•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CEM40EC & iPolar review

• Please log in to reply
340 replies to this topic

#1 tbcgeorge

tbcgeorge

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 April 2019 - 04:24 PM

I got my brand new CEM40EC earlier this week, really impressed by its overall design & built & performance!

iPolar is even more impressive. When I used Pole Master first time, I can't imaging anything else can get significantly better, but iPolar did it. With iPolar, now everything becomes automatic. You only need to connect iPolar to the software, and it will take you from there, without a single click on the screen! Its real time plate solve is really cool.

Video here:

https://youtu.be/CnVuR-JImvw

Last night with average seeing, I managed to get RMS=0.4 arcsec on my PHD2 with CEM40EC (graph attached), not sure if this is good enough for a mount with EC -- any comments/ideas?

I'm starting this topic to put more reviews on this mount, if there's any questions, feel free to ask.

Video of box open/dry-run:

https://youtu.be/eCh2w126QdE

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0567.PNG

• zjc26138, starbob1, psandelle and 11 others like this

#2 amoncayo

amoncayo

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:16 PM

Hi,

Glad things have started out well for you with the 40EC!

What was your guiding image scale?

Al

Last night with average seeing, I managed to get RMS=0.4 arcsec on my PHD2 with CEM40EC (graph attached), not sure if this is good enough for a mount with EC -- any comments/ideas?

#3 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Viking 1

• Loc: Houston

Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:54 PM

Wow, looks pretty impressive right out of the box.

#4 petert913

petert913

Gemini

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:54 PM

Wow,  that video on the iPolar is very impressive.  I need to check if it will ever be available for iEQ45 pro mounts smile.gif

edit:  yes it is compatible with many types of mounts.  Happy.

Edited by petert913, 11 April 2019 - 05:57 PM.

#5 gotak

gotak

Vanguard

• Loc: Toronto, CA

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:17 PM

That's pretty good results. What was the payload used?

My cem60ec arrived today. I'll have to wait for the clouds to go though.

Edited by gotak, 11 April 2019 - 06:20 PM.

#6 aneeg

aneeg

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Nesodden, Norway

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:29 PM

That mount is a killer!

Arne

#7 Hondo

Hondo

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: NB, Canada

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:52 PM

That is looking pretty good.  I see that you were guiding on a saturated star, that will affect your total RMS.  Choosing a non-saturated star will lower the RMS even more.

#8 tbcgeorge

tbcgeorge

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:21 PM

Thank you Al!

My guidescope's fl is 120mm, guiding camera is ASI224mc, so SkySafari tells its FOV is 2.3 x 1.7 degrees

Hi,

Glad things have started out well for you with the 40EC!

What was your guiding image scale?

Al

#9 tbcgeorge

tbcgeorge

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:22 PM

I think so too! Thanks Andrew!

Wow, looks pretty impressive right out of the box.

#10 tbcgeorge

tbcgeorge

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:28 PM

Thanks Gotak! I'm using a William Optics GT81 + reducer + ASI1600&EFW + ZWO miniguidescope, so I guess it's well below 20 lbs

My friend in Houston bought a CEM60 last year, and I got to use it in west Texas and New Mexico with him, very impressive mount. If you never used it, do read the user manual before setup, the RA & DEC locking screws are a bit tricky, don't turn them too tight! Wish you good luck with the new mount!

That's pretty good results. What was the payload used?

My cem60ec arrived today. I'll have to wait for the clouds to go though.

#11 tbcgeorge

tbcgeorge

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:29 PM

Thanks Arne!

That mount is a killer!

Arne

#12 tbcgeorge

tbcgeorge

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:32 PM

Thanks for the advice Scott! I picked the star manually, coz the auto-select star seems too dim to me... How do you figure it's saturated? Is it SNR?

That is looking pretty good.  I see that you were guiding on a saturated star, that will affect your total RMS.  Choosing a non-saturated star will lower the RMS even more.

#13 spokeshave

spokeshave

Vanguard

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:39 PM

The red "SAT" on the status bar at the bottom center means that the star is saturated.

Tim
  • BinoGuy and Hondo like this

#14 tbcgeorge

tbcgeorge

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:45 PM

Got you, thanks Tim!

The red "SAT" on the status bar at the bottom center means that the star is saturated.

Tim

#15 whwang

whwang

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:19 PM

Thank you for the report.  May I ask what's the exposure time for your guide frames?

#16 gotak

gotak

Vanguard

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:52 PM

Thank you for the report.  May I ask what's the exposure time for your guide frames?

It's 1.5s in his screen shot.

• whwang likes this

#17 tbcgeorge

tbcgeorge

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 April 2019 - 10:05 PM

Hi, gotak is right, my exp is 1.5s each. I tried to increase to 2s, but it seems my guiding camera doesn't like it, some lost frames...

I'll try get longer exposure next time.

#18 whwang

whwang

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:53 AM

Thanks.  I appreciate if you can also try shorter exposures such as 1 sec or even 0.5 sec.

The lost frames you mentioned also interest me.  May I ask which guide camera is it?

#19 cloudywest

cloudywest

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 April 2019 - 05:58 AM

Wow, very impressive! Thank you, Ben, for the first light videos. This mount is for sure my next move.
One question, Ben, is the mount with cable management? In your dry run I saw floating cables.

#20 GregKo

GregKo

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 12 April 2019 - 06:18 AM

Thanks Gotak! I'm using a William Optics GT81 + reducer + ASI1600&EFW + ZWO miniguidescope, so I guess it's well below 20 lbs

My friend in Houston bought a CEM60 last year, and I got to use it in west Texas and New Mexico with him, very impressive mount. If you never used it, do read the user manual before setup, the RA & DEC locking screws are a bit tricky, don't turn them too tight! Wish you good luck with the new mount!

I saw this mount at NEAF and I believe the screws you mentioned are no longer designed in the system. Just the clutch engage and disengage knobs. It much easier to engage the gears now.

Greg - NJ

• gfstallin likes this

#21 gotak

gotak

Vanguard

Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:37 AM

I saw this mount at NEAF and I believe the screws you mentioned are no longer designed in the system. Just the clutch engage and disengage knobs. It much easier to engage the gears now.

Greg - NJ

He's talking about my CEM60EC which does still have them and the strangeness with the regular counter weight with the silver alu locking knob, with a replacement red one packed with the mount should you want to make sure all the knobs matches :)

#22 tbcgeorge

tbcgeorge

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 April 2019 - 08:19 AM

No problem Wei-Hao, I'll try both longer & shorter exposures on the next clear night.

I figured the lost frame is due to the USB connections on my Minix computer. I need to revamp my cable management. For your info, my guiding camera is ASI224mc, it has been functioning quite well before.

Thanks.  I appreciate if you can also try shorter exposures such as 1 sec or even 0.5 sec.

The lost frames you mentioned also interest me.  May I ask which guide camera is it?

• whwang likes this

#23 tbcgeorge

tbcgeorge

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 April 2019 - 08:39 AM

Thank you! I'm glad you share my passion on this mount.

Yes, it has cable management on the dovetail saddle, 1x USB, 1x12vDC and 1xGuiding.

I will test it and make another video soon:)

Wow, very impressive! Thank you, Ben, for the first light videos. This mount is for sure my next move.
One question, Ben, is the mount with cable management? In your dry run I saw floating cables.

#24 tbcgeorge

tbcgeorge

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 April 2019 - 08:43 AM

I was in NEAF too, for both days!

gotak is right, I was talking about my friends CEM60, but I didn't check them out on NEAF last weekend, all my attention was on CEM40 and CEM120 (which my local association is about to purchase). They might made improvements on CEM60 models, I'm not sure...

Greg - NJ

#25 tbcgeorge

tbcgeorge

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 April 2019 - 08:51 AM

Yes, I was talking about CEM60 models. I talked to Dr. Jiang (iOptron's CEO) on NEAF about the RA&DEC locking tricks of CEM60,  they put big warning signs & explanation in the box for that, and they're kind enough to cover it under warranty if user breaks the gears because of that.

He's talking about my CEM60EC which does still have them and the strangeness with the regular counter weight with the silver alu locking knob, with a replacement red one packed with the mount should you want to make sure all the knobs matches smile.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics