•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Adapter weight limit and thread depth

accessories beginner equipment
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 feygan

feygan

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Romania

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:29 AM

Hello everybody,

It's my first time using adapters and I've got some concerns.

I'm using an iOptron SkyGuider PRO mount and on top of that I got a really sturdy ball-head from Manfrotto.

I recently bought a William Optics Zenithstar 61 Refractor and I plan to use it with my Sony A6300. The thing is that my camera will stand on the ballhead and the refractor will be connected to the camera with some M48 adapters

Here is a very crude drawing of the setup:

badpaint.png

And here is the adapter (made of some metal alloy) that will connect everything:

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

Basically my question is: is the "thread depth" long enough to support around 2 kg of weight? What is the general rule of thumb to consider when screwing adapters one into another?

PS: This might be a silly question, I'm really bad at handy-work / mechanics smile.gif

Thanks!

Edited by feygan, 16 April 2019 - 04:33 AM.

#2 RaulTheRat

RaulTheRat

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:45 AM

It'll be fine, you'd be surprised how much load that much thread could support...

Any concerns, just thread it together and give it a good wobble - if you can't feel it moving it's fine.
  • feygan likes this

#3 CharlesW

CharlesW

Long time member

• ***--
  • Loc: Chula Vista, CA

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:38 AM

Can you attach the scope foot to the Skyguider. It will be a lot more stabile. 

• OldManSky and feygan like this

#4 OldManSky

OldManSky

Apollo

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:16 PM

Yes, that.  With your camera on the back of the Z61, the center of balance will be right about where the scope's foot is.  Attach it to the mount there, not at the camera, where ALL of the weight will be hanging off the front of the camera.  My worry wouldn't be how much your adapter can take, it would be how much your camera's mount can take.  Having that snap off would be really, really bad.

• feygan likes this

#5 Stephen S.

Stephen S.

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:27 PM

+1

#6 feygan

feygan

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Romania

Posted 17 April 2019 - 02:29 PM

I just attached the scope foot directly to the mount as you guys suggested and it seemed very solid.Thanks everybody for the advice!

• Stephen S. and OldManSky like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, beginner, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics