•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ed Jones parabolizing - can anyone elaborate?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lognic04

Lognic04

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Melbourne, Aus

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:51 AM

Hi all,

For my 10 inch f3 mirror i have been starting to use the Ed jones method of parabolising. It took him approximately 2.5 hours to parabolise an 8 inch f3. I am using the technique he shows in his videos, 5 inch tool, and half half edge to edge strokes, and half elliptical/oval strokes. 

I have been working the long straight strokes more to more aggresively "hog" the center but it has hardly done anything over 30 mins of work. I have been working the ovals to cross the center at the closest, but not with the center, and at the furthest just kissing the left edge, so not a centered oval. Obviously this seems to be nowhere near as agressive as the method he is using, although i am trying to imitate it. Any input?

Thanks

#2 Ed Jones

Ed Jones

Soyuz

• Loc: Sin-sin-atti

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:01 AM

Logan,

My method is right out of the "master"  Texereau's book page 97.  It's possible to spend too much time at the 70% zone and not much happens.  OTOH don't spend too much time in the center or you can dig a hole.

#3 Lognic04

Lognic04

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:25 AM

Hi Ed,

In your video you state you use oval strokes. Is that used with the texerau method? or is that on it's own as a specific method, sorry just a bit confised. the video in question is the 8 inch f3 mirror.

#4 Garyth64

Garyth64

Soyuz

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:42 AM

This page?

Texereau pg 97.jpg

• Jon Isaacs, PrestonE and Venetia2004 like this

#5 Ed Jones

Ed Jones

Soyuz

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:00 AM

Yes I round off my stroke just so I don't have the start stop that a W gives so it ends up being long oval when the spindle is turning, sometimes circular but not as a rule. 

Yes that's the page.

Edited by Ed Jones, 16 April 2019 - 09:24 AM.

#6 Ed Jones

Ed Jones

Soyuz

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:37 AM

Texereau is assuming a fixed post but I use the spindle on my polisher.  I still make sort of a W but with ovals.  It is easy to dig a hole with a sub diameter lap.

• MKV likes this

#7 Lognic04

Lognic04

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 April 2019 - 05:17 PM

Thanks Ed. Sorry about the confusion, I'll give that a go today

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics