•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is there a 6" Newtonian with baffles?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 betelgeuse91

betelgeuse91

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:28 PM

I look at the Astro-Tech, Orion, TPO, but they all seem to not have baffles on 6" Newtonians.

I am wondering if there is any 6" Newtonian with baffles that is not too expensive... 

Is there one..? I mean, baffles are essential for imaging, right? 

• ghostboo likes this

#2 EJN

EJN

Skylab

• Loc: Between what is and what's not there

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:38 PM

I mean, baffles are essential for imaging, right?

No

• Sarkikos, HydrogenAlpha, ghostboo and 1 other like this

#3 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Skylab

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 10 April 2019 - 10:18 PM

Controlling stray light matters, but circular baffles going down a tube are just one way to address it. On Newtonians, blackening the interior of a not-too-skinny tube are also very effective. And having the front end of the tube not too short, and putting something extra-black right behind the folding flat (where the focuser is pointing)... stuff like that. And most certainly avoiding direct light-trespass and even seeking good dark skies. The very best baffling is... a dome!    Tom

• izar187, Sarkikos, ghostboo and 1 other like this

#4 scngc7317

scngc7317

Ranger 4

• Loc: CA

Posted 10 April 2019 - 10:21 PM

NO, No and hell No, not on Newtonian's 

• Sarkikos, Astrojensen and Augustus like this

#5 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 10 April 2019 - 10:25 PM

I mean, baffles are essential for imaging, right? 

No +3

• Sarkikos likes this

#6 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted 10 April 2019 - 10:31 PM

6” newt - no

6” mak-newt - yes. Intes Micro MN66 has baffles, but a very small secondary. Don’t know if it would be best for imaging.

• Eddgie, Augustus and agmoonsolns like this

#7 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Apollo

• Loc: Washington

Posted 10 April 2019 - 10:33 PM

What Vondragonnoggin said above, the Maksutov-Newtonians definitely have them.

#8 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

Posted 10 April 2019 - 10:34 PM

Astro Tech 6” RC has them too

#9 betelgeuse91

betelgeuse91

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 10 April 2019 - 10:39 PM

I see... I'm surprise to hear that the baffles are not essential for Newtonians. I had a wrong belief!

I gave up on the RC as I am scared of the collimation, and Maksutov-Newts are too expensive for me...

But if not having baffles is not big of deal, I will definitely consider a 6" Newtonian..! 

Edited by betelgeuse91, 10 April 2019 - 10:43 PM.

#10 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

Posted 10 April 2019 - 10:44 PM

I see... I'm surprise to hear that the baffles are not essential for Newtonians. I had a wrong belief!

I gave up on the RC as I am scared of the collimation, and Maksutov-Newts are too expensive for me...

But if not having baffles are not too big of deal, I will definitely consider a 6" Newtonian..! 

A 6” F/4 is pretty critical on collimation too. Much more for the Boren-Simon version with F/2.8 reducer. Not much getting around that one at those speeds. Even the David Levy Comet Hunter from ES is pretty critical at F/4.8

Had a guy showing me a three hour session with the Comet Hunter and he made short work of collimating with a Hotech laser. Practice. This guy was very practiced at it.

• ghostboo and Augustus like this

#11 betelgeuse91

betelgeuse91

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 10 April 2019 - 10:49 PM

A 6” F/4 is pretty critical on collimation too. Much more for the Boren-Simon version with F/2.8 reducer. Not much getting around that one at those speeds. Even the David Levy Comet Hunter from ES is pretty critical at F/4.8

Had a guy showing me a three hour session with the Comet Hunter and he made short work of collimating with a Hotech laser. Practice. This guy was very practiced at it.

I once had a f/5 Newtonian so I am pretty confident with collimating Newtonians (I am aware that f/4 is much more sensitive to collimation but I hope I won't struggle too much..)

But collimating RC is something... something out of this universe. 

#12 ghostboo

ghostboo

Viking 1

• Loc: Ocean Springs, MS

Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:59 PM

I look at the Astro-Tech, Orion, TPO, but they all seem to not have baffles on 6" Newtonians.

I am wondering if there is any 6" Newtonian with baffles that is not too expensive... 

Is there one..? I mean, baffles are essential for imaging, right? 

I have a GSO 6" f/4 Imaging Newt. No baffles but I really don't think that's a problem. I'm pretty happy with it so far. It's imperative to do a good job with collimation. Out of the box, I used a Cheshire to get a rough collimation and finally my Hotech SCA crosshair laser to finish it off. Now, I just check it with the Hotech when I get it on the mount. Takes about two minutes. Here's a couple images taken with this OTA: 

Attached Thumbnails

• M20 Newt 183 30 250 resized.jpg
  • M27 Newt 183 30 250 resized.jpg

• belgrade, psandelle, Vondragonnoggin and 4 others like this

#13 betelgeuse91

betelgeuse91

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 14 May 2019 - 03:43 PM

I have a GSO 6" f/4 Imaging Newt. No baffles but I really don't think that's a problem. I'm pretty happy with it so far. It's imperative to do a good job with collimation. Out of the box, I used a Cheshire to get a rough collimation and finally my Hotech SCA crosshair laser to finish it off. Now, I just check it with the Hotech when I get it on the mount. Takes about two minutes. Here's a couple images taken with this OTA: 

Thank you Brian for providing good examples.

• ghostboo likes this

#14 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:41 PM

Keep in mind baffles can exacerbate cool down time because they trap warm air inside the tube. Flocking does not. Mak Newt is a closed tube design so the air is already trapped anyway. Mewlon or the new classical Cassegrain at least have relatively short tubes. Not sure a fully baffled 10” Dob would ever cool down, at least without fans to push the air around.

So no, reflectors generally are not baffled. For good reason.

Scott

#15 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:51 PM

Here is a cool CN article on stray light control in a Newtonian 

https://www.cloudyni...elescopes-r2006

Talks about where baffling might be helpful and what isn’t needed.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics