•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M13 Globular Cluster in Hercules redo

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 elmiko

elmiko

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:17 AM

So, browsing different images on this wonderful website I came across a particular image of M13 by a fellow poster. A really beaufiful image and well processed, perhaps the best I have seen. This inspired me to rework my image of M13. My goal was to try and make mine as good as this image, not a chance! But I was still inspired nevertheless. 

Using the awesome tools in Pixinsite, which I am definitely no expert. I created a Lum mask to protect the background, and stretched the image and also increased the saturation a bit. I also used Local Histogram Equalization to try and bring back some details in the core of the cluster.  I used a Range mask for this process, one that protected everything but the core itself. My goal was trying to show the " propeller" in the core. I don't know how well it will show , but I like the improvement.

This was taken in my red zone backyard on Mar 25 2019

AstroTech 92Triplet F/ 5.5 AT2FF

Atik 420 osc -10c

141 60sec

50 bias 30 darks 30 flats

I will post the reprocessed image first. the old will follow.

Thanks for looking, Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• M13AT92_Mar2019_final_2.jpg

Edited by elmiko, 17 April 2019 - 09:55 AM.

• Mert, NMCN, lee14 and 5 others like this

#2 elmiko

elmiko

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:18 AM

The old.....

Attached Thumbnails

• M13AT92_Mar2019.jpg

#3 lee14

lee14

Viking 1

• Loc: CNY

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:53 AM

I agree, the reprocessed image is wonderful. But the other M13 image you referenced is beyond doubt the best I've ever seen, and sets the bar well out of reach for almost everyone. Yours is a great image, but I'm afraid I've been spoiled.

Lee

• elmiko likes this

#4 elmiko

elmiko

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:58 AM

Lol, thanks Lee. 

• lee14 likes this

#5 james7ca

james7ca

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:41 AM

Both images are more than decent, but I actually prefer the look of the "old" image. I think the second image has a slightly better color balance and fewer artifacts around the stars. That said, globular clusters are kind of an acquired "taste" and color balance if definitely something of personal preference.

Some also think that globular clusters are particularly hard to process and it's certainly true that really outstanding samples are kind of hard to find, but the same is true for just about any astrophotography subject.

Since M13 and M5 are starting to get popular right now I guess I need to go back and finish the RGB version of M13 that I started in 2017.

Edited by james7ca, 17 April 2019 - 10:44 AM.

• elmiko likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics