•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G vs Celestron CGX

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kf4yre

kf4yre

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:18 PM

Have found a few reviews on the CGX, but haven't been able to find anything recent on the atlas. Anybody got anything new they can tell me about this mount? Like what kind of cables are needed to run it from a laptop, how does the dslr camera cable work, etc. Anything would be helpful. Thanks.

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:32 PM

On paper the CGX is better.  Some early examples had issues.

Consider the EQ6-R, a modern, very cost effective alternative to the Atlas, on which it's based.

#3 mistateo

mistateo

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:34 PM

I have been using an Atlas Pro for the last 2 years and it has been fantastic.  Guiding for a 35 lb payload has been around .6 arc seconds average RMS error in PHD2 with nice round stars.  I have never used the snap port, so I can't comment on that.  I use a shoestring astronomy "USB2EQ5" cable to bypass the hand controller completely and control the mount via EQAscom (frequently referred to as EQMod).  

#4 mistateo

mistateo

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:35 PM

I also have an EQ6-R like bob has mentioned.  Pretty much same performance as the Atlas Pro FWIW.

#5 macdonjh

macdonjh

Soyuz

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:55 PM

but haven't been able to find anything recent on the atlas.

I wonder if that's because the Atlas itself hasn't changed in twenty years? smile.gif   Sorry, I couldn't resist.  Please return to the helpful posts about the EQ6-R and the Atlas Pro.

• wargrafix likes this

#6 wargrafix

wargrafix

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Trinidad

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:34 AM

I wonder if that's because the Atlas itself hasn't changed in twenty years? smile.gif   Sorry, I couldn't resist.  Please return to the helpful posts about the EQ6-R and the Atlas Pro.

I personally really like the atlas pro. It handles my 9.25 so easy!

#7 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 17 April 2019 - 01:57 PM

Unless you really need and will use the Alt/Az configuration (most people end up not using it), then go with the EQ6-R.  Skywatcher is much easier to deal with for parts as well.

• bobzeq25 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics