•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Backyard EOS lunar full disk

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:44 AM

I have tried on several occasions to capture the lunar full disk by shooting an avi in PLANETARY mode in BYEOS. My focus has been spot on and exposure and ISO just fine. Here's a downsized example of a frame from a recent 2000 I shot.

Planetary_Tv1320s_100iso_1056x704_20190316-18h48m08s_F_00001579.png

Trouble is when I stack in AS and sharpen in Reg6 the results are truly horrible.

Anyone else had any success with the moon in PLANETARY mode in BYEOS?

#2 rickmurray1989

rickmurray1989

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Hendersonville, TN US

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:25 AM

I have found Backyard EOS to be next to useless for capturing lunar images. Instead of using to capture relatively low-resolution AVI files, I use Canon Utility to remotely take full-size sequences RAW images, typically less than 100 or so. I import the RAW images into Lightroom and convert them from RAW files to TIFF files. I then process the TIFF images through AutoStakkert and Registax (for wavelet sharpening) before finishing the final stacked image in Lightroom. The nice thing about my approach is that I get to work with the full-resolution images (anywhere from 20 Mp to 30 Mp, depending upon which DSLR I am using at the time, typically a 6D full-frame).

Here is a sample from February 2019.

Moon Mosaic 12-15-18

Good luck,

Rick

• NMCN and wrnchhead like this

#3 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:43 AM

I have found Backyard EOS to be next to useless for capturing lunar images. Instead of using to capture relatively low-resolution AVI files, I use Canon Utility to remotely take full-size sequences RAW images, typically less than 100 or so. I import the RAW images into Lightroom and convert them from RAW files to TIFF files. I then process the TIFF images through AutoStakkert and Registax (for wavelet sharpening) before finishing the final stacked image in Lightroom. The nice thing about my approach is that I get to work with the full-resolution images (anywhere from 20 Mp to 30 Mp, depending upon which DSLR I am using at the time, typically a 6D full-frame).

Here is a sample from February 2019.

Good luck,

Rick

Thanks Rick

Good to hear that it's not me then where the problem lies. I knew about the RAW image-TIF method and I'll give that a try.

#4 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Gemini

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:08 AM

If I've ever used BYEOS for lunar imaging, it would have been several years ago and likely at a much higher resolution (individual craters, etc.).

So I can't offer advice on this one. Sorry.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics