•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

new black paint

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• topic starter
  • Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:00 AM

I was in my local hardware store yesterday, and there was a new line of Rustoleum camo-colors, including a flat black.  I bought a can, will test it against my can of Krylon camo-black (which is hard to find around here) and my current favorite, Rustoleum barbecue-black.  I'll report back in a couple of days.

• Toups, Augustus and cmooney91 like this

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Soyuz

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:49 AM

I was in my local hardware store yesterday, and there was a new line of Rustoleum camo-colors, including a flat black.  I bought a can, will test it against my can of Krylon camo-black (which is hard to find around here) and my current favorite, Rustoleum barbecue-black.  I'll report back in a couple of days.

Cool! I'll guess that they are pretty much identical... but you never know! Will also like any observations regarding drying time and durability.

#3 Ishtim

Ishtim

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: N. Alabama, USA

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:02 AM

Yes... Please share your findings. waytogo.gif

#4 Venetia2004

Venetia2004

Viking 1

• Loc: Lynnwood, WA

Posted 19 April 2019 - 03:11 PM

Here is a pick of the black paint that I currently use for my telescope parts...This is a pick of a secondary mirror cell for a 6 inch DK.

It's the same paint that I used on the dob that  I built  in 2000 and it was applied over sawdust ;it's been holding up really well...

Attached Thumbnails

• Krylon Kltra-Flat.jpeg

Edited by Venetia2004, 19 April 2019 - 03:21 PM.

#5 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2019 - 08:52 AM

I've found five varieties of flat black, and am now waiting for the spring monsoons to end so I can spray them all outside....

my plan is to spray them all onto stiff white paper (gray primer, then black) and cut them into strips that I will slide into a 4-6" cardboard tube, and photo it from one end, aimed at the sky, to see which has the lowest reflection.  I'll also not dry times as I go.....

• PrestonE and Venetia2004 like this

#6 PrestonE

PrestonE

Vanguard

• Loc: San Miguel de Allende,Mexico

Posted 20 April 2019 - 12:08 PM

Roscoe,   Your proposed test on stiff paper is great...If your going to use the

same paper for the final produce...

If your going to spray a different material for the final product...that test will be rather void,

as the surface of what you are applying the material will greatly affect the final result.

Polymer Chemist here that has done this far too many times to remember...just FYI.

Best Regards,

Preston

PS  as a side note, anodised black aluminum is the worst...an IR/UV reflector of the greatest magnatude...

• mcolbert and AstroKerr like this

#7 Auburn80

Auburn80

Viking 1

Posted 02 May 2019 - 10:30 AM

I've been debating what to do to blacken the interior of my Frankendob. Thoughts were to spray a sheet of poster material (about 1mm thick with a matte side and a semigloss side) then attach that with tape.

Do you think the sprayed sheet would stand up to changes in humidity?

An alternative would be to apply flocking to the material then install in the interior.

Edited by Auburn80, 02 May 2019 - 10:32 AM.

#8 careysub

careysub

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:18 PM

Hit it with a layer of clear acrylic spray before the flat black. That should moisture proof it sufficiently.

Edited by careysub, 02 May 2019 - 08:19 PM.

• Auburn80 likes this

#9 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• topic starter

Posted 03 May 2019 - 07:07 AM

Sorry I haven't gotten my testing done yet, it has been eternally cold and damp and foggy around here, and the few times with better weather I've been too busy with paid or farm work to devote the time....  I'm up to five varieties of black paint to test, however, so when the weather breaks, I'll be back.....

#10 starcanoe

starcanoe

Vanguard

• Loc: Gulf Coast, Panhandle of Florida

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:14 AM

Hit it with a layer of clear acrylic spray before the flat black. That should moisture proof it sufficiently.

If you can moisture proof it with something that tends to dry lumpy rather than smooth that will help. I seem to recall some sprays that went on with a very fine but rather not smooth texture to them. Then there are those paint sprays that have some very significant texture on them.

#11 luxo II

luxo II

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 06 May 2019 - 02:44 AM

Has anyone tried applying black paint, then while wet, give it a thorough dusting with rouge (the black stuff for polishing mirrors) ?

From my (distant) memory of the stuff it was blacker than any paint.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics