•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astronomy Now Magazine night vision astronomy article

NV
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Gavster

Gavster

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:56 AM

In the latest issue of Astronomy Now magazine there is a 6 page article written by me and fellow CN member Highburymark on night vision. Those of you that get this magazine, I hope you enjoy the article. Any thoughts/comments please let us know (bearing in mind we are UK based so do have NV equipment constraints such as afocal only)

Attached Thumbnails

• F4A90E3E-7525-4C14-9798-8B2A6AA393BB.jpeg

• Jeff Morgan, ccs_hello, Ptarmigan and 12 others like this

#2 slavicek

slavicek

Mariner 2

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:20 PM

Will do as you said Gavster. I am expecting my copy of AN in about a week. 

#3 Highburymark

Highburymark

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 April 2019 - 05:43 AM

Hope this will help spread the word in the UK - we only know of four night vision astronomers here, so have relied on Cloudy Nights for much of our information when researching NV. Added challenge is the cost of image intensifiers here - probably 50% more than the US. But we're delighted that the magazine has run the whole 2500 word article
  • GeezerGazer and chemisted like this

#4 PEterW

PEterW

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 20 April 2019 - 06:17 AM

Seven.... still not enough for a football team! Great article, well balanced, detailed and great images.

PEter

#5 careysub

careysub

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Posted 20 April 2019 - 10:15 AM

I just ordered this issue from the publisher, cost is $16.42.

#6 slavicek

slavicek

Mariner 2

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:26 PM

I (finally) got my AN copy. The NV Article explains the NV in plain language so I think it will generate some interest - until, of course, one reads the paragraph which talks about the cost of NV. shocked.gif

From my experience with NV so far I'd say the pictures represent observing from suburban site.

And, even thou MOD3 is not currently available in the UK, I'd still mention it in the article.

And, if I lived in UK, I'd seriously consider modifying the PVS-14 into MOD3 like device - that could be a subject of next article.

#7 PEterW

PEterW

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 30 April 2019 - 12:30 PM

There is the lower cost intens echo that no one has tried yet and you can sometimes find suitable NV secondhand much cheaper as the hunting fraternity move over to digital and thermal.

The 55mm eyepiece focal reduction trick gives greater flexibility and reduction.. but it does end up with a huge tubular device poking out your scope.

All the best

Peter

#8 Highburymark

Highburymark

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 April 2019 - 02:04 PM

Ouch.
Hope the issue will be worth it

#9 chemisted

chemisted

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 May 2019 - 07:28 AM

My local Barnes and Noble carries AN.  When I was in last week they still had the April issue on the rack but I will get the May issue as soon as it arrives.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics