•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade GPS Rollover patches

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:42 PM

Gday All

Just a heads upthat the first 2 patches for the LX200GPS and "classic" 497 Autostars are now on the StarPatch download site

http://www.stargps.ca/downloads.htm

Audiostars will follow in a day or so,

The patches do not currently auto default to select the GPS bug fix, so if you need to load the patch to fix it, make sure you select that option.

I have tested it several times, but if anyone finds anything unusual, just holler.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

• Kenny V. and selfo like this

#2 Nobile2HD

Nobile2HD

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:43 AM

Sounds good Andrew. Will it simply be the case of purchasing the 505 cable and registration key to enable the fix to be downloaded? Thanks!

#3 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:00 AM

Gday Nobile2HD

Will it simply be the case of purchasing the 505 cable and registration key to enable the fix to be downloaded?

You will need to make or buy or borrow a suitable cable ( based on mount type )

That said, the registration fee is only required if you buy a StarGPS lump and want to integrate it into the handbox firmware, or want to buy the "enhanced" loader functionality.

The patch and "non enhanced" updater are freeware.

The "freeware" updater is fully functional but has speed limitations on it and doesnt do "smart loading"

The enhanced version can run at much higher speeds, and only erases/reloads memory pages that have changed.

#4 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Soyuz

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:23 AM

Which patch is used with a 14" LX200GPS? I don't see it in the list of downloads. It has an Autostar II controller.

#5 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Vostok 1

• Loc: Bloemfontein, South Africa

Posted 18 April 2019 - 01:36 PM

Which patch is used with a 14" LX200GPS? I don't see it in the list of downloads. It has an Autostar II controller.

It looks like Patch LX42ggv21 and Build LX4.2g.rom to me. 

• Jim Davis and EdIII like this

#6 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 18 April 2019 - 04:01 PM

Gday Jim

Which patch is used with a 14" LX200GPS?

Which patch is used with a 14" LX200GPS?

As Piet noted, its the LX42ggv21 and Build LX4.2g.rom

If you are ever confused, just start StarPatch

select the mount/handbox type via the menus then let StarPatch download the correct versions

Unlike Meades ASU, StarPatch cross checks the connected mount against the selected patch as well before loading.

Edited by OzAndrewJ, 18 April 2019 - 04:01 PM.

• Jim Davis likes this

#7 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 18 April 2019 - 04:03 PM

Gday All

Just a heads up that the patches for the 497EP (5CE1) and Audiostars with A3S4 are now loaded.

A3S4 can be used on LX90s, but i strongly suggest people stay with A1F7 for that mount.

• Piet Le Roux likes this

#8 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 19 April 2019 - 05:28 PM

Just a second heads up
Many users may be using a "non GPS" Meade mount but have an early StarGPS NX01 lump.
These lumps are also hit by the bug ( the NX02 are OK )
If you have an NX01, and have a registered copy ( ie 497/Audiostar type), then the handbox patch put out will also correct the NX01 feed.
The owner of StarPatch is also looking at putting in place a means to have the NX01 itself updated, but till then, the handbox patch will work as well. Ref StarPatch site for more details on that
https://www.stargps....tm#GPS-Rollover

Edited by OzAndrewJ, 19 April 2019 - 05:28 PM.

#9 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 19 April 2019 - 09:52 PM

last post,

the RCX400 patch is now tested and working so has also been loaded to the StarPatch site.

( Many thanks to a brave user for testing it for me flowerred.gif  )

Just remember to select the "GPS Rollover" option before loading if you are affected by the bug.

#10 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:31 PM

And then, when we thought it was over, an LX600 owner got hit.bawling.gif

A patch for that will also be up today/tomorrow on the StarPatch site.

This cannot be used for 16" LX600s, but there cant be too many of them :-)

#11 Nobile2HD

Nobile2HD

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:57 PM

Hi Andrew,

Possibly a daft question, but just want to make sure! My PC does not have a serial port so would a serial to USB adaptor work ok with the 505 serial cable do you know?

Thanks again

Rob

#12 Nobile2HD

Nobile2HD

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 April 2019 - 04:04 PM

...actually just spotted an ebay cable with USB advertised for use on the Meade Audiostar, so no need for the adaptor.  I guess this is the obvious option?

#13 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 24 April 2019 - 04:30 PM

Gday Rob

The comms between Hbx and 497Autostar is a simple 3 wire rs232

Any working USB2Serial adapter ( true rs232 not TTL ) should work with a 506 cable,

or you can make your own cable with a few bits. ( Its very simple )

In the early days, many Belkin based adapters appeared to have problems when in Meades download mode.

Currently, the FTDI chipsets appear best, but genuine prolifics also work.

Just there are a lot of cheap knockoff prolifics out there, and not all have good drivers.

#14 nitegeezer

nitegeezer

Galactic Ghost

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:36 PM

Andrew,

It is sure nice having you in our Meade community.  All you provide us is greatly appreciated.

I haven't been near my scope in a while, and have just started reading about this issue, and would like to know if I understand the problem correctly.

From what I have read, the only error is the date that is reported, the lat, lon, and time will all be correct.  Thus, if one does not care what date is reported, no update is required.  

Is this correct?  I am just trying to determine how urgent this patch update is needed.

Thanks much

#15 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Soyuz

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:49 PM

From what I have read, the only error is the date that is reported, the lat, lon, and time will all be correct.  Thus, if one does not care what date is reported, no update is required.  

Is this correct?  I am just trying to determine how urgent this patch update is needed.

With my scope, the date gets set to November 2039. It doesn't matter if the time is right, in November the exact opposite objects are in the sky at that time. So, the go to function just tells me the object I want to go to is has not risen yet.

#16 nitegeezer

nitegeezer

Galactic Ghost

Posted 26 April 2019 - 01:38 PM

I obviously did not think it all the way through!!  It sounds like I better get the patch in before I take the scope out again.

Thanks much for the clarification!!

#17 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 26 April 2019 - 03:37 PM

Gday Chuck

Its only a select group of mounts that are affected, ie my 2002 unit is OK???

Before doing anything, just let your mount get a fix.

If the date is correct, you dont need to do anything.

#18 nitegeezer

nitegeezer

Galactic Ghost

Posted 26 April 2019 - 05:16 PM

Thank you much Andrew. It will be sometime next month before I can give a try. I will keep my fingers crossed until then!

#19 EdIII

EdIII

Vostok 1

• Loc: Florence, SC

Posted 28 April 2019 - 07:05 PM

My dates/times all checked out, but upgraded my 497 Audiostars A4S1 to A1F7 as per Starpatch instructions. I already had the StarPatch icon on my desktop, but it did not work, so downloaded the newer version. Other than that, it went without a hitch. I am not sure what got fixed, but glad all went well.

Ed

#20 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 28 April 2019 - 07:13 PM

Gday Ed

I already had the StarPatch icon on my desktop, but it did not work,

Just as a heads up for others who may have handboxes loaded with A4S1,

one of its "new" bugs was it puts out a carriage return and linefeed to the rs232 port every time the screen changes.

On connecting and going into download mode, the screen changes 2x and this sends 4 unexpected bytes out on the rs232 port, before the real byte that repoorts it has gone into download correctly.

This affected the connection testing of earlier versions of Starpatch.

The way to get around it is to use the latest StarPatch, or manually put the handbox into download/safeload before connecting StarPatch.

#21 Nobile2HD

Nobile2HD

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 April 2019 - 02:16 AM

Hi Andrew,

Will be updating my Audiostar tonight with the updated firmware, just one question; I see that there are a number of patches to select from most of which are already pre-selected, I'm not sure what all of them do, so is it ok to simply to update the controller as is with them selected?

Thanks

Rob

#22 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 30 April 2019 - 04:37 AM

Gday Rob

The basic preselected options should be OK for most normal use.

If you need the GPS Rollover patch, ensure you select it

and deselect any of the StarGPS related patches at the top.

If anything changes, you can simply reload the firmware/patches to suit.

#23 Nobile2HD

Nobile2HD

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 April 2019 - 04:41 PM

Hi Andrew,

Well I attempted the update, but failed. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Here's what I did:

1. Purchased a USB Meade 505 lead from Ebay which was confirmed as a lead for the #497 and Audiostar handsets

2. Connected lead to laptop USB port and to handset and connected handset to telescope

3. Switched on laptop, opened up Starpatch, selected the handset type and update version

4. Went through all the selections making making sure to select the GPS rollover fix

5. Turned on scope. Watched the handset, it did not beep and just went to its usual startup menu '0 to Align' etc

6. Clicked on 'update handset' in Starpatch anyway

7. It asked if I knew the serial port I selected 'No'. It asked if I wanted Starpatch to to determine port I selected 'Yes'. I then got a message saying 'Unable to locate handset'

8  Did the same thing in Safe Load and got the same result.

Any ideas? Thanks again!!!

Rob

#24 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 30 April 2019 - 04:47 PM

Gday Rob

Purchased a USB Meade 505 lead from Ebay which was confirmed as a lead for the #497 and Audiostar handsets

IIRC, this was a dedicated converter and prewired rj connector unit, vs a std USB to serial converter with DB9 end plus a second cable with  DB9 to rj connector???

If so, when you plug in the converter, does it show up as available ( and correctly installed ) in device manager???

Edited by OzAndrewJ, 30 April 2019 - 04:48 PM.

#25 Nobile2HD

Nobile2HD

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:01 PM

Hi Andrew,

The cable simply has a USB connector on one end and a 4pin connector for the handset on the other. A note came with the cable stating the following:

"This cable uses Silicon Labs Chip set, Windows should install the USB driver for you, if not you can download it from here"  etc etc.

I downloaded the driver, and in Device Manager under Other Devices there is now 'CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller'... so I assume it has correctly installed, if its the right thing that is?

Thanks Rob

Edited by Nobile2HD, 30 April 2019 - 05:02 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics