•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

2019 Eyepiece Buyer's Guide

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#76 hongxu chen

hongxu chen

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:49 PM

I think ES eyepieces are over hyped. They leave a lot to be desired. Especially contrast. You are correct in the statement that low price means low Quality form China.

C.S.
Ron

Correct! ES always want to compare themselves with TV. But in fact, TV has never given it a s**t.

Edited by hongxu chen, 08 October 2019 - 10:30 PM.

#77 hongxu chen

hongxu chen

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 09 October 2019 - 02:20 AM

You should become eBay seller, because your own patriots they even use adobe Photoshop so to paint coatings over non-coated eyepieces.
They see me as a fool, I see them as common thieves which worth punishment.

Neither I would fall over the fork of Celestron or Meade.

Answering emails this is a sign of respect, no matter of the quality of the message and there is no national holiday lasting three weeks.

Sorry to make you disappoint, I am a TV fan, not a patriot. I own 3 EHTOS, powermate also the zoom. As I said, Datyson is junk, and I told you guys keep away from it. The manufacturer use to make cheap toy binoculars and sell them to Africa or other Bankrupt country. I just don’t know why you are so care about this $15 eyepiece. Even send an email to inquiry. Won’t the international shipping cost more than the eyepieces itself? Why spend such a long time, even find a picture from Russia, to research how suck this $15 eyepieces is? What do you expect such a cheap eyepieces be? No doubt they will see you as fool. If you think its quality is poor, then don’t buy this cheap junk, go buy TAK or TV. If you don’t like Chinese products, then go buy Greek eyepieces. Nobody stops you from doing that. If you can only afford Macdonald’s, why require them to serve you as an Three Stars Michelin Restaurant do? Why even blame Macdonald’s using cheap beef to make burger?

By the way, just want let you know that eBay has quit from China 13 years ago. Google it for more details. All the Chinese products you can see in eBay are sold by foreign agent. They buy the cheapest products, which no Chinese will touch, in local market, then sell them online. Chinese only use Taobao.com or Aliexpress.com. Not like in eBay, the seller are all qualified there. If you don’t like the item, you can return and get refund easily there. You can also ask for huge compensation if you buy fake or defective products there.

Edited by hongxu chen, 09 October 2019 - 09:08 AM.

#78 Kiriakos_GR

Kiriakos_GR

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central, Greece

Posted 09 October 2019 - 08:30 AM

Sorry to make you disappoint, I am a TV fan, not a patriot.

Due my experiences of using internet and forums for 30 years up to date, your text analysis, this indicates a mixture of generic information’s and bitter because neither within 2019 China is ready to deliver a proper made eyepiece, with out it eyecup to fall apart in a few years’.

According my book, any Europe boys using Chinese assembly lines they are blacklisted.

In Europe we are not feel desperate regarding eyepieces availability, the market of used this is full of Russian made optics and of Japanese ones among with several Olympus Japan binoculars’ which their eyepieces can be removed.

I would be willing to offer far more detailed thoughts, but Google this is copying any dot that I am typing every two minutes.

From the other hand it is an interesting phenomenon, hobbyists to start dogfights in favor of eyepieces, and astronomers them selves’ to not bother to award best eyepiece of the year?   Or those to define which eyepiece this is made according to high standards’? 

There is a Greek saying, that in the kingdom of blind people, the one with a singe good eye he must be declared as King.
I do disagree if he is a Chinese.
I might change my opinion when all Chinese brands start to offer eyecup replacements’ which they will not fall apart by causing eyepiece limited life-cycle.

#79 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 09 October 2019 - 08:37 AM

Though this has been interesting, this geo-political discussion is really a conversation for another thread.

I would, however, appreciate learning of eyepieces I may have missed that need to be added to the list.

My own list has many additions from the one above because I am constantly adding new models.

I may post a 2019-1/2 version a little later to include a lot of new models.

• skyskan likes this

#80 skyskan

skyskan

Vostok 1

Posted 10 October 2019 - 03:47 PM

Though this has been interesting, this geo-political discussion is really a conversation for another thread.

I would, however, appreciate learning of eyepieces I may have missed that need to be added to the list.

My own list has many additions from the one above because I am constantly adding new models.

I would second that!

Please take it elsewhere if anybody wants to discuss politics.

#81 Kiriakos_GR

Kiriakos_GR

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:32 PM

I would second that!

Please take it elsewhere if anybody wants to discuss politics.

This is a message and for any other voters,  pull your nose out of other people conversations. 

And respect the 16 followers of this topic, so them to not be notified with out a good reason.

Thank you.

Edited by Kiriakos_GR, 10 October 2019 - 04:42 PM.

#82 Kiriakos_GR

Kiriakos_GR

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:41 PM

From the useful geo-political discussion, if I was in your shoes I would add and another cell on the spreadsheet : The manufacturer it does offer rubber eye-cup replacements (Yes / No ).

The consumers deserve to be fully educated prior making any buying decision.

Thank you.  

#83 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:55 PM

Almost none of the manufacturers offer rubber eyecup replacements.

However, rubber eyecups in many sizes are available from several vendors.

Examples: https://agenaastro.c...ult/?q=eyeguard

https://www.edmundop...yeguards/12476/

Personally, I just make them if needed.  They are very easy to make. See:

https://www.cloudyni...cups/?p=4981064

I would have put a column in there for country of origin, but it turns out that some come from more than one country

and the origin is hidden for others, so I have purposely left that out.  Plus. most come from the PRC now.

I just started adding weights.  The next list will have a lot more in it.

#84 Kiriakos_GR

Kiriakos_GR

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:45 PM

Almost none of the manufacturers offer rubber eyecup replacements.

Personally, I just make them if needed.  They are very easy to make. See:

https://www.cloudyni...cups/?p=4981064

Yes human creativity it is remarkable and helpful in some cases, but the rubber eye-cup (permanent or removable) this it should concern people also regarding hygiene.

It does puzzle me the idea that a used eyepiece this comes along with any microbial load from it previews owner.

Any serious maker of eyepieces who does not offer spare eye-cups, he is no serious because eyes hygiene this is priceless.

I think that law makers in European Union they will be more than willing to make a relative law and force all those manufacturers so them to change their policies and comply in favor of common sense and of hygiene.

#85 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:21 PM

Rubber is washable.

And one inner tube makes over a hundred eyeguards, so very easy to change.

#86 Kiriakos_GR

Kiriakos_GR

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 11 October 2019 - 03:27 AM

Rubber is washable.

And one inner tube makes over a hundred eyeguards, so very easy to change.

I am after a more drastic solution as expectation, and this is all clans of Celestron ,  Meade, Televue and others to be forced to deliver two spare eye-cup with any eyepiece they are selling.

And I am willing paying 0.60 cents on top of its current eyepiece pricing.

#87 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2019 - 10:27 AM

TeleVue sells replacement eyeguards for $10 each, or 3 for $21.

You can also buy replacements for Baader, ES and a few others, but most makers don't generally offer replacements.

You might ask the retailers who sell replacement eyeguards how many they sell.  I suspect the number is quite small.

And on this site, there are a lot of posters who don't like eyeguards at all.  Witness the long threads extolling the virtues

of this or that "smoothie" eyepiece.

I wonder how many people EVER remove the eyeguards and wash them?

#88 Kiriakos_GR

Kiriakos_GR

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:02 AM

I wonder how many people EVER remove the eyeguards and wash them?

I wonder why some people have the nerve to list on eBay eyepieces with partially destroyed or deteriorated eye-cups for sale in UK. lol.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics