•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Put Up/Take Down - Observatory 51

• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

#176 PirateMike

PirateMike

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 27 August 2019 - 07:03 PM

I'm not to worried about me smile.gif , but the storm may cause problems for others frown.gif . It's not going to be another Maria, that's for sure. waytogo.gif

Thanks for the thoughts and see you on the sunny side! 

Miguel   8-)

#177 Tom K

Tom K

Viking 1

• Loc: Escondido, CA

Posted 30 August 2019 - 12:23 AM

Miguel - looks like you dodged the bullet, but those folks in Florida may not be so lucky.   For me - I will take the earthquakes and wildfires over those hurricanes!

• OldManSky likes this

#178 PirateMike

PirateMike

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 September 2019 - 11:49 PM

Well it has been some time since I worked on my observatory, but the fire has been re-ignited and I will soon be working on it again, and I mean it this time! waytogo.gif

I seemed to have been side tracked by various other "Astro Projects" which are in the works but now is the time to make some progress on Observatory 51.

Please excuse my laziness and let's see how things move forward.

Miguel   8-)

• OldManSky likes this

#179 Tom K

Tom K

Viking 1

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:24 AM

popcorn.gif popcorn.gif

• PirateMike likes this

#180 wargrafix

wargrafix

Aurora

• Loc: Trinidad

Posted 01 October 2019 - 01:20 PM

I hope your build goes well, as for your "neighbours", less I say the better. But the hurricane missed an opportunity

• PirateMike likes this

#181 PirateMike

PirateMike

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 October 2019 - 11:37 PM

I sense a bit of doubt.....  Tom.  lol.gif

Miguel   8-)

#182 Tom K

Tom K

Viking 1

Posted 02 October 2019 - 07:09 AM

No doubt here - just looking forward to the results!  As a person who envies all observatories - especially those that are not the standard type - I am watching this thread with interest.

• PirateMike likes this

#183 SteveGR

SteveGR

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Michigan

Posted 02 October 2019 - 02:01 PM

Well it has been some time since I worked on my observatory, but the fire has been re-ignited and I will soon be working on it again, and I mean it this time! waytogo.gif

I seemed to have been side tracked by various other "Astro Projects" which are in the works but now is the time to make some progress on Observatory 51.

Please excuse my laziness and let's see how things move forward.

Miguel   8-)

What are observing conditions there at this time of year?  Lots of cloud and rain here.

• PirateMike likes this

#184 PirateMike

PirateMike

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 October 2019 - 03:49 PM

We have been cloudy with showers for the last week or so, but late in the night it has been mostly clear, but shower do pop up so caution is needed when imaging.

I imagine that soon we will be out of this temporary misery and thing will go back to their normal weather pattern.

Miguel   8-)

• warwolf22 likes this

#185 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:54 PM

Any updates??
  • PirateMike and Bagwell like this

#186 PirateMike

PirateMike

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 March 2020 - 11:43 AM

Hey Chris,

I guess I have a few updates and none of them seem to be good.

First of all I had been taking care of my elderly mother for quite some time. On Jan 30th she suffered a stroke and was hospitalized until Feb 14th when she was sent home. She passed away 5 days later as we quietly watched TV together. Even though I knew something like this would eventually happen there is really no way to be totally prepared, my heart is broken and I miss my mother greatly.

A week after we put my mother to rest I fell in my house and broke my femur resulting in a complete hip replacement. I was released from the "Therapy Hospital" only to be thrust into the "Brave New World" of covid 19.

So not much good has been happening here lately, but not to worry, I will get back to Astronomy as soon as I am able. Decisions will need to be made as far as the observatory is concerned but that will mostly depend on my future physical ability.

Miguel   8-)

Edited by PirateMike, 30 March 2020 - 11:44 AM.

#187 Bagwell

Bagwell

Mariner 2

• Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 30 March 2020 - 02:53 PM

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that Miguel.   I know it is a terrible thing to lose your loved one.   I hope at least it was peaceful and her being at home with you seems like a much better way to pass than in some hospital or other bad situation.   I am very sorry for your loss.   The circle of life can be so great and so tough at times.  I hope great things for you and for your full recovery.   Looking forward to the day you get back in the saddle.   smile.gif  

Stay safe.

Vaughn

Edited by Bagwell, 30 March 2020 - 02:54 PM.

• PirateMike likes this

#188 PirateMike

PirateMike

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 March 2020 - 10:37 PM

Thanks Vaughn,

My mother did leave us in the manner that she wished, that being at home and peacefully.

As for me, I hope it won't be to long before I get imaging again.

Miguel   8-)

Edited by PirateMike, 30 March 2020 - 10:38 PM.

• Starsareus and Bagwell like this

#189 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 31 March 2020 - 12:01 AM

So sorry to hear what you’ve been through, Miguel. I hope you’re on the men’s physically and emotionally. Hang in there, pal. The stars will be waiting.

• PirateMike likes this

#190 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 31 March 2020 - 08:57 AM

(that was supposed to be "on the mend..."  tablet auto-correct!)

• PirateMike likes this

#191 Tom K

Tom K

Viking 1

Posted 31 March 2020 - 09:51 PM

Good vibes heading your way Miguel - I think once we are all on the other side of the COVID thing - and others in your case - we will have a new appreciation for the little things that bring us joy as we work our way through life.   

Many of us have great images that are on our hard drives and perhaps Astrobin, but once we are gone nobody in our families will have a clue as to what we were up to for all those years.   I am thinking that my next project will be to find a good printing service to get prints made and give them as gifts so that perhaps a few decades after I am gone some distant relative will explain that the image was taken by their great uncle or something.

• PirateMike, SXBB and OldManSky like this

#192 SXBB

SXBB

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 April 2020 - 10:10 AM

Thinking of you Miguel...  Stay strong in this difficult time...

Best,

Bruce

#193 PirateMike

PirateMike

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 September 2020 - 04:54 AM

Hello Everyone,

Sorry for the long apparent suspension but thing are finally getting better, at least for me.

I finally feel that I am being released from my mental and emotional distress. I am once again enthused to continue with my astro-life. Thank you all for the kind and thoughtful wishes, you don't know how much I appreciate them. Never in my life have I felt such a warm connection to people that I have never actually met. Thank you again from the bottom of my heart.

For those who live in the west, please know that you are in my thoughts and that I pray that the current fires pass you by. I have been to California only once to hike the PCT for 6 months, such an incredibly beautiful place, you are fortunate to have such a world renowned environment to live within. Although the fires have destroyed much natural environment, I am sure that Mother Nature has taken it in stride and that she will rebound without much more than a shrug. But the losses suffered by the people will certainly leave a scar that will be much more difficult to heal. My thoughts go out to all the Western States and their inhabitants during this trying time. Be Strong my friends, this too will pass.

Miguel

Edited by PirateMike, 30 September 2020 - 05:00 AM.

• Chunkles and Bagwell like this

#194 PirateMike

PirateMike

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 September 2020 - 05:43 AM

So let me see, where did this thread leave off before we encountered the continuing disaster we all know as 2020?

Oh yes, last seasons episodes left us with three walls hanging onto a concrete pad. Since then and during my neglect, a wind storm had come by and blew one wall off the pad, leaving it laying on the grass face down and in a wounded state.

Now to fast forward to the present...

Last weekend my good friend Dr. E. came buy to help me restart this project. We stood up the wounded wall to the side of my house and washed the grime off and left it to dry. We also placed the other two walls back up onto the pad after separating them and putting some heavy foam insulation material on their bottom aluminum cross member and we left as such.

This week I took an inventory of the parts that had been previously produced and I can now report back that everything is in fine order and we are ready to continue with the build, LP be ****.

I have to admit that I was very pleased when Dr. E. commented on the design and the work accomplished so far. He said "You know, this is coming out really nice. When it's done, we could take the whole thing apart and put on a flat bed truck in twenty minutes." to which I replied," That's right, and we could have it back up and running in a much darker place in another 20 minutes too". Of course I was grinning from one ear to the other, he made my day. So now guess what we are looking for? I'll give you three chances to get your guesses right. grin.gif

So now, Dr. E. (yes, I do really call him that) will be coming over to help me build the "doorway" wall and to repair the "injured" wall, and then I will start imaging again. Times are looking up once again for me and my Obs.

Please stay tuned, the action is about to start once again,

Miguel   8-)

Edited by PirateMike, 30 September 2020 - 06:03 AM.

• Scott Mitchell, Tom K, mikerepp and 2 others like this

#195 PirateMike

PirateMike

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2020 - 02:31 PM

New Update... with progress. waytogo.gif

Things have been moving slower here than I thought, mainly because I need to rely on a friend to help with moving things around, but this issue will soon end and I'll be free to "Get'r Dun!

Just because I need to "rely" on Dr. E. at this time doesn't mean that I am dissatisfied. He has his life and schedule, but what is most important to me is that he is happy to help. I have known Dr. E. for some years now and he is someone that I respect and admire (even though he is still a young-en"). I would "catch the bullet" for this young man.

Well anyways... Dr. E. and myself did move the damaged wall to the garage the week before last and made all the major repairs before the evening was over. I did have one or two little things to complete before we could put back up on the pad.

Here is the wall laying on my work table. We replaced one panel for the outside surface and one for the inside. I think you could easily pick out which panel is one of the new ones in this picture! 

Laying Down sm.jpg

In the interim, I have been using this make shift solution. It seem that the "daughter" has joined the "light pollution making" party. It's such a coincidence that whenever I take my scope out to image her light magically goes on. It must be the motion sensor. 

Temp Wallsm.jpg

Miguel   8-)

Edited by PirateMike, 11 October 2020 - 02:32 PM.

• Bagwell likes this

#196 PirateMike

PirateMike

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2020 - 04:22 PM

Hey fellow Ob freaks,

Last Tuesday Dr. E. and I finally got the third wall up on the pad. This is what it looks like with a new coat of paint, just two more coats to go. Hopefully the stains on the old panel don't leach through.

Painted sm.jpg

This week I need to cut and cap off all the tubing for the final wall (yippie), the one that will be used for the entrance. Dr. E. will be passing by on Wednesday evening to help put all the pieces together, hopefully we will get it up on the pad too, we'll see.  After the last wall goes up I'll start working on the trim to spruce up "the box" a little. I'll also get around to put the flowers in all the way around (my Mems loved the idea of flowers more than anything else about this little project, so I am determined to do it, and to do it in memory of her).

Mems and Me at LH sm.jpg

Hey Mems, don't look back now, but I think John Wayne is checking you out. laugh.gif

I still haven't decided if I want to make this final vertical assembly a little "out of the box", but I'm thinking that I just might make it a little differently than usual, my idea does have it's advantages. If it doesn't work out I can always change it to something a little more "tried and true".

Have a few nice "Days to Come" until the next update on Thursday.

Peace and Clear Skies,

Miguel   8-)

Edited by PirateMike, 11 October 2020 - 05:36 PM.

• csa/montana, Scott Mitchell, Chunkles and 1 other like this

#197 PirateMike

PirateMike

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:58 PM

Good Afternoon,

So Thursday came and went without an update, sorry, but this man with two broken femurs has a hard time to keep to any schedule that requires physical activity.

But I did manage to get something done!

Table crsm.jpg

This is my little "Power Center" cabinet, it still needs a little work before I can call it completed. I'll probably build a better one, better custom fit when I change over to batteries as my only Obs power source... well excluding the extension cord which will power the charger.

I think it came out pretty good for a temporary three hour project. Pretty much just a quick "cut and paste" construction project.

Miguel   8-)

Edited by PirateMike, 18 October 2020 - 02:10 PM.

• Bagwell likes this

#198 PirateMike

PirateMike

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2020 - 02:06 PM

I also have all the tubing ready to be covered with PVC panels. I do need to cut the longer tubes one inch shorter due to a small design change.

In order to make this wall as strong as possible, after all it will be a little weaker than the other three because of the doorway, I will cover both sides with 1/2" panel verses the 1/4" panels that are on the inside of the other walls. This change will require a trip to the hardware store. crazy.gif

Here are the tubes nearly ready to go.

Tubes sm.jpg

Have a Nice and Peaceful Sunday,

Miguel   8-)

Edited by PirateMike, 18 October 2020 - 02:13 PM.

• mikerepp, SXBB and Bagwell like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics