•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Black Forest Star Party 2019 in Northern Pennsylvania

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#76 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North-Central Pa.

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:30 PM

To improve the chances of good weather, I am bringing my rain boots and tow strap.

And I am also bring the boots, umbrella, poncho,extra towels and tarps..  grin.gif

#77 steveastrouk

steveastrouk

Viking 1

• Vendors
  • Loc: State College, Pa.

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:18 PM

Has anybody checked with Bill lately at BFSP for the waiting list?

Yes.

Hopefully he'll comment later.

Steve

• Skywatchr likes this

#78 CometChaser2013

CometChaser2013

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:49 PM

Has anybody checked with Bill lately at BFSP for the waiting list?

What would you like to know?

Bill Gartner

BFSP 2019 Star Party chairperson

• Skywatchr likes this

#79 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:40 AM

What would you like to know?

Bill Gartner

BFSP 2019 Star Party chairperson

Just curious if anyone has been able to join in the fun that may have missed the registration deadline, where someone else has made theirs available through the list, or simply forgot about it.  I suppose time will tell. But then, from the "prize drawing" perspective, if there are any cancellations, or no-shows, there's less competition. lol.gif

Edited by Skywatchr, 12 September 2019 - 11:41 AM.

#80 VampiricRogue

VampiricRogue

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: South NJ

Posted 15 September 2019 - 11:45 PM

I'm excited to be able to make it this year, thanks to Bill and Skywatchr for the waiting list assistance and hook up!

• peleuba, Skywatchr and CometChaser2013 like this

#81 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 16 September 2019 - 09:22 AM

I'm excited to be able to make it this year, thanks to Bill and Skywatchr for the waiting list assistance and hook up!

Glad to have you aboard! waytogo.gif  It'll be fun rain or shine, though (star)shine is much better. grin.gif

#82 steveastrouk

steveastrouk

Viking 1

• Vendors

Posted 16 September 2019 - 09:18 PM

We should try and do a CN BFSP group photo - say after the prize draw on Saturday.

• Skywatchr likes this

#83 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 16 September 2019 - 10:11 PM

We should try and do a CN BFSP group photo - say after the prize draw on Saturday.

Well it till probably be too dark by then and people will be wanting to do last minute preparations for the night.  It gets dark about 7:30pm nowadays.  I am hoping they start the raffle drawing earlier so it isn't dark by the time it's done.

• Pilot87178d likes this

#84 steveastrouk

steveastrouk

Viking 1

• Vendors

Posted 17 September 2019 - 08:57 AM

Well it till probably be too dark by then and people will be wanting to do last minute preparations for the night.  It gets dark about 7:30pm nowadays.  I am hoping they start the raffle drawing earlier so it isn't dark by the time it's done.

Earlier works for me. Lets see if anyone else wants to join in.

• Skywatchr likes this

#85 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 18 September 2019 - 10:19 PM

I'll be there.  This will be my first trip to Cherry Springs.  Looking forward to it. 

• peleuba, George N and Skywatchr like this

#86 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:38 AM

I'll be there.  This will be my first trip to Cherry Springs.  Looking forward to it. 

We'll have to break you in right. lol.gif  (just kidding)  As long as the weather holds out, I am sure you will really enjoy being there. Just be prepared for some chilly nights in late September. Being up in the mountains, it's colder than your average weather forecasts for low temps.

• aeajr likes this

#87 mr1337

mr1337

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:23 PM

This will be my first BFSP as well, but got to CSSP earlier this year. I was surprised even at the end of May how cool it got in the wee hours. Bringing the parka and hothands this time!
  • George N and Skywatchr like this

#88 mr1337

mr1337

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 09:04 AM

Also, I noticed people often put tarps under their scopes, does that help minimize dew or something?

I usually bring some concrete pavers to put under the tripod legs to prevent the rig from sinking into the dirt but wondering if a tarp would be a good thing to bring too.
  • Skywatchr likes this

#89 reddog1972

reddog1972

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northern NJ

Posted Yesterday, 09:30 AM

Also, I noticed people often put tarps under their scopes, does that help minimize dew or something?

I usually bring some concrete pavers to put under the tripod legs to prevent the rig from sinking into the dirt but wondering if a tarp would be a good thing to bring too.

People with dobs do this so that dew/moisture doesn't damage their base, as it's basically sitting flush on the ground while the bottoms of their dobs are generally wood.  As an imager using a tripod, i've found that anti-vibration pads (bricks/pavers are common as well) are a better solution - if you're using a tarp underneath a tripod, the moment any movement is registered on the tarp, it transfers to your imaging system resulting in a blurred sub-frame.

Regardless of system, a telegizmo type cover over the top of your ota is imperative at events like this to protect your system from unexpected weather events.

• Skywatchr likes this

#90 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

Posted Yesterday, 10:34 AM

Partially, yes. It does help prevent dampness from the ground making it's way to your scope and turn into "dew". It also provides a safety net for when you ultimately drop something and it becomes part of the grass and difficult to find in the dark. But such a tarp needs to be secured down or it becomes a trip hazard. If you set your rig on a tarp, and it (hopefully not) decides to rain (even heavy dew), then clear off, you are left with puddles of water that need removed. They usually manifest around the depression from tripod legs, dobs, or anything on the tarp that creates a low spot. But when it's dry, they are nice to use.

#91 mr1337

mr1337

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 06:51 PM

Ah, makes sense, thanks!

Random side question... It's there a place nearby to get a fishing license? Or does PA let you do that online? May try to get some of that in when there too.

#92 steveastrouk

steveastrouk

Viking 1

• Vendors

Posted Yesterday, 07:11 PM

https://www.gonefishingpa.com/

HTH

Steve

#93 Pilot87178d

Pilot87178d

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Central Maryland, USA

Posted Today, 08:09 AM

Back surgery is forcing me to abandon the tent this year....so, thinking renting a pop-up is the way to go rather than one of the motels.....anybody know if I could use power from the field posts for the pop-up?  Would be running the basics only, so not much draw....

Also, prefer to stay on-field, however, have heard good things about the Mill Stream Inn.....thoughts?

Can't wait to get up there this year!!!

M

#94 Pilot87178d

Pilot87178d

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted Today, 08:12 AM

We certainly won't lack for cameras! :-)

M

#95 Poochpa

Poochpa

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Buffalo Burbs, NY

Posted Today, 08:58 AM

Back surgery is forcing me to abandon the tent this year....so, thinking renting a pop-up is the way to go rather than one of the motels.....anybody know if I could use power from the field posts for the pop-up?  Would be running the basics only, so not much draw....

Also, prefer to stay on-field, however, have heard good things about the Mill Stream Inn.....thoughts?

Can't wait to get up there this year!!!

M

Yes, you can use the power posts for running a trailer’s basics, not any heavy amp draws though, or you’ll trip the breaker (for example AC + microwave).  Millstream is very nice, but usually booked up for BFSP.

Mike

Edited by Poochpa, Today, 08:59 AM.

#96 Pilot87178d

Pilot87178d

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted Today, 09:05 AM

Thanks, Mike.....don't want to tick off the rangers, or other players near-by by popping the breaker!  I would intend on using the power cord for the scope set-up, and then pull it over to the trailer for nothing bigger than a coffee-maker!  Could actually use the trailer battery for that perhaps, and then use power to charge the trailer battery during the day.....

M

#97 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted Today, 10:33 AM

Coffee makers, or anything that heats, draw a lot of power.  Just FYI

• Pilot87178d likes this

#98 reddog1972

reddog1972

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northern NJ

Posted Today, 01:04 PM

Please use your trailer battery for coffee makers and another other heat generating device. They draw a ton more amperage than the average telescope gear, and you'd be popping the breaker for 12 people plugged into the same post who are also drawing juice for their telescope gear. Thanks in advance!!!
  • Pilot87178d likes this

#99 Pilot87178d

Pilot87178d

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted Today, 02:03 PM

Agree...did check the appliance panel earlier today....will use a deep-cycle marine battery for this stuff....last year, I used it to run the appliance, mount, dew heaters, etc.all weekend and returned home with most of the charge left.....no sense in risking the fun of others on the little grid we have running there....

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics