•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Moon: 2019-04-15

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BillHarris

BillHarris

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: northwest Alabama

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:01 AM

I took the Questar put between 8:00 and 10:00 for lunar observation.
Gassendi was a couple of hours past the terminator and was wonderfully detailed with rilles and ridges. Enke and Kepler stood out in stark relief on the Mare. The terminator is several hours away from the Marius Dome region and no domes were visible. Likewise, the terminator was a few hours from the Aristarchus highland, and watching sunrise over that wonderful region will need to wait til another lunation.
On the fully illuminated disk, I was able to make out the white 'ghost of the Hyginius rille; the Treisnecker complex eluded me. Likewise, I could not make out a high-sun Straight Wall or the secondary crater chains around Copernicus.
These observations were made initially at 160x using the 16mm Brandon with Barlow. I repeated the observations with my excellent University Optics 12.5mm Plossl.with Barlow at 200x. I feel that there could be room for more magnification and am considering getting an 8mm eyepiece. What is the eye relief on the 8mm Questar Brandon like?

Hopefully it will be clear tomorrow night since the Marius Done region and the Aristarchus plateau will be in full glory.
  • BFaucett likes this

#2 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:49 AM

Bill, I don't have the answer to your question about eyepieces, but your post will generate responses in the lunar observing forum, rather than imaging.  Perhaps you could ask a moderator to move it there.  

• BillHarris likes this

#3 BillHarris

BillHarris

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:12 AM

Thanks Tom! I mis-posted this and couldn't find it last night after I posed it. I thought it was in the Lunar Observing section. I'll get it moved.

#4 BillHarris

BillHarris

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:43 PM

Fooey. Got up to set up the scope and it had clouded up. Astronomers spend more time standing around looking with their hands in their pockets looking up at the cloudy sky.

But on a positive note, I did get improved attachment to the mount finished and also got the Questar clock drive operational.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics