•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AZ tracking mount: AZ-EQ5 or AZ Mount Pro?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 fate187

fate187

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:40 PM

Got the tripod today. Overall, very convenient set up. With the 4.5kg counterweight it carrys my LZOS123 (tube with rings/dovetail 9kg + finder/diagonal/eyepiece ~ 10kg I estimate) very well. The OTA is front heavy, but can be balanced with the finder/diagonal/eyepiece.

The tripod + adjustment screws for leveling is nice, but from my experience with my AZ-EQ6 not absolutely necessary, so I will probably send the tripod back and will use my SW tripod. I will be able to try it this coming weekend.

best

Michael

#27 photoracer18

photoracer18

Vanguard

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:14 PM

I invested in the TPOD-110 so, I'll stick with that.

But you will need a tall pier to go on top between the mount and the pier to keep from possibly hitting the mount legs. One reason why I think the iOptron Tri-Pier is a better and cheaper solution than the T-POD, at least for a GEM. Its got more locking lever on it and it can be set with the legs low to give the OTA clearance without having to come up with some kind of riser tube to give the mount clearance. I got one and it carries my AP400, AP600, or my G11 G1 rock solid with plenty of clearance between the OTA and the pier legs.
Only thing I did not like was having to pay $200 for their version of the AP ADATRI which is just a version with bigger holes compared to the $70 AP adapter.

#28 PatNois

PatNois

Lift Off

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:59 PM

Yes,

i am using 2 11 lb. counterweights to balance my refractor.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics