know about the subject at hand.

and, another observation:  Back in the day, I ran the maintenance crew at a conference center, which hosted some very well-known philosophers and activists and healers.  One Sunday, after the guests had cleared out, and the leader, a person I guarantee you have heard of, was sitting in the dining room, sipping a beer, de-compressing, and chatting with a couple of us who worked there.  He spoke very thankfully to us, saying that he was well-aware of where the meals came from, and so I asked him if he had any idea why people were so disdainful of tradespeople, be they cooks or carpenters.....  He thought for a minute, and said: 'It's because you folks run the planet, all of us in $300 suits couldn't survive without you, and we know it deep in our souls, and that scares us, and so we hate you because we are scared that you are smarter than we are.

• davidpitre, George N, AntMan1 and 5 others like this

#28 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Posted 10 April 2019 - 10:39 AM

I think a lot of us are pretty introverted in real life, but "chatty" on Cloudy Nights. If you go to an auto show the engineers just stand around and talk amongst themselves and they hire spokespeople to do the unveiling of vehicles and talk through the specs. Sometimes the CEO's do it, but most of them aren't car guys but rather marketing people. People that make handmade items are either engineers, artists or machinists. Most engineers, artists and machinists aren't too chatty from my experience. It really takes a different type of person to talk something up. Most engineers and machinists are more on the "proof is in the pudding"/Let it speak for itself

Jon

Edited by Spacefreak1974, 10 April 2019 - 01:59 PM.

• AntMan1, psandelle, roscoe and 5 others like this

#29 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 10 April 2019 - 11:28 AM

Hahaha employee**s**??  Probably you were talking to the guy that runs the CNC mill, answers the phone, takes orders, does shipping, runs the web site, sweeps the floor, and was bone tired besides....  Oh well...

You mean the owner right? (If you have ever owned a business you will get this)

• Starman1, George N, Joe F Gafford and 6 others like this

#30 AntMan1

AntMan1

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NY

Posted 10 April 2019 - 12:44 PM

If you were handing me $800 I'd look at the money.

**** your eyes!wink.gif lol.gif

Laughing my **** off! Now that is my kind of humor! Made my afternoon!

• George N likes this

#31 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Apollo

• Loc: MD

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:36 PM

You mean the owner right? (If you have ever owned a business you will get this)

waytogo.gif

#32 pao

pao

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:56 PM

I really don’t understand this thread...scratchhead2.gif scratchhead2.gif

• Spacefreak1974 likes this

#33 kkt

kkt

Vanguard

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 10 April 2019 - 04:17 PM

And, following in Tom's thoughts, I have found that 3/4 of the time, the louder a person talks, the less they know about the subject at hand.

and, another observation:  Back in the day, I ran the maintenance crew at a conference center, which hosted some very well-known philosophers and activists and healers.  One Sunday, after the guests had cleared out, and the leader, a person I guarantee you have heard of, was sitting in the dining room, sipping a beer, de-compressing, and chatting with a couple of us who worked there.  He spoke very thankfully to us, saying that he was well-aware of where the meals came from, and so I asked him if he had any idea why people were so disdainful of tradespeople, be they cooks or carpenters.....  He thought for a minute, and said: 'It's because you folks run the planet, all of us in $300 suits couldn't survive without you, and we know it deep in our souls, and that scares us, and so we hate you because we are scared that you are smarter than we are.

Eh.  That just means the guy in the $3000 suit knows how to get the working stiffs on his side.

• gnowellsct and starcanoe like this

#34 Eric H

Eric H

Viking 1

• Loc: Washougal, WA

Posted 10 April 2019 - 05:15 PM

I'm just curious why anyone would listen to what a philosopher, activist or healer would have to say. Just kiddin'

#35 AntMan1

AntMan1

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:15 PM

Lots of interesting views here. I am far from mr sociable, but at least make it a point to have some people skills. We all have to live on the same small ball.

#36 Jond105

Jond105

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:53 PM

Roughly 13-12 years ago, I was working for a company that dealt with custom auto paint and care. I was a warehouse worker at the time. They asked me to do their booth at Autorama in Detroit. I’m very social, talk, look a person in the eyes, firm grip on the handshake. Sold about $1400 on my side of the booth, had no idea what I was talking about, but I made them BELIEVE I knew every word I was saying. When really all I knew is exactly where that product was in the warehouse. Keep that in mind. Hopefully the people at NEAF actually knew what they were saying. 

#37 LFORLEESEE

LFORLEESEE

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Gold Coast AUSTRALIA

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:00 PM

Would you pay more so they could hire a sales pro for the booth?

You would end up walking out with the $800 focuser and a $2000 vacuum cleaner waytogo.gif

• AntMan1, roscoe and BradFran like this

#38 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:05 PM

Look me in the **** eyes if i am handing you eight hundred dollars for a focuser. Wait till the owner hears my rant.....   headcases. 

As long as it’s worth the money and is fully functional don’t see it was a big deal. We daily get people look us in the eye and give us a line of bull. I know I’d take the first option every time.

#39 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:36 PM

Roughly 13-12 years ago, I was working for a company that dealt with custom auto paint and care. I was a warehouse worker at the time. They asked me to do their booth at Autorama in Detroit. I’m very social, talk, look a person in the eyes, firm grip on the handshake. Sold about $1400 on my side of the booth, had no idea what I was talking about, but I made them BELIEVE I knew every word I was saying. When really all I knew is exactly where that product was in the warehouse. Keep that in mind. Hopefully the people at NEAF actually knew what they were saying. 

...'successful conversation will take you very far'......on the other hand I'd rather know what it was I was talking about even if I never said it to anyone.

#40 Jond105

Jond105

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:41 PM

...'successful conversation will take you very far'......on the other hand I'd rather know what it was I was talking about even if I never said it to anyone.

I knew somewhat of what it I was saying, but when they offered me a free pass to autorama and be paid, and they knew my limited qualifications on selling PPG paint was zero, I figured whatever mistakes were made by me were on them. 

Edited by Jond105, 10 April 2019 - 07:42 PM.

#41 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Soyuz

• ****-
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:14 PM

I kinda had the same experience trying to get a few bits of info about using an eq mount.,

I u tubed over a dozen.,lol.,

Hi.,I'm Bob.,Today I'm uh going to uh show you uh how to uh fix uh the .,you get the point.,do these guys ever watch themselves?.,

I uh figured it uh out uh on my uh own.,lol.,

And with the help of some good folks here.,

• roscoe likes this

#42 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:32 PM

Best uh thing   ummm about  ummm the umm keyboard is ummm that uh we can uh edit out the uh pauses to uh think in ummm our text uh, whatever, oh right, our ummm our text messages.

• clearwaterdave likes this

#43 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Ranger 4

• Loc: Otisco ny.

Posted 11 April 2019 - 04:14 AM

Being my first time at NEAF....the vendors were friendly and eager ...some no clue about some of their equipment, 

Notables: 

The Korean guys with the robotic mount I found a quite knowledgeable, quiet ...and funny..

In the center section a thin woman with CHROME captian Kirk boots a bit off ... The dome guys , they knew their  stuff as I asked very technical questions about the plastic (I used to do plastic engineering). 

The people  and the display of vintage scopes (brass) and the older guy in the back very enlightening.. informative.

A few nerds, a lot of geeks,  yes there is a difference,  the solar display facinating.  Overall I had a great time. Met many great people . Bought a few things... And learned that this hobby can be what you make of it .

I'm not complaining..

• George N, Phil Cowell, pao and 3 others like this

#44 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:13 PM

Oddly, I have been going to NEAF for about sixteen or seventeen years and have yet to have any memorable experience of a rude person--except for a couple of individuals on NEAF staff.   But I've never had an issue with a vendor or OEM.  Very interesting people for the most part.  GN   

• George N, Phil Cowell, hfjacinto and 3 others like this

#45 greenjuice

greenjuice

Viking 1

• Loc: NW CT.

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:45 PM

I always have a blast at NEAF. This year there were a couple of strange moments. I was looking for a howie glatter 1.25 tublug and was told that starlight may have a couple. So I moseyed over there and they had a 2 incher on the counter. So I asked if they had any 1.25’s and the lady screams at her partner “I told you to bring some inch an a quarters ! “ highly amusing.

Then I was shopping for a 100* eyepiece and seriously wanted an ethos (my first ever) but had been reading great reports about the APM’s. So at the booth, examining the apm the guy keeps telling me nah don’t buy it here, by it online, it’ll be a better deal, and I have only 4 of each focal length to sell today. So as I’m walking away I’m thinking ahhhhh this is a sales tactic, he sized me up and made them seem to be scarce so I would really want one (maybe, I dunno).

Anyhow, I found a nice price on a 6mm ethos at high point and went with that.

Also picked up a nice used 16mm NT 5 at another booth, so.....

happy happy happy.

• gnowellsct likes this

#46 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:05 PM

So at the booth, examining the apm the guy keeps telling me nah don’t buy it here, by it online, it’ll be a better deal, and I have only 4 of each focal length to sell today. So as I’m walking away I’m thinking ahhhhh this is a sales tactic, he sized me up and made them seem to be scarce so I would really want one (maybe, I dunno).

I think you're overthinking it.  If anything he was probably thinking that he would run out of inventory before the end of the show and he wanted to have stuff on display.  If this happened Sunday afternoon it would be surprising.  If it happened Saturday morning maybe not so much.  --Greg N

• greenjuice likes this

#47 greenjuice

greenjuice

Viking 1

• Loc: NW CT.

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:21 PM

I think you're overthinking it.  If anything he was probably thinking that he would run out of inventory before the end of the show and he wanted to have stuff on display.  If this happened Sunday afternoon it would be surprising.  If it happened Saturday morning maybe not so much.  --Greg 

What, me ? Overthinking ? wink.gif

All perfect people in the room please raise your hand 🖐 

Hey it was just a passing thought, trust me I don’t dwell on that sort of thing ;-)

edited for spelling.

Edited by greenjuice, 11 April 2019 - 07:23 PM.

#48 AntMan1

AntMan1

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:37 PM

Spoke to the owner today and could not be more opposite that the psychopath i met. More than made up for a horrible sale & install. They should combine NEAF with AAPM&R Annual physiatrists meeting. Bunch of headcases.

Edited by AntMan1, 11 April 2019 - 07:37 PM.

#49 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:43 PM

Spoke to the owner today and could not be more opposite that the psychopath i met. More than made up for a horrible sale & install. They should combine NEAF with AAPM&R Annual physiatrists meeting. Bunch of headcases.

Sooo... Now to the point... Did you succeed in getting the psychopath fired?!    Tom

• pao likes this

#50 AntMan1

AntMan1

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:57 PM

Sooo... Now to the point... Did you succeed in getting the psychopath fired?!    Tom

LOL no.... i would never do that. I actually asked him to go easy on him.  Owner of said company is going above and beyond what i felt i was owed. Happy ending. Thanks for asking Tom.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics