•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I thought i had issues... NEAF 2019

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#51 Mark Harry

Mark Harry

Cosmos

• Loc: Northeast USA

Posted 12 April 2019 - 04:57 AM

Groups of people- intro/extroverts-

Take where I work now.
I work next to a guy who has Asberger's.

Across the room, there's what I call a "brown-noser", an incredible loudmouth who never does anything wrong, and is quick to claim any credit---makes sure everyone knows what's on his mind, as well as the boss. If you mess up, he'll sure make certain most know about it.

The fellow who has Asberger's, is an incredible guy. -TREMENDOUSLY- talented, and has done something in the optics field for over 50 years.
He takes a while to warm up to anyone, but if you have the "telescope-nut" disease, he quickly starts spouting off vast amounts of knowledge about practically anything you could think of dealing with such a topic. 
Interferometers, testing procedures, generating lens curves- you name it.
A little familiarization, and he blossoms- and at times, you can't shut him up!
He's wound up to be a good friend of mine.
You'll never see him in the ATM forum, for his views and experiences would go against the grain of many of the so called experts there.
I am fortunate for being able to discern that.
Also, how fortunate that I have run into him.
I know which one I'd rather spend my time with. Maybe we ought to figure out how to allow these shy introverts a chance to show their stuff. 

• Phil Cowell, roscoe, pao and 2 others like this

#52 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 12 April 2019 - 08:13 AM

I don't think i have ever met a more dysfunctional group of people in my entire life then at NEAF this year. I though i had some issues lol this place was an armchairs psychiatrist dream come true. Why on earth would you send employees that can't talk more then three word to an event like this? The worst was the rep from one of the biggest focuser brands out here. Could not look you in the eye and talked to the floor when you spoke to him .  I need to exit society and move to the desert i am ******* done with the human race.

Just to be fair it was not all but about 40% of the vendors who don't have any people skills at all. what a bunch of head cases! Done!

Did you think it maybe YOU and not the people at NEAF? I've been going for over 7 years and honestly there are a few highly intelligent socially awkward people around but its the nature of the hobby. I'm an optimistic extrovert, I talk to everyone and generally everyone is nice, and when they aren't (there are a few) I just ignore them. But in many cases I have made lots of friends at NEAF. I'll say that 99% of the vendors are very very nice and knowledgeable. 

• moshen, Phil Cowell, pao and 2 others like this

#53 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 12 April 2019 - 08:44 AM

I know which one I'd rather spend my time with. Maybe we ought to figure out how to allow these shy introverts a chance to show their stuff. 

we hide behind our keyboards here on CN!!

Something I really like about Stellafane is that many of the most skilled scope-makers do indeed talk to their shoes..... but have incredible things to say about their work if you encourage them (us) a bit. Two years ago, I brought a couple of my ATM scopes up for judging.....I broke into a cold sweat and could hardly speak at the approach of the judges.... and I SO appreciate that they saw through my nervousness, listened, asked good questions, and even more amazingly, awarded me a couple of ribbons for my work....

Edited by roscoe, 12 April 2019 - 08:46 AM.

• Mark Harry, George N, Phil Cowell and 3 others like this

#54 AntMan1

AntMan1

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NY

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:10 PM

Did you think it maybe YOU and not the people at NEAF? I've been going for over 7 years and honestly there are a few highly intelligent socially awkward people around but its the nature of the hobby. I'm an optimistic extrovert, I talk to everyone and generally everyone is nice, and when they aren't (there are a few) I just ignore them. But in many cases I have made lots of friends at NEAF. I'll say that 99% of the vendors are very very nice and knowledgeable. 

No.

• JNDiller and rzep8 like this

#55 pao

pao

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:33 PM

No.

gaah.gif

#56 AntMan1

AntMan1

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NY

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:44 PM

gaah.gif

cant even right laughing my as* off. LOL! 

Edited by AntMan1, 12 April 2019 - 01:44 PM.

#57 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 12 April 2019 - 05:43 PM

No.

I’d rather talk to ANY vendor at NEAF than out of country software tech support.

• George N, JNDiller, mich_al and 1 other like this

#58 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 12 April 2019 - 06:57 PM

No.

Generally when no one else has an issue with the NEAF vendors (well 40%), I would generally trust the odds. Well I for one was happy I didn't have issues in the 7 years going there.

• moshen and scadvice like this

#59 Andy01

Andy01

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:20 PM

Q: What’s the difference between an introverted astronomer and an extroverted one?

A: an introverted astronomer looks at his shoes while he’s talking to you.  An extroverted astronomer looks at YOUR shoes.

grin.gif

That's GOLD! I have teenage boys on the Aspie spectrum & can completely relate to this - very funny lol.gif

• Augustus likes this

#60 moshen

moshen

Apollo

• Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 12 April 2019 - 11:19 PM

One thing I learned from years of managing a bunch of smart folks here in Silicon Valley is having a large tolerance for others. Along with that, to never underestimate the ones with less than polished social skills. More often than not they're the smartest or most interesting individual in the room. I don't think this hobby is big enough for companies to hire a bunch of slick sales guys to run the booths.

I would bet many would find the OP to be quite the 'special character' as well. And I don't mean it in a bad way as most of us might fall in our own category of this. But the effort to post such a rant and then bother to complain to the owner of a company about a less than polished but not intentionally rude sales interaction - at an astronomy equipment show - certainly isn't the kind of behavior that would win them the most well-adjusted person of the year award either.

Edited by moshen, 12 April 2019 - 11:27 PM.

• Mark Harry, EverlastingSky, Phil Cowell and 1 other like this

#61 pao

pao

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 13 April 2019 - 06:32 AM

cant even right laughing my as* off. LOL! 

lalalala.gif

• AntMan1 likes this

#62 bridgman

bridgman

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mosport, ON, Canada

Posted 13 April 2019 - 07:30 AM

Apparently I am no longer smart enough to use multi-quote, but between post #26 and the #52 #54 #55 sequence those are some of the best comments I have seen in a while.

• AntMan1 and pao like this

#63 swalker

swalker

Associate Editor - Sky & Telescope

• Vendors
  • Loc: 42.9225°N, 71.2242°W

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:50 AM

"Asperger's syndrome" is an outdated reference. It now is included under the autism spectrum as "high-functioning autism" 

• Augustus likes this

#64 jgardner

jgardner

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: The Commonwealth of Virginia

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:51 AM

It does sound like a case where an owner sent the person with the knowledge base, not the personality base.  My girlfriend sometimes accuses me coming to her with the knowledge base but not the personality base.  But only on good days.

#65 Ron-Fr

Ron-Fr

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Way too close to Paris, France

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:35 PM

(...) And, half the room has IQ's over 175, (...)

I think I was part of the other half. And I enthusiastically talked to as many people I could. I think stupidity is a blessing :-)

Edited by Ron-Fr, 18 April 2019 - 06:44 PM.

#66 Dagobert

Dagobert

Ranger 4

• Loc: Cincinnati, OH

Posted 19 April 2019 - 02:23 PM

The opportunity to have my shoes inspected while getting awkwardly presented firsthand insight into the hardware I spend my hard earned cash on is the main reason I GO to NEAF.  That and the food.  Seriously, inventor/engineer vs. salesperson?  I'm afraid I don't understand the question.  That said, I've had a couple experiences over the years where, no matter how cheerfully I tried to engage them, the vendor  clearly had no interest.  I'd say that was more along the lines of caught them at a bad moment.  Mortals tend to experience these from time to time.  More than once I've circled back to these same folks later and was cheerfully greeted.  It's all part of the spectacle.

#67 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 20 April 2019 - 07:24 AM

"Asperger's syndrome" is an outdated reference. It now is included under the autism spectrum as "high-functioning autism" 

There is a person who lives near here, who is a retired psychologist, worked in clinical situations, and was an ivy-league professor of psychology.....

Who says it all boils down to that there are three sorts of people in the world, makers, healers, and bullies.  Bullies can be makers or healers, but they're never really good at it, but true makers and healers can almost never be bullies.

..... and, because my initial question to this person, one that I have asked several well-known thinkers, is why skilled tradespeople are so often treated poorly, her opinion was that one of bullies' characteristics is that they come up with derogatory names for anyone that is not them..... and that Aspergers Syndrome, which does indeed describe people with more attention to the world of things than the world of people, sometimes to an extreme, is for the most part, an attempt to lessen the value to society of these people, to make their skills into a sort of disease.

She also suggested that that sort of 'shaming' is why teachers, nurses, and social workers, the healers of our society, are so often paid poorly.

food for thought......

• pao and Augustus like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics