•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

DSLR not supported in BYE / BYN - Next option

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 2ndRecon

2ndRecon

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Dallas, TX

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:06 PM

How many folks found their older DX format DSLR wasn't supported by BYE, and ended up getting a supported Body ?

Or, now that CCD has progressed to a point where it's serviceable, just say THWI and bought a CCD ?

Looking at total cost outlay, and knowing I am not going to publish for S&T, I am thinking even a used kit body w/ 50mm is more expensive that just using ccd.

What say you ?

#2 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Voorhees, NJ

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:53 PM

As far as quality, there are plenty of examples all over the internet of excellent work with both.

Camera technical quality is light years ahead of most photographer's skill level, so the operator is usually the limiting factor, not the camera.

If it's just about cost, then you can get a used  Nikon D5300 for about $300 these days.

You're not going to find anything like that in a CCD or CMOS astro camera for that price for that sensor size.

And, you can use a DSLR for daytime stuff, and you don't have to have a computer at the scope to use it.

Jerry

#3 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Aurora

• ****-
  • Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:12 PM

Camera technical quality is light years ahead of most photographer's skill level, so the operator is usually the limiting factor, not the camera.

If it's just about cost, then you can get a used  Nikon D5300 for about $300 these days.

You're not going to find anything like that in a CCD or CMOS astro camera for that price for that sensor size.

Jerry

+1... used D5300. 

The "astrocam" version using the same chip in the D5300 goes for $1,999.00........

Edited by 17.5Dob, 16 April 2019 - 01:11 PM.

#4 OldManSky

OldManSky

Apollo

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:16 PM

See if it's supported in DigiCamControl:

http://digicamcontrol.com/cameras

That way you can at least try it and see how it goes.  DigiCamControl is full-featured and free.

#5 Kendahl

Kendahl

Apollo

• Loc: Omaha, Nebraska

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:01 PM

Depending on the project, I sometimes use Canon's EOS Utility software instead of Backyard EOS to run my T3i from my computer. Did something similar come with your DX?

• Dwight J likes this

#6 Stephen S.

Stephen S.

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:34 PM

Maybe look at qdslrdashboard?

cheers,

Stephen

#7 Scoutmaster Jim

Scoutmaster Jim

Explorer 1

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:38 AM

I've just started using Astrophotography Tool. It even has plate solving capabilities. I use it with my camera attached to a scope but the camera control is pretty much the same as Backyard EOS.....and did I mention it was FREE??

• elmiko likes this

#8 SteveInNZ

SteveInNZ

Viking 1

• Loc: Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 17 April 2019 - 03:54 PM

How about an intervalometer and your eyeball like in the olden days.

Steve.

#9 KLWalsh

KLWalsh

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 21 April 2019 - 09:09 AM

How about an intervalometer and your eyeball like in the olden days.

Steve.

‘Olden days’?
For some of us, ‘olden days’ was an SLR loaded with a roll of 103AO film, an eyeball glued for an hour to a guidescope with crosshairs, and WWV ticking away on the radio in the background.
  • Starman27, elmiko, whwang and 1 other like this

#10 SteveInNZ

SteveInNZ

Viking 1

• Loc: Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 21 April 2019 - 05:27 PM

‘Olden days’?
For some of us, ‘olden days’ was an SLR loaded with a roll of 103AO film, an eyeball glued for an hour to a guidescope with crosshairs, and WWV ticking away on the radio in the background.

Indeed. I still have a sore back from guiding on Halley's comet at some odd angle through an undriven Eq mounted Newt for 25 minutes before a police car went past and spotlighted me to see what I was doing. Grrrrr. Maybe next time. :)

Steve.

• elmiko, bsavoie and KLWalsh like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics