•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Good website to buy/sell equipment in Europe

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Wouter1981

Wouter1981

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 April 2019 - 01:26 AM

I have some equipment I like to sell/buy but I have the impression most of the people here are from North America and the cost to send it overseas would often be to high. Is there a good place online that's more popular with Europeans?

Edited by Wouter1981, 10 April 2019 - 01:26 AM.

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 10 April 2019 - 01:52 AM

This one cover the UK and it would seem the EU, although not EU specific, a percentage of EU sellers - do not know of an EU one:

ABSUK

Sometimes people have a problem if not in UK as the site owner had issues with fraudulant sales from people elsewhere, a few years ago. Try it and if things are not easy/smooth/possible you will have to email the owner and they usually sort it quickly.

The other is the UK Star Gazers Lounge site that has a classifieds section, but I think they have a criteria for selling as in 50 posts minimum. Check.

• Wouter1981 and ThatsMyCoffee like this

#3 Wouter1981

Wouter1981

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:03 AM

Thank you! I have already found something interresting on ABSUK.

#4 Xilman

Xilman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cambridge UK

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:51 AM

This one cover the UK and it would seem the EU, although not EU specific, a percentage of EU sellers - do not know of an EU one:

ABSUK

Sometimes people have a problem if not in UK as the site owner had issues with fraudulant sales from people elsewhere, a few years ago. Try it and if things are not easy/smooth/possible you will have to email the owner and they usually sort it quickly.

The other is the UK Star Gazers Lounge site that has a classifieds section, but I think they have a criteria for selling as in 50 posts minimum. Check.

I used ABSUK 6 months ago, very successfully.  Now when I try the site it immediate asks me for a username and password, the latter of which I no longer know.  No option to create a new account or to reset a password, just an immediate permission-denied.

Is it just me?  An email to webmaster@... has been sent to ask for assistance.

(Added in edit: some IP addresses are blocked for whatever reason and webmaster@astrobuysell.com needs to be contacted.  A Chromium didn't tell me this snippet; the text-mode only "links" browser came to the rescue.)

Edited by Xilman, 11 July 2019 - 08:07 AM.

#5 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeast USA

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:11 PM

Stargazer's Lounge is the "European version" of Cloudy Nights. 

• aatdalton likes this

#6 aatdalton

aatdalton

Sputnik

Posted 11 July 2019 - 01:49 PM

Stargazer's Lounge is the "European version" of Cloudy Nights. 

Second this. And I really like how they use the forums for buy sell so questions can be answered publicly. I could be wrong but I do believe SGL is most focused in UK. Not sure how broad user base is in Europe in general. 

• Miguelo and rkelley8493 like this

#7 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 11 July 2019 - 02:07 PM

They have a good number of European people but the problem is I suppose one of buying from overseas. May all be in the EU (justgrin.gif ) but aspects are still "nationalistic" and buying/selling and shipping is one of them.

Even buying from some retailers can be a bit of a pain.grin.gif

What you unfortunately see is someone's items get no response, and you have the idea that were it a UK seller they would get a lot more interest.

ABSUK had trouble with fraudulent sellers so tightened up.

Would have thought a Cambridge IP was no problem, but was it a UK IP address. Science PArk uses a fair few ex-UK servers. Microsoft?

My works IP was Milwaukee, bought something, server went down and switched to Frankfurt, went to buy something else and all cards frozen. Some piece of security software worked out I could not get from Milwaukee to Frankfurt in 2 hours. Everything frozen.lol.gif

SGL "stopped" people buying and selling as a business. Became bad as people bought stuff then sold elsewhere at higher price, was becoming a problem. Well most anyway, one seems to be able to do it.

#8 Axunator

Axunator

Viking 1

• Loc: Helsinki, Finland

Posted 11 July 2019 - 02:10 PM

Second this. And I really like how they use the forums for buy sell so questions can be answered publicly. I could be wrong but I do believe SGL is most focused in UK. Not sure how broad user base is in Europe in general.

There are sellers from outside of UK on both SGL and UKABS - as well as buyers. I’m from Finland and have bought lots of gear from both. I’d say in my case 90% of sellers have been British and 10% from other EU countries. There was only one (understandable) occasion, when a British seller did not want to ship an expensive refractor overseas to me, because of the risk to the scope during shipping. But usually I buy smaller stuff, like EPs - never any real problems and most sellers seem happy as well.

I’m pretty sure almost all EU countries have their own national astro forums (I know we have), but buying and selling to/from foreign hobbyists at those is naturally hampered by the language barrier. Everybody knows at least some English, so many of us Europeans tend to gravitate to UK sites. It’s a very, very small and marginal hobby, after all.

Having said above, I’m surprised there aren’t more non-UK sellers at SGL and UKABS. Then again, when I’m selling, I try to do it on the Finnish forum first (there really aren’t many of us!), and then move the add to the British sites if I can’t find the buyer closer to home.

There is also some EU activity on Astromart (my fourth line of action, if the goods won’t move through the European sites - I’ve sold only one TV EP there, to a Turkish guy, transaction went fine), but it’s much more infrequent than on UK sites. Astromart requires a 15$ annual subscription, so may not be attractive to Europeans, unless selling/buying more expensive stuff.

Edited by Axunator, 11 July 2019 - 02:14 PM.

#9 Xilman

Xilman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cambridge UK

Posted 11 July 2019 - 02:36 PM

ABSUK had trouble with fraudulent sellers so tightened up.

Would have thought a Cambridge IP was no problem, but was it a UK IP address. Science PArk uses a fair few ex-UK servers. Microsoft?

I'm in La Palma ATM.

Webmaster sent me the keys to the back door, so all is well again.

#10 Nebula27

Nebula27

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium(near Antwerp)

Posted 11 July 2019 - 04:06 PM

I guess you live in Belgium or the Netherlands(Wouter is a typical name here). In those two countries "te les koop" and "marktplaats" are the most used sites to buy and sell used equipment. Te les koop is especially for astronomical equipment and marktplaats is just a popular second hand site.

#11 Wouter1981

Wouter1981

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:31 AM

I guess you live in Belgium or the Netherlands(Wouter is a typical name here). In those two countries "te les koop" and "marktplaats" are the most used sites to buy and sell used equipment. Te les koop is especially for astronomical equipment and marktplaats is just a popular second hand site.

yep, from Belgium (around Gent). I already bought something from markplaats and a few weeks ago found "te les koop". I now have to much things I want to buy... ;-)

#12 JuergenB

JuergenB

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lilienthal, Germany

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:03 AM

Hello Wouter,

You also might have a look at the German sites forum.astronomie.de and astrotreff.de, both having buy and sell sections. Not sure about the required minimum number of postings though.

Juergen

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics