•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

cant get wifi unit updated w new firmware

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 imrj

imrj

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:05 PM

so I bought the wifi unit a couple months ago so its pretty new, i was able recently to run the firmware update on HC, Starsense and Wifi , but while the HC and starsense updated fine, no matter how many times I try I cant get it to update the wifi, it always says it failed....it does see all 3 devices and the skylink software works fine otherwise, i just cant get firmware updated.....any ideas?

#2 imrj

imrj

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:06 PM

sorry is a 8se, and i am updating via USB into HC.....

#3 Paul Skee

Paul Skee

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Orange County, CA (near Disneyland)

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:49 PM

To my knowledge there is no firmware update for the Celestron SkyPortal WiFi module. CFM will update only the HC and Motor control boards of the mount. The Starsense HC and camera are also supported, however there has been a along period of time since the last camera update was issued.

http://software.cele...pdates/CFM/CFM/

#4 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Vanguard

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:21 AM

If you had an Evolution,  in the latest version of CFM that I recently beta-tested  it now attempts to update the 'WiFi Bridge' (whatever that is) and reports "update failed". I reported this in TeamCelestron a few weeks ago and a firmware engineer commented that some files still need to be added., Maybe this version has since been released into the public domain? But if your SkyPortal external WiFi accessory is working fine, I suggest you don't worry.. The latest Evolution motor and HC updates embraced improvements to Evolution third generation WiFi, so you are probably up to date if an SE8. 

#5 skaiser

skaiser

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: dallas Texas

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:40 AM

All. Please note, per a conversation on the team celestron web site.

“The WiFi modules can not be updated through the HC.

The manufacturer expects that update command be sent through the WiFi interface.”

this statement was made by their expert.

so, if they do come out with a update for the WiFi module, we will need to do this via a CFM WiFi connection.

per Paul and Noah, I agree there is no update available for the WiFi module yet.

#6 NMBob

NMBob

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 28 May 2019 - 05:51 PM

Just ran into this. First update with a SkyPortal attached to my Evo. Not sure if it changed any firmware or not. I think I just checked for updates a few weeks ago. It always goes through and looks like it is updating everything. Did get the newer version of CFM this time. Failed to update the bridge. All still seems OK with the dongle. Doesn't look like it helped the internal WiFi or anything.

Geeze. If the wifi can't be updated through HC/CFM why does it even show up? They are a strange bunch. smile.gif

Bob

Edited by NMBob, 28 May 2019 - 05:52 PM.

#7 astrovoyeur

astrovoyeur

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston

Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:10 PM

I just received an email from Team Celestron yesterday 6-12 there were several new firmware updates available for several devices, one being the Skyportal wifi adapter.  However I can't find any info on how to download and apply the firmware update.    

Do any of you know of a link or procedure I can use? 

Thanks

Jeff

#8 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:44 PM

I just received an email from Team Celestron yesterday 6-12 there were several new firmware updates available for several devices, one being the Skyportal wifi adapter.  However I can't find any info on how to download and apply the firmware update.    

Do any of you know of a link or procedure I can use? 

Thanks

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I do see that those updates have now just been released to the public, which is quite surprising as they did not undergo any beta testing at TeamCelestron.  

In any case, just plug in all your gear (hand control, SkyPortal WiFi adapter, StarSense camera, etc.) that you might have and then follow my "how to" article for updating the NexStar+/StarSense hand controls:

https://www.nexstars...om/Firmware.htm

CFM will update everything it finds that it knows how to deal with.

I'll be updating my website to make this clearer now that the first new WiFi module firmware has been released.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.NexStarSite.com

Edited by Michael_Swanson, 13 June 2019 - 11:44 PM.

#9 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Vanguard

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:29 PM

I have a feeling that it is an update to the HC/mount rather than to a SkyPortal external WiFi accessory. If the latter was updatable surely steps would have been taken to improve the diabolical first generation and less than ideal secind generation units?

My belief is that the problem now resolved is that whilst the Third Generation of Celestron WiFi is vastly superior (n.b. I have owned all three and can testify this) if you walk out of range then back you cannot simply reconnect to an already aligned scope. This meant a complete restart with notable ramifications for Astrophotography. The update fixes this and my guess is that a loss of wifi signal puts the mount into 'hibernation' rather than 'sleep/off' (but I don't know the precise detail).

Edited by Noah4x4, 13 June 2019 - 11:31 PM.

#10 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:45 PM

I have a feeling that it is an update to the HC/mount rather than to a SkyPortal external WiFi accessory. If the latter was updatable surely steps would have been taken to improve the diabolical first generation and less than ideal secind generation units?

My belief is that the problem now resolved is that whilst the Third Generation of Celestron WiFi is vastly superior (n.b. I have owned all three and can testify this) if you walk out of range then back you cannot simply reconnect to an already aligned scope. This meant a complete restart with notable ramifications for Astrophotography. The update fixes this and my guess is that a loss of wifi signal puts the mount into 'hibernation' rather than 'sleep/off' (but I don't know the precise moment detail).

The current public version of CFM running on my computer just downloaded what seems to be new firmware for the stand-alone SkyPortal WiFi module and the embedded WiFi module in Evolution and Astro Fi mounts.  A recent email announcement from TeamCelestron.com indicates this is to "fix a bug in WiFi which could prevent reconnecting to the mount under specific conditions".  So it is definitely an update to the WiFi module itself and yes, it is related just to reconnection problems.

That same TeamCelestron.com announcment also discussed new firmware for the motorized focuser and the CGX/CGXL mounts.  The announcement from TeamCelestron.com indicates that would be to "fix a bug in USB which can make StarSense more reliable when using CPWI"  (I'm sure they meant it will fix a bug that makes StarSense somewhat unreliable when using CPWI.)  That firmware does not seem to be currently downloaded by CFM.

So...I've shot off an email to Celestron asking what exactly is going on...

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

#11 astrovoyeur

astrovoyeur

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:34 PM

The notice clearly states there is a firmware update for the skyportal wifi adapter. 

Greetings,
You are receiving because you have an account which is signed
up as a member of the public beta tester group on TeamCelestron.com

We have released new firmware for the following mounts.
CGX, CGX-L, Evolution, and Astro Fi.

We have also released firmware for the following 2 accessories
Focuser
WiFi Accessory (SkyPortal WiFi Accessory).

Relative to the current public release, this beta has the following updates
and features:
(1) CGX, CGXL, and Focuser: fix to bug in USB which can make StarSense more
reliable when using CPWI

(2) AstroFi, Evolution and WiFi Accessory: Fix to bug in WiFi which could
prevent reconnecting to the mount under specific conditions

All of the firmware is available in a single archive which can be found at
the link below.
http://teamcelestron...0&t=1437#p17382

--
derik DeVecchio
Team Celestron Admin
ddevecchio@celestron.com

Mike per your suggestion I attempted to update the firmware by plugging in the SP wifi adapter and my v5 HC into my mount and using CFM  v2.7.9144 to update, however it failed to detect my SP wifi adapter.  You might get clarification on the procedure.   Someone early in this thread said they were told by TC to update SP wifi over a wifi connection but never said how.

All. Please note, per a conversation on the team celestron web site.

“The WiFi modules can not be updated through the HC.

The manufacturer expects that update command be sent through the WiFi interface.”

this statement was made by their expert.

Thanks

Jeff

Edited by astrovoyeur, 14 June 2019 - 06:36 PM.

#12 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 15 June 2019 - 06:17 PM

Yep, I've already asked for clarification on what can be updated via serial/USB and what needs to be updated via WiFi.  I have part of the answer but still getting some details.

I can say that I've determined the currently available public CFM and WiFi firmware are not the one the TeamCelestron.com announcement is about.  The link in that announcement message goes to what seems to be an unrelated message with beta CFM/firmware.  I haven't been able to determine yet if there is another topic at TeamCelestron that has the correct firmware or if that is in fact the correct topic.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

#13 astrovoyeur

astrovoyeur

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 June 2019 - 09:40 PM

Yep, I've already asked for clarification on what can be updated via serial/USB and what needs to be updated via WiFi.  I have part of the answer but still getting some details.

I can say that I've determined the currently available public CFM and WiFi firmware are not the one the TeamCelestron.com announcement is about.  The link in that announcement message goes to what seems to be an unrelated message with beta CFM/firmware.  I haven't been able to determine yet if there is another topic at TeamCelestron that has the correct firmware or if that is in fact the correct topic.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

I can say with confidence its certainly doesn't work via the hand controller.   I could only get CFM to detect the SkyPortal wifi adapter over wifi and that was very unreliable.   The other problem I ran into was when the wifi direct connection was made, there was no way for CFM to download the updates as there was no internet and there was no option to steer CFM to a local firmware file. 

#14 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 16 June 2019 - 12:24 AM

I can say with confidence its certainly doesn't work via the hand controller.   I could only get CFM to detect the SkyPortal wifi adapter over wifi and that was very unreliable.   The other problem I ran into was when the wifi direct connection was made, there was no way for CFM to download the updates as there was no internet and there was no option to steer CFM to a local firmware file. 

It is a little more complicated than that as it depends upon the version of hand control and the model of WiFi module.  

CFM only uses the locally available firmware when it is actually loading firmware into devices.  The trick is to connect to your Internet connection (i.e. home wifi), let it download the latest firmware and then on the Options menu, select Work Offline and close CFM. Then connect your laptop's WiFi to the Celestron WiFi signal and restart CFM.  Finally, proceed to update devices via WiFi.

I'm still sorting out all the options for updating the 3 generations of external WiFi modules and internal WiFi modules in the Evolution and Astro Fi.  Once I have all the variations I will post an article at my website.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

• saguaro likes this

#15 astrovoyeur

astrovoyeur

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 June 2019 - 11:54 AM

It is a little more complicated than that as it depends upon the version of hand control and the model of WiFi module.  

CFM only uses the locally available firmware when it is actually loading firmware into devices.  The trick is to connect to your Internet connection (i.e. home wifi), let it download the latest firmware and then on the Options menu, select Work Offline and close CFM. Then connect your laptop's WiFi to the Celestron WiFi signal and restart CFM.  Finally, proceed to update devices via WiFi.

Yes I figured that out, actually you are better off with no HC at all, however the package provided by TC includes the new firmware already in WifiAccessory folder as WifiAccessory_App_3.1.9120.cfm and WifiAccessory_BOOT_3.1.9120.cfm.    The problem is the CFM  provided by TC and configured with a debugger doesn't detect the wifiadapter.  When I replace the CFM with the newest v9144 it suffers with the same problem and doesn't detect the skyportal device.   So I assume the problem is being caused by the debugger.  

I can successfully connect to the skyportal device with CFM 9144 in its own folder but it won't update beyond the v2.00 firmware thats already on the device.    What's even stranger is CFM2.7.9144 should have included the most current version of WifiAccessory which should be at least v2.0.0  but instead included v 0.1.2222 and when it checks online it doesn't update beyond the included versions. 

I tried to copy the beta firmware files over to cfm 9144's  Wifiaccessory folder but as soon as i run CFM they disappear.   

Edited by astrovoyeur, 16 June 2019 - 11:56 AM.

#16 astrovoyeur

astrovoyeur

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 June 2019 - 04:47 PM

I managed to copy the beta firmware into the CFM9144 folder and attempted to connect and upgrade.  It took nearly a dozen attempts to connect and detect the SPwifi device.   But it still reported the v2.0.0 was current.   
I've got CFM set to offline.   I start with the mount off, my notebooks wifi off and CFM not loaded.  I first turn on the mount, followed by enabling my notebooks wifi and connecting to the spwifi.   I then start CFM once i see the link light on the skyportal wifi device go to the slow rate.   Sometimes I'm lucky and CFM detects the wifi device, but most of the time it doesn't detect and I have to start all over.    

What I've found from my ping test after establishing a connection between the SPwiifi device and the notebook is that it will ping for about 5 seconds and then become unresponsive and the pings will time out. 

Screen Shot 06-16-19 at 03.05 PM.PNG

pingM.PNG

Edited by astrovoyeur, 16 June 2019 - 05:37 PM.

#17 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 16 June 2019 - 06:35 PM

Hi astrovoyeur,

Celestron really needs you to post your testing results at TeamCelestron.com.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
https://www.nexstarsite.com

#18 astrovoyeur

astrovoyeur

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 June 2019 - 07:20 PM

Hi astrovoyeur,

Celestron really needs you to post your testing results at TeamCelestron.com.

I will as soon as I'm satisfied I'm doing it correctly.  Although you pointed me to your webpage I found nothing on flashing the Skyportal wifi device.  So I've been flying by the seat of my pants. 

Jeff

#19 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 16 June 2019 - 07:44 PM

Hey Jeff,

The thing is, this beta version of CFM and WiFi firmware is the very first release of WiFi firmware by Celestron.  I'm conversing with Celestron's software engineers to nail down the details on what is turning out to be a somewhat complicated set of scenarios when it comes to updating Celestron's 3 different generations of WiFi adapters as well as the two embedded WiFi modules (Evolution and Astro Fi).  

So, in this case TeamCelestron.com is the place you need to go in this case to have someone review what you are doing and seeing and tell you if you are doing things correctly.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

#20 astrovoyeur

astrovoyeur

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 June 2019 - 08:29 PM

I hear what you're saying Mike I just think its odd the beta package doesn't even contain a clue as to how to get started although it was posted in this very thread 2 months ago TC was telling people the wifi module had to be update via wifi.  They could have at least included that little detail and whatever other little tidbits they've learned since, saving us all a lot of time and trouble.  

I will post my finding to the beta group, but first I want to run a few other test on the connection.  It has me puzzled as to why I'm getting the 2 different ping errors. "host unreachable" and the time outs.

Jeff. 

#21 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 16 June 2019 - 08:52 PM

Yep - I've made that point clear to them a number of times.  They are under the impression it is all totally intuitive.  Apparently it is not or I wouldn't have to devote an entire section of my website to firmware updates :-)

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

#22 skaiser

skaiser

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: dallas Texas

Posted 16 June 2019 - 10:21 PM

All
I hope to clarify something (at least in my mind) about the WiFi modules.
Per previous discussions on the teamcelestron web site:
My understanding is , the "3rd generation WiFi modules" (AMW007) which contain a dedicated bridge circuit,
are the ONLY WiFi modules that can have its software updated.

So , my understanding is, the latest WiFi Accessory Update , posted on teamcelestron site will only work for 3rd generation WiFi modules.

take care

Steve

#23 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 16 June 2019 - 11:20 PM

All
My understanding is , the "3rd generation WiFi modules" (AMW007) which contain a dedicated bridge circuit,

So , my understanding is, the latest WiFi Accessory Update , posted on teamcelestron site will only work for 3rd generation WiFi modules.

take care

Steve

Hi Steve,

Yes, that is part of the picture I'm collecting.  But, I'm also collecting some details about the Evolution and Astro Fi built-in WiFi module as well as some interesting scenarios where you might need to connect via the hand control and in other cases you might need to connect via WiFi :-)

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

#24 astrovoyeur

astrovoyeur

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:58 AM

All

take care

Steve

Thanks Steve, you saved me a lot of time and frustration.  I can't believe Celestron could leave out such a vital detail as compatible models.

It really surprises me that the $100 skyportal module doesn't have a web interface  Even the $20 wifi controlled wall outlets have web interfaces.

Based on my experience with other wifi controlled devices, wifi is a horrible interface.   I have bluetooth on my lx200 and it's rock solid. Unfortunately it doesn't work with IOS. 

Do you recall if the AMW007 is the only one having reconnect problems?     I know my 5 month old AMW006 hangs a lot, but will usually free up in 10-20 seconds.  

Thanks again

Jeff

#25 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:11 PM

Thanks Steve, you saved me a lot of time and frustration.  I can't believe Celestron could leave out such a vital detail as compatible models.

It really surprises me that the $100 skyportal module doesn't have a web interface  Even the $20 wifi controlled wall outlets have web interfaces.

Based on my experience with other wifi controlled devices, wifi is a horrible interface.   I have bluetooth on my lx200 and it's rock solid. Unfortunately it doesn't work with IOS. 

Do you recall if the AMW007 is the only one having reconnect problems?     I know my 5 month old AMW006 hangs a lot, but will usually free up in 10-20 seconds.  

Thanks again

Jeff

I have verified that this beta firmware recently announced on TeamCelestron.com is only for Celestron's 3rd generation WiFi modules, both the external SkyPortal adapter and recently manufactured Evolution and Astro Fi mounts.  3rd gen modules can be identified two ways.  First, the network name (SSID) presented by the module is Celestron-xxx while the 2nd gen modules present Celestron-xx and the 1st gen present SkyQLink-xx.   The second way to identify 3rd gen involves running CFM and connecting to the mount via either WiFi or serial/USB.  CFM identifies the 3rd gen modules as AMW007 and 2nd gen modules as AMW006.  The 1st gen module is not even seen by CFM.

Once this new firmware is released to the public, I'll be posting a new article in the Firmware section of my website discussing updates to the WiFi module.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

• saguaro likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics