•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade GPS Rollover patches

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#26 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:17 PM

Gday Rob

I havent heard of that chipset so cant comment, but if it is not showing any errors, the next test then is to see if it is wired correctly

You need a very fine piece of wire and will short the Tx and Rx pins in the Rj connector.

Then send a command using something like Hyperterm ( You can also use my PEC editor to do this. )

On sending a command, you should see it echo back if it is working and wired correctly.

Before doing this, ensure there is no 5V power coming out of the adapter to the RJ plug

it should only have 3 wires "connected"

I have attached the wiring for a 507, but the 505 is wired identically, it just doesnt have the 2 unused slots on either side.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

507 Cable.jpg

#27 Nobile2HD

Nobile2HD

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:40 PM

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the advice again, I'm not sure how to perform the test with a USB connector wired in? I may return the cable as it clearly doesn't work and look for another solution.

Thanks again

Rob

#28 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:54 PM

Gday Rob

I'm not sure how to perform the test with a USB connector wired in?

Dont understand????

You just plug your cable into the laptop/PC, but not to the handbox.

Use a bit of fine wire to short the 2 gold connectors for Tx and Rx ( 4 and 5 on my piccy ) and send a command.

It should go out and then mirror back if the connector is working and wired correctly

• EdIII likes this

#29 Nobile2HD

Nobile2HD

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:21 PM

Hi Andrew,

Sorry i was getting confused, i understand better now. Will give this a go tomorrow and see what happens

Thanks rob

#30 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Aurora

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 30 April 2019 - 09:06 PM

Meade just sent me a firmware update for the LX200 GPS to test. I installed it, and it seems to work fine. Meade is still testing it, but should release it soon.

#31 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 01 May 2019 - 05:19 PM

Gday All
Just a heads up
The last stage patches are now out for the 497/Audiostar type handboxes.
This final patch is only required if you have a faulty "StarGPS NX01" receiver, but didnt buy the full integration pack
Ie you just bought the receiver unit only and it sets the date using the :SC commands
If you have a "registered" copy of the integration patch, you do not "need" to load this last patch.

• EdIII likes this

#32 Nobile2HD

Nobile2HD

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 04 May 2019 - 02:31 AM

Hi Andrew,

Just to provide an update ref my situation. It appears I had issues with the driver install for the USB cable. That's now fixed and the patched software loaded fine without any issues and the date is now correct! 

Just to say thank you for all the work you do here and for the support you have provided me, its very much appreciated. Many thanks.

Rob

#33 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 04 May 2019 - 03:34 AM

Gday Rob

Good to hear it all worked in the end.

As mentioned, i hadnt heard of that chipset, so had no idea how it works driver wise.

#34 Bob White

Bob White

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 May 2019 - 01:29 PM

Hi Andrew, I hear tell Meade is working on a GPS fix ROM for LX200 GPS Autostar II's.

I have one of the first released (in 2003) 14" LX200GPS scopes.

Have not updated it in a while ever since the last Meade ROM and your last patch but seems I now have to for this GPS fix.

While I always use StarGPS and your/Richards patches since like 2003, any idea if they release a new ROM you will patch that? 
If not and they do release a ROM, I might just stay on this older ROM and your patch.

Thoughts?

Bob

Edited by Bob White, 13 May 2019 - 01:30 PM.

#35 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 13 May 2019 - 04:39 PM

Gday Bob

Meade have actually released some of their new fixed roms (4.2k), but not much has changed internally for the LX200s, so i probably wont waste time modifying the 4.2g patches to suit the new rom.

We posted new updated patches for 4.2g on the StarPatch site several weeks ago, so if you already use our patches, just go to the StarPatch site and grab the latest patch, as it has fixes for the inbuilt GPS and "plug in" NX01 StarGPS lumps.

All you need to do is import the spf file, manually select the "Fix GPS Rollover" option

and after that, just load as per normal.

• EdIII likes this

#36 Bob White

Bob White

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 May 2019 - 06:20 PM

Gday Bob

Meade have actually released some of their new fixed roms (4.2k), but not much has changed internally for the LX200s, so i probably wont waste time modifying the 4.2g patches to suit the new rom.

We posted new updated patches for 4.2g on the StarPatch site several weeks ago, so if you already use our patches, just go to the StarPatch site and grab the latest patch, as it has fixes for the inbuilt GPS and "plug in" NX01 StarGPS lumps.

All you need to do is import the spf file, manually select the "Fix GPS Rollover" option

and after that, just load as per normal.

Just did that.  Same for my other ETX scopes. Thanks!
Was just wondering what might be in the new Meade ROMs and basically from what you say nothing other than the GPS fix.

As always thanks a ton for all you do for the Meade product lines.  Without you things would be grim.

Bob

#37 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 13 May 2019 - 07:00 PM

Gday Bob

For the LX200s, it was the GPS fix, a new serial command to remotely start tracking and some other minor changes.

Last time i looked, they hadnt released the 497s patches, but had done an Audiostar version.

The Audiostar has lots of new stuff,but most appears related to new models. Still digging there.

• EdIII likes this

#38 Tris

Tris

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 May 2019 - 07:24 AM

Hi Andrew, I've read the thread but I'm struggling.

I have an LX200GPS UHTC but not ACF scope which has a GPS bump on top of the left fork (which doesn't look like an NX01 or 02 that you picture). The scope has been fine but now thinks it is 2099. 

Do I need to buy a new GPS module or can I patch my Autostar 2 handset (version 4.2g) copyright 2001) so that it will read the date right? I have a lead  which takes the autostar to a male USB via a converter. Do I plug this straight into my PC, or through the control panel in the scope? 

I can see the patch 42ggv21 that you supply. I've downloaded that, but I can't open it on my PC.

Can you help?  Should I use the pay-for patch or the free one? I am happy to pay.

All the best

Tris

#39 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:24 PM

Gday Tris

You dont "need" a new GPS module, just patching the 4.2g firmware will fix it ( and include a lot of other fixes/enhancements ), or, you can load the latest 4.2k from Meade. That fixes the GPS bug but leaves all the old bugs in there.

If you already have a USB2Serial converter and 507 cable, you just connect your scope to the mount as if you were connecting for a planetarium guider.

After that, you just use the StarPatch utility to open the patch file, you manually select the "Fix GPS Rollover" option ( leave the others at their defaults ) and send the patched rom to the mount.

There are detailed instructions for this in the StarPatch site

https://www.stargps....l.htm#starpatch

The only difference is in the drawing, as it shows a 497 type mount.

The instructions are the same, but the cable goes to the rs232 port on the mount, not the Hbx as shown.

As to paid or not, the freeware version is fully functional but runs at slower speeds and has no optimisation involved.

https://www.stargps.ca/starpatch.htm

You can buy a fully functioning version of the firmware if you want, but for most people with ASII units that is not required as you currently only do a load every 10 years or so :-)

If you want to say thanks to Chris, there is a small $5 donate button under the freeware instructions, but its not required.

#40 Tris

Tris

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 May 2019 - 02:17 PM

Thanks Andrew. That's really helpful. I've made the paypal donation and I can see the free patch that I need. But now I can't connect to the 'scope with my laptop! (via autostar suite)

I was always able to connect to my previous LX90 but this is the first time I have tried to connect to the LX200 (which is a GPS non pre-ACF model, new to me). I'm using a new 507 cable and a new (non-prolific) (FTIP?) serial to USB converter which says the driver is correct and that it is working correctly. I'm on Com port 6 which is what the device is saying it is. (I've tried all the other ports and they give an identical but different error message immediately on trying). Port 6 spends a few seconds trying and then says Communication Timeout or similar.

I've checked all the settings Baud rates etc

I'm using the  232 port next to the HBX one (but I've tried both)

I've tried with GPS on and off.

I've made sure the scope is awake and knows the date and time

Home sensors are off

The scope is polar mounted on a wedge

I've run out of other ideas, now!

Edited by Tris, 26 May 2019 - 02:17 PM.

#41 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 26 May 2019 - 04:56 PM

Gday Tris

The 507 cable is (functionally) the same as the 505 you would have used with the LX90, only it has a 6 pin connector not a 4 pin. Only 3 wires are used so it is pretty bullet proof.

The rs232 port alongside the hbx port is the correct one to use.

There is no need to be aligned etc, just let it boot until it is in a stable menu and you "should" be able to connect.

You could always try downloading my PEC editor

http://members.optus...om.au/johansea/

It has an autodetect facility that will try all ports at all bauds to see if it can find a Meade scope.

If it cant find one, then the next step is to test if the converter or cable is really working correctly.

Where did the 507 cable come from????? )

Also, do you have access to a multimeter????

#42 Tris

Tris

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 May 2019 - 06:10 AM

Great! I'll download the PEC editor and try that. And yes, I do have a multimeter.

At risk of an irreverent reply, what should I do with my multimeter? lol.gif

#43 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 27 May 2019 - 03:15 PM

Gday Tris

At risk of an irreverent reply, what should I do with my multimeter?    ->    smiley-char145.gif 

Go look at post 26

Use it in continuity mode to confirm that the adapter is wired correctly and has no broken wires.

If OK, plug the USB adapter into the PC and the 507 into the adapter.

Then use a very fine piece of wire to short the Tx and Rx pins together and use my app to send a command

( set it to silent timeout first )

If the command you send mirrors back in the log screen, you know the converter is working properly and the 507 is wired correctly.

#44 Tris

Tris

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 June 2019 - 08:25 AM

Gday Ed

Just as a heads up for others who may have handboxes loaded with A4S1,

one of its "new" bugs was it puts out a carriage return and linefeed to the rs232 port every time the screen changes.

On connecting and going into download mode, the screen changes 2x and this sends 4 unexpected bytes out on the rs232 port, before the real byte that repoorts it has gone into download correctly.

This affected the connection testing of earlier versions of Starpatch.

The way to get around it is to use the latest StarPatch, or manually put the handbox into download/safeload before connecting StarPatch.

I've finally got the LX200 GPS to talk to the laptop (I downloaded a new driver from the Ascom site, but also, it will only work on the right hand one of the two 232 ports on the scope). Anyway, they talk and Meade Autostar suite works. So tried the patch. I ran into the problem you describe above. Tried the 999 start and the handset says it's downloading, but in this mode, the scope and the laptop aren't communicating again, and neither can starpatch find the scope (which it previously found perfectly). Any thoughts Andrew?

#45 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 02 June 2019 - 08:50 AM

Gday Tris

I've finally got the LX200 GPS to talk to the laptop (I downloaded a new driver from the Ascom site,

ASCOM drivers are irrelevant when it comes to loading firmware.

All you need is Meades ASU or StarPatch

but also, it will only work on the right hand one of the two 232 ports on the scope)

That sounds odd.

Tried the 999 start and the handset says it's downloading, but in this mode, the scope and the laptop aren't communicating again,

In 999/safeload mode, only the left hand rs232 port works

If you can connect and communicate normally using the right hand port

then you should be able to do an update in normal mode, but not safeload mode.

If you cannot connect at all using the left hand port ( ie in normal or safeload mode ), then you may have a damaged channel in the rs232 converter chip??? More tests required to test for that.

#46 Tris

Tris

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 June 2019 - 10:11 AM

Thanks Andrew. I'll fiddle around some more. I've just tried again. 

The normal mode update through the right hand port ends with an error message saying "Numblocks "failed to clear last dpage DX2F" and then it can't find the scope when I try to use the 999 code on the handset.

And on the left hand 232 port, the laptop and Starpatch can't find the handset. 

#47 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 02 June 2019 - 04:40 PM

Gday Tris

The normal mode update through the right hand port ends with an error message saying "Numblocks "failed to clear last dpage DX2F"

That doesnt sound good, but should not affect safeload.

Again, in safeload mode, only the left port can be used, so just for info, can you connect normally using the left port????

if so, it should work in safeload mode.

#48 467headman

467headman

Lift Off

• Loc: Milw. Wi

Posted 02 June 2019 - 08:28 PM

Well I have been try to get the gps working on my Meade LX200 gps for a week and no mater witch patch same thing gps date 17-Oct-2099 ? any help please

#49 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 02 June 2019 - 09:35 PM

Gday Headman

How are you loading the patch

ie Meades new firmware with ASU or our patch with StarPatch???

If the latter, the "Fix GPS Rollover" option is not selected by default,

you need to tell the patcher you want to install that bit before loading

#50 Tiebreaker

Tiebreaker

Vostok 1

• Loc: Hawaii

Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:11 AM

Hi All,

I just wanted to give a shout-out to Chris Carson of Pixsoft.  I have an LX90 GPS with Audiostar that was experiencing the rollover problem.  I wanted to install the patch myself but ran into some "inconveniences":

1. My scope is mounted on a pier in my backyard observatory and I don't have an appropriate laptop that I can take out there.

2. I didn't want to bring the scope inside to my PC.

3. I don't think I have the right cables anyway.

So I contact Chris and asked whether he would do the upgrade if I sent him my handset and he agreed to do it for a very modest fee plus shipping of course.  He received the handset, did the upgrade and sent the handset back all within a day!  I received the handset in the mail, tested it and it works like new.  Thanks, Chris!

Aloha! 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics