•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SynScan & SkySafari 6+

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:57 AM

Hello all,

What is the process for connecting Sky Safari to SynScan?

My guess is:

Use the hand controller / SynScan to align the telescope and get it tracking, then plug in (should I say connect) the hand controller to the iPad (either wifi or wired), then do what? Go to the same object on the iPad that the telescope is looking at, then connect? Connect prior to? Do I have to tell the SynScan unit that it's connected to a "PC"? I saw in the manual a paragraph about telling the hand controller it was connected to a PC, but don't know if that is strictly for a "PC", meaning Windows computer, or generically meaning iPad as well.

Any tutorial on this process is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

David

Edited by helpwanted, 15 April 2019 - 09:25 AM.

#2 btschumy

btschumy

Gemini

• Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:45 AM

David,

You are overthinking this.  Use the hand controller to star align the mount.  Then plug the Synscan serial cable into the bottom of the HC.  The other end attaches to something like SkyFi or a cable (SkyWire or to a serial-to-USB adapter on Mac).  Then in SkySafari you need to tap the Scope button and then Connect.  You shouldn't need to do any further synchronization.  SkySafari should be showing you where the scope is currently pointing.

Note: If you are using SkyFi you need to join the SkyFi network before tapping Connect.

Bill

#3 stormbringer

stormbringer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:15 AM

Hello, when connecting the scope through Skysafari just before the alignment through the HC, date and time will be adjusted by Skysafari

You haven't type in the actual time etc. manually

#4 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:38 AM

thank you!!!

#5 Astrodave

Astrodave

Apollo

• Loc: Centreville, Va. USA

Posted 02 May 2019 - 12:14 PM

Still no word on this yet I'm guessing?

• Roger Corbett likes this

#6 btschumy

btschumy

Gemini

• Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 06 May 2019 - 01:34 PM

Still no word on this yet I'm guessing?

Word on what?

#7 39.1N84.5W

39.1N84.5W

He asked for it

• Loc: cincinnati

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:58 AM

I, too, am wondering about this. The synscan dongle usually attaches directly to the mount... no hand controller is needed. Can skysafari work in this configuration? I'm using a skywatcher az-eq6 mount and an Android galaxy phone.

Edited by 39.1N84.5W, 23 May 2019 - 06:19 AM.

#8 ChrisGTS

ChrisGTS

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Atlanta, GA

Posted 30 May 2019 - 08:59 PM

I have an Orion XT12g (which uses a Synscan hand controller).  As Bill noted, you have to align the telescope with the hand controller first (including putting in the date, time and location), then when the alignment is done, you plug in the cable from whatever device you are using to control the telescope into the hand controller and hit "connect" in SS6.  The app then shows where the telescope is pointing and you can use it to control the telescope from that point on. The Syncan hand controller will not accept date/time/location from SS6.  Bill told me that Synscan has disabled that feature.  It works fine on my Celestron mount, but won't work with the Synscan.

#9 Taylor

Taylor

Apollo

• Loc: Owasso, OK

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:22 PM

I, too, am wondering about this. The synscan dongle usually attaches directly to the mount... no hand controller is needed. Can skysafari work in this configuration? I'm using a skywatcher az-eq6 mount and an Android galaxy phone.

I'm not sure about the other Skywatcher mounts, but the AZ-GTi with built in Skywatcher wifi can utilize SkySafari without the hand controller. 

First step is to align with Synscan Pro app, then launch Skysafari and sync it. 

#10 39.1N84.5W

39.1N84.5W

He asked for it

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:25 PM

I bought the synscan dongle.

#11 c2m2t

c2m2t

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 August 2019 - 09:26 AM

Hi Bill!

I read with some curiosity this thread. I have been following several discussions in the past few months on this subject of controlling HEQ5/Synscan type mounts with Sky Safari. I have an HEQ5 mount that is just 16 months new and have had no success getting SS to connect to the mount. I am using version 6 of SS Pro and have tried both a Skywire and Sky wifi with no ability to connect to the mount. I have fortunately been able to control my Tak NJP and Celestron ASGT mounts with SS with wonderful results. My HEQ5 is my travel mount and getting it to operate with Sky Safari would be huge bonus. I have followed all the correct connection protocols but with no success. 

Any my suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have SS running on both my iPhone and iPad as well as an android tablet.

Looking forward to your comments!!

Best regards, Chris.

#12 39.1N84.5W

39.1N84.5W

He asked for it

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:58 AM

Don't hold your breath. I got a refund for skysafari and just use the Synscan app with Stellarium.

#13 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:23 PM

For those who don't know, Bill aka btschumy is now retired from SC.

• 39.1N84.5W likes this

#14 Willstarnes

Willstarnes

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:09 AM

I’m still struggling with SkySafari 6 Pro (iOS) and SunScan. Tried all the suggestions of connecting SynScan first then SF 6 using the same scope IP and port 11882. No luck at all.

Any ideas?

#15 StarCurious

StarCurious

Ranger 4

• Loc: York Region, Ontario

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:59 PM

Within SkySafari, try to use  IP address 127.0.0.1, Port Number 11882

I do not have the Skywatcher dongle, I have something similar, the SynFiAz:

https://www.cloudyni...ywatcher-orion/

which turned the Orion Starblast AutoTracker to a Skywatcher GOTO mount.

https://www.telescop...nt/p/102781.uts

The AutoTracker does not come with a Hand Control at all, but with the SynFiAz, I now use an Android phone with the SkyWatcher SynScan App as the SkyWatcher HC.  The SynFiAz is set up as a WiFi Hotspot, with no internet access.  The phone wifi  connects to SynFiAz.  The SW SynScan app connects to the now GOTO mount.  Then Connect SkySafari 5 Pro to the SynFiAz as follows:

Settings > Setup > Scope Type -- Skywatcher SynScan, Mount Type: Alt-Az GOTO, Connect via WiFi, IP address 127.0.0.1, Port Number 11882

Since SkySafari 5 Pro is connected, the date and time is set correctly for the mount.

Alignment is now done using the SynScan app.

From this point, I can use SkySafari 5 Pro to GOTO objects.

If I see the SkySafari 5 Pro being disconnected, I go to the Skywatcher SynScan app to reconnect, then the SF5 Pro to reconnect. There is no loss in alignment.  I use an old phone with no sim card, and disable LTE data, and "Forget" all other WiFi SSID's to reduce the chance of this disconnection.

Hope this works with the Skywatcher dongle as well.

Edited by StarCurious, 11 September 2019 - 02:17 PM.

#16 Willstarnes

Willstarnes

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:57 AM

An excellent write up and thank you. I have the built in SynScan Wi-Fi and am using SkySafari 6. Nothing seems to work. I did the same you did with an old iPhone.

Have posted a comment to the SynScan site. Let’s see what they say.

#17 Roger Corbett

Roger Corbett

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 September 2019 - 05:25 PM

Wiil, you are trying this with *two* iOS devices, right?!

It doesn't work with just one.

#18 Willstarnes

Willstarnes

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:50 PM

Yep. Two devices. No screen lock or timeout on both. Join the SynScan Wifi network with both. Startup SynScan app on one and connect. Start up Sky Safari on another and use the IP address of the first device (192.168.4.2) with a port of 11882. The 2nd device cannot seem to connect to the first and i receive the typical error message.

I hear about this working with SS5, but i am using 6. 

Very frustrating. 

#19 Roger Corbett

Roger Corbett

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 September 2019 - 03:29 PM

Well, that's dismaying!  That's a combo I'd like to try.

What are your two devices?  Did I read somewhere (maybe even in this thread!) that it works with iPhones but not iPads or the reverse?

Have you tried downloading the FREE version of SkySafari?  It shouldn't matter, but you never know.  

If I get an AZ-GTI, i'll definitely report back as I own SS 4, 5, and 6 Plus and basics — and iPhones and iPads.

Wasn't there another step by step guide in one of the other threads on the AZ-GTI?  Perhaps that one has some key minor step that must be followed!

#20 Willstarnes

Willstarnes

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 September 2019 - 05:28 PM

Two iPhones - XR and 5s. Have tried the free app also. SynScan also told me the same thing. One thing I didn’t understand originally was that one device connects directly to the telescope first, then the second device actually connects to the first device that is running the SynScan app. I adjusted for that in the still had no success. If I find out anything new I’ll post it ASAP.

#21 Roger Corbett

Roger Corbett

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:44 AM

I was reading that very long thread on the AZ-GTI and, in one set of instructions, they mentioned making sure that the SynScan app remained on top on the first i-device.  In other words, that the SynScan app that is the one running in the foreground on the screen -- and not the settings app or the home screen, etc.  

I'm sure you've probably already followed that, but it was a detail I had not seen in this thread, and seemed like one of those minor gotchas that could be a solution!

#22 Willstarnes

Willstarnes

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:46 AM

Yep and thank you. Made sure that was happening. I intended to reach back out to SynScan again this week to obtain some more help.

#23 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 18 September 2019 - 09:32 AM

Will all these problems be resolved with the better multi-tasking in iOS 13 and iPadOS?

#24 Roger Corbett

Roger Corbett

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:27 AM

Phil, that's an intriguing question!

Will, do let us all know what you discover.  Maybe even start a new thread titled something like “How do I get an AZ-GTI to work with two iPhones? and see if you can prompt input from those who have used the two device set up.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics