•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade GPS Rollover patches

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#51 Tris

Tris

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:30 AM

Gday Tris

That doesnt sound good, but should not affect safeload.

Again, in safeload mode, only the left port can be used, so just for info, can you connect normally using the left port????

if so, it should work in safeload mode.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

Andrew I think this is now sorted out. The problem with the left hand RS232 port seems to have been a loose connection - I have yet to resolve that but will get or make a better cable and if that doesn't sort it out I'll look at the port itself.

The update went well (13 minutes) and seems to have sorted out the GPS waytogo.gif . 

I have another (new) Autostar II handset which I thought I would switch to now as the old one is a bit cranky. I put the new one on and the GPS is still fine and finds the right time and date, so I guess I don't need to run the update again? Am I right in thinking that the Autostar II handset is basically dumb, and the updating was all to the scope's brain in the base? (I've changed all the other settings in the new handset to where they need to be now). 

Anyway, you've been an absolute star and I am most grateful for all your help.  bow.gif

#52 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 03 June 2019 - 04:13 PM

Gday Tris

Am I right in thinking that the Autostar II handset is basically dumb

Yep, its a very basic button box only.

All the smarts are in the base of the mount, and swapping handboxes will have no effect

#53 467headman

467headman

Lift Off

• Loc: Milw. Wi

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:08 PM

Gday Headman

How are you loading the patch

ie Meades new firmware with ASU or our patch with StarPatch???

If the latter, the "Fix GPS Rollover" option is not selected by default,

you need to tell the patcher you want to install that bit before loading

did the Meades new firmware 42k with ASU or our patch with StarPatch 42g then same thing date 20-OCT 2099 on jack of all trades scope software

#54 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:30 PM

Gday 467headman

Not sure i understand where you are seeing the data in my app, as it gets several versions of data.

The patch does not fix the "reported" GPS data strings,

it only fixes the way that data gets converted when setting the mounts clocks during booting.

ie as a proper test, use the handbox to read the displayed data after getting a fix.

( use hold mode for say 6 seconds then release, That brings up the alternate menus

and one of them wil be local date )

If that is correct,then all is well.

#55 467headman

467headman

Lift Off

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:50 PM

Gday 467headman

Not sure i understand where you are seeing the data in my app, as it gets several versions of data.

it only fixes the way that data gets converted when setting the mounts clocks during booting.

ie as a proper test, use the handbox to read the displayed data after getting a fix.

( use hold mode for say 6 seconds then release, That brings up the alternate menus

so in Jack of all trades ver:4.8.0.0 gps date is going to be off ? Ok did not try that I will give it a shot alternate menus that's new too Thank you.

Edited by 467headman, 05 June 2019 - 10:50 PM.

#56 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:55 PM

Gday 497headman

so in Jack of all trades ver:4.8.0.0 gps date is going to be off ?

Quite possibly, as that uses a different function to read the date

If you use the GPS tab to watch the data streaming in, or use the serial command to get gps, it will return the raw ( incorrect ) data.

My app lists lots of data, both raw and converted, but if the local date is reported correctly at the left hand side ( under "handbox" ),

then all is well. ( ref attached grab of my dud receiver data )

The date listed under "GPS" is what the receiver has sent

I really should look at tweaking the display of the possibly corrupt data grin.gif

MyScope.jpg

• 467headman and NickInSac like this

#57 467headman

467headman

Lift Off

Posted 06 June 2019 - 09:13 PM

Gday 467headman

did you make jack of all trades

#58 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 06 June 2019 - 09:25 PM

Gday 467headman

did you make jack of all trades

Yep.

#59 Lynn-Stargazer

Lynn-Stargazer

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Wolfforth, Tx.

Posted 01 September 2019 - 09:44 PM

Ok, I just did the last patch today (4.2l), I then trained my drives this evening before Sunset. Tried the automatic alignment and it wouldn't get a GPS fix for the first time since I've owned my telescope for the last 10 years! I found out that the update wiped all my location and time data (I did a backup before the download but don't know how to put it back on) so I put it all back in. Did the automatic alignment and it was pointing down slightly under the horizon wanting me to align on Capella which is way above the horizon! I rebooted my telescope and found out that all my location and time data was back to the year 2001 and it said I lived in Irvine California!!!! I'm very fed up with these updates that are not working on my telescope. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

#60 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 01 September 2019 - 10:44 PM

Gday Lynn-Stargazer

I have not heard of 4.2l doing anything as specific as what you mentioned, but i havent dug much into it either.

I suggest using the Freeware StarPatch loader to load the latest patch (v21) for the older ( and tried and tested ) 4.2g firmware.

https://www.stargps.ca/downloads.htm

#61 Lynn-Stargazer

Lynn-Stargazer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 September 2019 - 10:57 PM

I went from g to l because it didn't have any of the alignment stars in it. It just said goto the brightest star in the fov and all of them were pretty dim. So I chose one then it went to the second set of stars and there were no stars in the fov. So I had to slew quite a ways to find any at all. After it said it was done I told it to goto to Juipter and it was at least two telescope diameters away from it. So I knew that it wasn't going to work. I did this twice from reboot with the same results.

#62 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 02 September 2019 - 12:00 AM

Gday Lynn-StarGazer

I went from g to l because it didn't have any of the alignment stars in it.

Dont understand???

4.2g is at least 10 years old and has all the align stars in it

( there is a menu setting to get it to show the real names instead of the dumbed down "brightest" ).

The "official" 4.2k came out to fix the GPS rollover, but they screwed up the align and HiPrec stars ( plus a few other things ), so thats what you might be thinking of

They then released 4.2l which fixed the align stars but changed other things.

We have not bothered to patch either k or l, we just fixed the old 4.2g to add a fix for the GPS rollover.

#63 Lynn-Stargazer

Lynn-Stargazer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 September 2019 - 12:07 AM

Sorry, I was frustrated and got my letters mixed up. G was great till the GPS went wonkers. So I did the k then l. Am I the only one having these problems with k and l?

#64 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 02 September 2019 - 12:15 AM

Gday Lynn-Stargazer

Lots of people had problems with k, which is why L came out

There are reports from some that they cant load L and others are reporting some odd use.

As per above, we dont intend to look at any new bugs in it or patch any old ones, but we know a lot of "non ps related" changes have been made.

We also know that 4.2g plus the latest patch works and doesnt introduce any new problems whilst fixing the rollover, so its your choice,

#65 Lynn-Stargazer

Lynn-Stargazer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 September 2019 - 12:30 AM

So I need "PatchLX42ggv21.spf"? I've been getting my patches from Meade.

#66 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 02 September 2019 - 12:42 AM

Gday Lynn-Stargazer

Meade dont release "patches", they just release new firmwares.

Myself and Richard Seymour have been writing selectable patches that modify the formal Meade firmware to fix bugs and add enhancements.

StarPatch is a third party app written to load the firmwares in a more robust manner than Meades ASU updater, and it also allows for live integration of patch options.

As such, you install StarPatch on your PC

You then select the handbox type as "ASII LX200GPS" via the menus

You then use the app to download the correct Meade rom file and the *.spf patch.

You then load the *v21.spf into StarPatch and you will see a whole list of options.

The basic ones are preselected, so leave them as is, and ensure the "Fix GPS Rollover" one is selected.

Then hit go and it will load the modified firmware.

It wil reboot and all should work properly, tho based on your current experience, you may need to redo your drive trains

• EdIII likes this

#67 Lynn-Stargazer

Lynn-Stargazer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 September 2019 - 12:49 AM

The drive train is nothing! The patching I'm scared of! I'll trying tomorrow (really after I get some sleep) which is today! Lol
I'll let you know if it works out tomorrow my evening weather permitting. Thanks for the help.

#68 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 02 September 2019 - 01:05 AM

Gday Lynn-Stargazer

The patching I'm scared of!

Its no different to using ASU to load firmware like you already have.

ie start app, import correct file, ( select patch option if required ) hit go

Unless there is something physically wrong with your board, there is also an embedded safeload code section, so even if something goes wrong ( which it wont as StarPatch wont start unless its happy ), you can recover.

#69 Lynn-Stargazer

Lynn-Stargazer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 September 2019 - 09:27 AM

Ok, so how do I get started? Does your software work thru the Meade ASU Autostar Suite? Or do I need to download your version of it?

#70 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 02 September 2019 - 04:31 PM

Gday Lynn-Stargazer

You dont use my software, i write the patches, not the loader app.

As per above, you need to download and install the freeware StarPatch application

https://www.stargps.ca/downloads.htm

It has full instructions in it, or just follow the instructions i posted above

• EdIII likes this

#71 Lynn-Stargazer

Lynn-Stargazer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 September 2019 - 05:46 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! My telescope works like it did before the GPS wonkers thing. 😀

#72 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 05 September 2019 - 04:34 PM

Gday Lynn-Stargazer

My telescope works like it did before

No it doesnt.

As you have also loaded the patch, it now works better wink.gif

• EdIII likes this

#73 Lynn-Stargazer

Lynn-Stargazer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 September 2019 - 07:40 PM

I guess I should have said that with your help my telescope works as perfectly as it did before that April GPS screw up and that supposedly fix from Meade that made it worse than ever. I knew it was going to work when my telescope told me I was in a different location and showed me my current location! Plus after my two star alignment (I was a bit anxious on that part as none of the named stars were in my fov in my eyepiece) but once I slewed to them and I told it to goto Juipter it was in my fov but slightly near the bottom but all it's moons were visible. Then onto Saturn same results. So I just centered it and it stayed that way perfectly in the middle. So I'm very happy with the end results from your patch!!!! 😀😁

#74 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:01 PM

Gday Lynn-Stargazer

and I told it to goto Juipter it was in my fov but slightly near the bottom

Actually, that is one of the enhancements in the patch. lol.gif

The standard firmware uses very cut down calculations for planets ( and the moon ) so can be off a bit at times.

Only problem is the original firmware calculates planets in J2000

The patch corrects this to do Jnow calcs, so planetary gotos "should" be a lot better than before.

If you want to properly test how wel the align and gotos work, you should only use stars.

Edited by OzAndrewJ, 05 September 2019 - 08:02 PM.

#75 Lynn-Stargazer

Lynn-Stargazer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:06 PM

So are you saying that I somehow missed the patch? I know the display shows the "g" at the end.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics