Maybe it is time to start an own thread for this Building Project. I wasn't supposed to start this Project, but destiny (or Synta) decided otherwise… So first some background.
This all started in 2016, when I decided to buy a SkyWatcher Stargate 500P. I had been doing succesfull L&P imaging with my SW400P for years and SW300P before that, so I was anticipating similar decent quality of optics.
But after almost a year of unsuccesfull attempts to get even one decent capture, I realised it's not the seeing. I set up both my old SW400P and the 500P side to side and made a comparison by switching my imaging train from scope to scope in turns for multiple times in consequent evenings. Results were clear; SW400P performs, but 500P not. Not even when apertures were masked equal. Stacked comparison images below.
Something was wrong and it was not collimation, so I started to do star testing. That revealed a bad print-through in the mirror and also some correction problems.
I did a reclamation to my vendor, who started a process with the European distributor, who again contacted the factory. It took 8 months to get a new tested replacement mirror from the factory. I was angry because of the slow process, but happy to get a new mirror and have the problem dealt with. Or so I thought… When finally there was some clear weather, I star tested the new mirror and found it to be even worse. It had similar print-through, but now also astigmatism and even worse correction problem:
It was clear that Synta was not able to deliver anything decent and my vendor had disappeared during the process. So whatever I would try there, it would take a long time again and end result would be unsure. I decided I would need a new mirror from somewhere else. And if I do that, why not order a bigger mirror while I'm at it...
And here my story really begins: I have this Stargate 500P from which I am going to salvage the goto base, focuser and some other parts. Faulty optics and rest of the parts I will propably donate to some local astronomy club. Then I will need to modify the goto-base wider to accept the new bigger OTA I will build. And new 600mm F4 optics from Nicholl Optical, already ordered, to be used in that OTA. So it's all or nothing now! Let the story begin and hope there is a good end in this story